Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 18:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 1913
Followers: 459

Kudos [?]: 1777 [2] , given: 29

In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 08:57
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (02:25) correct 44% (01:29) wrong based on 196 sessions
In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s Republic of China, Zhou Enlai set in motion processes that had a major impact on U.S.-China relations: China entered the Korean War against the United States, at Zhou’s urging, and two decades later, because of Zhou, China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited.

(A) China entered the Korean War against the United States, at Zhou’s urging, and two decades later, because of Zhou, China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited.

(B) China entered the Korean War against the United States, at Zhou’s urging, and two decades later orchestrating Nixon’s visit and the normalization of US-China diplomatic connections

(C) Zhou urged China to enter the Korean War against the United States, and two decades later, because of Zhou, China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited.

(D) Zhou urged China to enter the Korean War against the United States, and two decades later he orchestrated Nixon’s visit and the normalization of US-China diplomatic connections

(E) the US fought against China in the Korean War, because Zhou urged them, and two decades later, Nixon visited China and normalized US-China diplomatic connections, again because of him.


For a discussion of Rhetorical Construction, one of the most important areas the GMAT tests on SC, as well as an explanation to this question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/rhetorical ... orrection/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 545 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 11:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mikemcgarry wrote:
In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s Republic of China, Zhou Enlai set in motion processes that had a major impact on U.S.-China relations: China entered the Korean War against the United States, at Zhou’s urging, and two decades later, because of Zhou, China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited.

(A) China entered the Korean War against the United States, at Zhou’s urging, and two decades later, because of Zhou, China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited.

(B) China entered the Korean War against the United States, at Zhou’s urging, and two decades later orchestrating Nixon’s visit and the normalization of US-China diplomatic connections

(C) Zhou urged China to enter the Korean War against the United States, and two decades later, because of Zhou, China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited.

(D) Zhou urged China to enter the Korean War against the United States, and two decades later he orchestrated Nixon’s visit and the normalization of US-China diplomatic connections

(E) the US fought against China in the Korean War, because Zhou urged them, and two decades later, Nixon visited China and normalized US-China diplomatic connections, again because of him.


For a discussion of Rhetorical Construction, one of the most important areas the GMAT tests on SC, as well as an explanation to this question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/rhetorical ... orrection/

Mike :-)


Hii Mike.
It would be great if you clarify on one issue.
Quote:
Zhou Enlai set in motion processes that had a major impact on U.S.-China relations:
, this quote is followed by a "colon" at the end. Hence shouldn't we be concerned about the impacts rather than about those which were done by Zhou.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2012
Posts: 43
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 23

Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 21:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
Isn't there a quite a big shift in the meaning in D). It says "he orchestrated Nixon’s visit " while the original sentence just says "when Nixon visited". Therefore one means that Zhou was responsible for Nixon's visit while the other doesn't say so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 337
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 33

Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 07:52
Kinghyts exactly my feeling as well about option D! imo it should be C
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 120
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 08:20
I selected D because less bad then others.

A and C out because of China ... their... incorrect

B have SV error as there is no verb in 2nd clause

E changed the meaning. by saying US fought againt china while they fought againts Korea and china was helping korea.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 08:43
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(C) Zhou urged China to enter the Korean War against the United States, and two decades later, because of Zhou, China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited.

(D) Zhou urged China to enter the Korean War against the United States, and two decades later he orchestrated Nixon’s visit and the normalization of US-China diplomatic connections

Between (C) & (D), I ended up choosing (D). It is arguable that there is a shift in meaning, but I opted for the choice that maintains parallelism better.

(C) is he urged....and because of...blah blah & there is a S/V issue with China and "their"...correct pronoun should be "its"
(D) is he urged...and he orchestrated -- parallel structure is maintained. The wording doesn't seem typical of GMAT Prep / OG questions though
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 1913
Followers: 459

Kudos [?]: 1777 [0], given: 29

Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 09:20
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Hii Mike.
It would be great if you clarify on one issue.
Quote:
Zhou Enlai set in motion processes that had a major impact on U.S.-China relations:
, this quote is followed by a "colon" at the end. Hence shouldn't we be concerned about the impacts rather than about those which were done by Zhou.

Hmm. This is a gray area, not a black & white thing. One perspective is --- what's the most striking, the most interesting, about the entire sentence before the first part? Zhou himself seems more important than than impacts, so arguably some of the focus is already on him. After the colon, the information is not so much about "wow, this impact was big! wow, that impact was big" --- it's arguably more about Zhou, again, than the impacts. In other words, there's not a rigid rule about the colon, and to some extent, it depends on the rhetorical organization of the entire sentence --- which is exactly what this question is testing.
Does this make sense? What do you think?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 1913
Followers: 459

Kudos [?]: 1777 [0], given: 29

Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 09:37
Expert's post
kinghyts wrote:
Isn't there a quite a big shift in the meaning in D). It says "he orchestrated Nixon’s visit " while the original sentence just says "when Nixon visited". Therefore one means that Zhou was responsible for Nixon's visit while the other doesn't say so.

vibhav wrote:
Kinghyts exactly my feeling as well about option D! imo it should be C

Good people,
I point out that (C) has an inexcusable pronoun error ----
"...because of Zhou, China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited."
Yes, there are a whole lot of people in China, but the noun "China" itself is singular. A singular noun demands a singular pronoun. Be careful with this --- the GMAT loves catching people in this mistake: using a singular collective noun (e.g. a company, a city, a country, etc.) and following it with a plural pronoun. See this blog for more details:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-pronoun-traps/

As to kinghyts objection to (D) ---- it's very subtle. The original says: "because of Zhou, China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited." In other words, Zhou was the cause, the agent, that set in motion this series of events. It's unambiguous that Zhou caused China to normalize diplomatic relations with the US. Did Zhou also cause Nixon's visit? Think about it this way. Given (A), we could interpret this two ways
(1) Zhou caused both Nixon's visit and the diplomatic normalization
(2) Nixon just happened to be popping in for a visit, and Zhou essentially said, "Gee, Dick, while you happen to be here, let's normalize relations!"
First of all, (A) leaves both of those possibilities open, because it's ambiguous. Any answer that clarifies ambiguity is doing something positive. Furthermore --- here we get into some very subtle SC & CR ground about real world stuff that students kinda should appreciate to have a sense of what's plausible. In international relationship, scenario #1 is both what one would expect to happen and, in fact, what historically happened. Scenario #2 is 100% unrealistic: the president of the US, the most powerful office in the world, doesn't make a visit to a country, especially a huge power player like China, without a meticulously defined agenda. That agenda needs to be "orchestrated" by someone, and since (A) says the whole thing was "because of Zhou", it's not a stretch at all to say he orchestrated it.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Neeley Thread Master
avatar
Status: Prep Mode
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 165
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 10:50
Well, Mike, I would like to disagree with your line of reasoning with Choice D.

Original choice A meaning:
Yes, Zhou made a huge impact and did the following
1) At Zhou's urging: China entered the Korean War against the United States
2) Because of Zhou: China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited.
This clearly implies that when Nixon visited China, Zhou played a vital role in normalizing the diplomatic connections between US and China.

Choice D:
1) Zhou urged China to enter the Korean War against the United States.
2) Two decades later Zhou orchestrated :
a) Nixon’s visit
b) the normalization of US-China diplomatic connections
This clearly implies that Nixon's visit and the normalization of US-China diplomatic relations were independent events.

I believe this is a significant shift in meaning from the original sentence.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4514
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1010

Kudos [?]: 4296 [3] , given: 161

Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 20:42
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Gian wrote:
Well, Mike, I would like to disagree with your line of reasoning with Choice D.

Original choice A meaning:
Yes, Zhou made a huge impact and did the following
1) At Zhou's urging: China entered the Korean War against the United States
2) Because of Zhou: China normalized their diplomatic connections with the US when Nixon visited.
This clearly implies that when Nixon visited China, Zhou played a vital role in normalizing the diplomatic connections between US and China.

Choice D:
1) Zhou urged China to enter the Korean War against the United States.
2) Two decades later Zhou orchestrated :
a) Nixon’s visit
b) the normalization of US-China diplomatic connections
This clearly implies that Nixon's visit and the normalization of US-China diplomatic relations were independent events.

I believe this is a significant shift in meaning from the original sentence.


Responding to a pm:

I will try to clarify two objections here:
1. This quote is followed by a "colon" at the end. Hence shouldn't we be concerned about the impacts
2. Shift in meaning from the original sentence


1. Consider this:
He got me the things that I need for the party: pop, chips...
Is there any confusion here? The things after the colon are the things I need. We should not list my needs, right?
'that I need for the party' modifies 'the things'. The list is the list of things.

Zhou Enlai set in motion processes that had a major impact on U.S.-China relations: ...
We will list the processes here which are more than one. Note the use of 'a major impact' - we are not expecting a list of impacts.

So what are the processes he set in motion?
a. He urged China to enter the Korean War against the United States
b. he orchestrated Nixon’s visit and the normalization of US-China diplomatic connections

2. The first issue with objection 2 is that there is no 'original meaning' nor any 'original sentence'. You know that option (A) is often incorrect (well in 80% of the cases). Why are you convinced that it relays the accurate meaning? 'Meaning question' does not mean 'keep the meaning of option A intact' - it means it should make logical sense e.g.
I will try and win the game. - Illogical
I will try to win the game. - Correct

Taking care of pronouns and keeping parallelism intact, I would go with (D). Also, as Mike explained above, it is logical that Zhou orchestrated Nixon's visit to normalize connections. It is highly unlikely that Nixon went visiting country after country hoping come relations will fall in place somewhere. It is a single process - Nixon visited with an agenda to do something about the connections. Zhou orchestrated his visit and also played a part in actually normalizing the diplomatic connections (perhaps by influencing who Nixon talks with and how the talks go etc).

But you don't really need to think this much in detail. Focus on pronouns, parallelism and ensure that your choice makes logical sense.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1425
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 545 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 01:37
Expert's post
Neeley Thread Master
avatar
Status: Prep Mode
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 165
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 04:09
Thanks Karishma, I can see your point. I delved too deep in the meaning.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 91
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 47

Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 11:16
Thanks Krishma for clearing my doubt I was thinking on the similar we should keep the meaning same .. but as you mentioned it should also make sense.
Re: In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2014, 11:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 During the Civil war, nearly three times crazyaboutgmat1 2 14 Sep 2013, 14:36
1 Nearly one in three subscribers to Financial Forecaster is a soniedarshan 3 10 Jun 2013, 01:45
11 In 1990, nearly 80% of people in the United States reported thelosthippie 5 02 May 2013, 23:40
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Since a decade ago, the cost of living has multiplied nearly feruz77 2 25 Oct 2010, 00:42
Three business people Other 4 03 Aug 2010, 03:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In his nearly three decades as the Premier of the People’s

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.