Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618724 [6]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
In how many ways can 5 men and 5 women sit at a round table such that [#permalink]
akadiyan wrote:
The number of arrangements of n distinct objects in a circle is given by (n-1)!.

Now, 5 men can be arranged in (5-1)! = 4!
We can place 5 women in empty slots between Men so that no women will be together and also no men will be together.
The number of arrangements of 5 women is 5!

The answer is 4!5!

Ans C

I understand how you did the first step, i.e., 5 men can be arranged in 4! ways around a circular table.

But in the next step, we have 5 empty slots between the 5 men.
These empty slots are also in a circular arrangement.
So, if 5 women are to be arranged in these 5 slots, the number of arrangements should also be 4!, right?
Therefore, the answer should be 4! x 4!, i.e., answer choice A.

I'm wondering how you got 5! for the second step... please explain!
Thanks in advance.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618724 [3]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
In how many ways can 5 men and 5 women sit at a round table such that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jaykayes wrote:
akadiyan wrote:
The number of arrangements of n distinct objects in a circle is given by (n-1)!.

We can place 5 women in empty slots between Men so that no women will be together and also no men will be together.

The answer is 4!5!

Ans C

I understand how you did the first step, i.e., 5 men can be arranged in 4! ways around a circular table.

So, if 5 women are to be arranged in these 5 slots, the number of arrangements should also be 4!, right?

Thanks in advance.

• The arrangement of n distinct objects in a row is denoted by n!.
  • The arrangement of n distinct objects in a circle is represented by (n-1)!.

The distinction between arranging in a row and in a circle is as follows: if we shift all objects by one position, we achieve a different arrangement in a row, but maintain the same relative arrangement in a circle. Therefore, for the number of circular arrangements of n objects, we have:

• \(\frac{n!}{n} = (n-1)!\).

To demonstrate this, let's consider a simpler case: {1, 2, 3} arrangement in a row is distinct from {3, 1, 2} and from {2, 3, 1} arrangement.

However, the below three arrangements in a circle are identical:

Next, if we place three letters a, b, and c between these numbers, shifting them by one position would no longer yield the same arrangement. This is because it now matters whether a is positioned between 1 and 3 or between 1 and 2:

Therefore, the number of arrangements of a, b, and c between 1, 2, and 3 is now 3!, rather than 2!, due to the relative positioning of these letters in regards to the numbers.

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
Arrangements in a cricle.png
Arrangements in a cricle.png [ 3.68 KiB | Viewed 2720 times ]

Attachment:
Arrangements in a cricle2.png
Arrangements in a cricle2.png [ 9.21 KiB | Viewed 2710 times ]
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 5 men and 5 women sit at a round table such that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
After the women are placed using the circle principle (n-1)!, then there is a point of reference for placing the men, so they can be arranged in n! ways. You can start with either the women or the men, but one placement is (n-1)! and the next is n!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 5 men and 5 women sit at a round table such that [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
jaykayes wrote:
akadiyan wrote:

The answer is 4!5!

Ans C

Thanks in advance.

The arrangement of n distinct objects in a row is denoted by n!.
The arrangement of n distinct objects in a circle is represented by (n-1)!.

The distinction between arranging in a row and in a circle is as follows: if we shift all objects by one position, we achieve a different arrangement in a row, but maintain the same relative arrangement in a circle. Therefore, for the number of circular arrangements of n objects, we have:

\(\frac{n!}{n} = (n-1)!\).

To demonstrate this, let's consider a simpler case: {1, 2, 3} arrangement in a row is distinct from {3, 1, 2} and from {2, 3, 1} arrangement.

However, the below three arrangements in a circle are identical:

Next, if we place three letters a, b, and c between these numbers, shifting them by one position would no longer yield the same arrangement. This is because it now matters whether a is positioned between 1 and 3 or between 1 and 2:

Therefore, the number of arrangements of a, b, and c between 1, 2, and 3 is now 3!, rather than 2!, due to the relative positioning of these letters in regards to the numbers.

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
Arrangements in a cricle.png

Attachment:
Arrangements in a cricle2.png

Thank you, Bunuel, it's very clear now!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
DanTheGMATMan wrote:
After the women are placed using the circle principle (n-1)!, then there is a point of reference for placing the men, so they can be arranged in n! ways. You can start with either the women or the men, but one placement is (n-1)! and the next is n!

Thank you, DanTheGMATMan, that exactly answers my question!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts