Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross national

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross national [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 14:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (01:46) correct 18% (00:43) wrong based on 111 sessions
In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross national product is spent on defense of their coasts from rising seas than is spent on military defense in the United States.

(A) In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross national product is spent on defense of their coasts from rising seas than is spent on military defense in the United States.
(B) In Holland they spend a larger percentage of their gross national product on defending their coasts from rising seas than the United States does on military defense.
(C) A larger percentage of Holland’s gross national product is spent on defending their coasts from rising seas than the United States spends on military defense.
(D) Holland spends a larger percentage of its gross national product defending its coasts from rising seas than the military defense spending of the United States.
(E) Holland spends a larger percentage of its gross national product on defending its coasts from rising seas than the United States does on military defense.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 21 Jul 2013, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: Sc-Defense [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 19:08
nitinneha wrote:
384. In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross national product is spent on defense of their coasts from rising seas than is spent on military defense in the United States.
(A) In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross national product is spent on defense of their coasts from rising seas than is spent on military defense in the United States.
(B) In Holland they spend a larger percentage of their gross national product on defending their coasts from rising seas than the United States does on military defense.
(C) A larger percentage of Holland’s gross national product is spent on defending their coasts from rising seas than the United States spends on military defense.
(D) Holland spends a larger percentage of its gross national product defending its coasts from rising seas than the military defense spending of the United States.
(E) Holland spends a larger percentage of its gross national product on defending its coasts from rising seas than the United States does on military defense.

E-correctly draws comparsions between Holland and US
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 19:24
E !

Do you have any new question ? These questions are rotten old ...

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 07:33
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
E !

These might be old foryou. But there are many new people around. Please be a little considerate and stop discouraging people from posting.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 08:10
goalsnr wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
E !

These might be old foryou. But there are many new people around. Please be a little considerate and stop discouraging people from posting.

Swagatalakshmi maybe you are looking in the wrong places for SC practice or maybe you've had enuf practice for now.... go write a book on SC or something. And offer it to GMATClubbers at a discount? :wink:

BTW goalsnr I really miss your avatar. I thought it was cool.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 99

In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross natio [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 09:34
In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross national product is spent on defense of their coasts from rising seas than is spent on military defense in the United States.

Can youpeople please tell me is there any comparison error in option A

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Last edited by Zarrolou on 21 Jul 2013, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [1] , given: 122

Re: In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross natio [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
skamal7 wrote:

Can youpeople please tell me is there any comparison error in option A

Hi skamal7

A has two problems:

Problem #1: Meaning
The structure is: In Holland, a larger percentage of GDP is spent on X than is spent on Y in the U.S ==> The sentence seems to convey the meaning: Holland spends a larger percentage of its GDP on defense of its coasts than on its (Holland's) military (in the U.S). That's not the intended meaning.

Problem #2: Pronoun
Holland is singular ==> "their coasts" is incorrect.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross national [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 21:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In Holland, a larger percentage of the gross national   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2014, 21:04