Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In how many ways can 5 rings be worn on the four fingers of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 90
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

In how many ways can 5 rings be worn on the four fingers of [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 07:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In how many ways can 5 rings be worn on the four fingers of the right hand?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 377
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 10:30
BG wrote:
guess in 4^5 ways.


I agree with your reasoning, but then woudn't you have to permute the rings on a finger if you put more than one ring on it ( after all , you can put two rings on a finger in two different ways !).

HMTG.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 90
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 10:35
BG wrote:
guess in 4^5 ways.


Your answer is correct. I got 5x4x3x2. The way I figure is, the 1st finger can have any of the 5 rings. So 5 ways for 1st finger. The 2nd finger can have any of the 4 remaining rings. So 4 ways for 2nd finger and .....



Why is my answer incorrect?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 551
Location: Canuckland
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 11:27
smcgrath12 wrote:
BG wrote:
guess in 4^5 ways.


Your answer is correct. I got 5x4x3x2. The way I figure is, the 1st finger can have any of the 5 rings. So 5 ways for 1st finger. The 2nd finger can have any of the 4 remaining rings. So 4 ways for 2nd finger and .....



Why is my answer incorrect?


You forget that any of 4 fingers can have all the rings.

The way it works here, take one ring, on how many fingers it can be worn? - 4
take another ring - 4, and so on
so you get 4*4*4*4*4 = 4^5
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 273
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 14:55
The number of ways that four rings can be picked from a set of 5 is 5C4
The number of ways these rings can be worn is 4!

Thus my answer = 5C4 * 4!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 551
Location: Canuckland
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 16:50
cloudz9 wrote:
The number of ways that four rings can be picked from a set of 5 is 5C4
The number of ways these rings can be worn is 4!

Thus my answer = 5C4 * 4!


but you assume one ring per finger. what if one wears two rings on one finger?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 273
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 17:11
sparky wrote:
cloudz9 wrote:
The number of ways that four rings can be picked from a set of 5 is 5C4
The number of ways these rings can be worn is 4!

Thus my answer = 5C4 * 4!


but you assume one ring per finger. what if one wears two rings on one finger?


True!
didn't think of that!
thnx :)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2005, 20:07
HowManyToGo wrote:
BG wrote:
guess in 4^5 ways.


I agree with your reasoning, but then woudn't you have to permute the rings on a finger if you put more than one ring on it ( after all , you can put two rings on a finger in two different ways !).

HMTG.


Here you assume all rings are the same, so orders don't matter.
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 377
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2005, 05:44
HongHu wrote:
HowManyToGo wrote:
BG wrote:
guess in 4^5 ways.


I agree with your reasoning, but then woudn't you have to permute the rings on a finger if you put more than one ring on it ( after all , you can put two rings on a finger in two different ways !).

HMTG.


Here you assume all rings are the same, so orders don't matter.


In which case( all rings the same) , choosing the 2nd ring and the 4th ring on the 1 st finger is the same as choosing the 3rd and 5th ring for the same.
while computing 4^5 this is taken as two distinct ways.

Hence if all the rings are same,I think the no. of ways is

8c3 = 56 ways.

HMTG.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 93
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2005, 12:11
"the four fingers" sounds like you are talking about 4 specific fingers. Are we considering all 5... or do we only have 4?
  [#permalink] 11 Jun 2005, 12:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic In how many ways can 5 different rings be worn in four docabuzar 9 02 Feb 2012, 15:16
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic 5 rings on 4 fingers. Bunuel 8 31 Oct 2009, 22:35
In how many ways can 6 rings be worn in 4 fingers of 1 hand remgeo 2 25 Nov 2005, 04:15
How many ways 6 rings can be worn in 4 fingers gmat2me2 6 19 Mar 2005, 17:30
How many way 5 rings can go on 4 fingers? (A) 3x4 (B) 5C4 qhoc0010 7 27 Dec 2004, 13:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In how many ways can 5 rings be worn on the four fingers of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.