Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [135]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [72]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [68]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [10]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In how many different ways can a group of 8 people be divide [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Another way to think about this:

How many ways can you arrange the following:
T1 T1 T2 T2 T3 T3 T4 T4

That would be: 8!/(2!*2!*2!*2!)

Then also recall that we don't care about the differences between the teams, therefore

8!/(2!*2!*2!*2!*4!) = 105
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
bibha wrote:
In how many different ways can a group of 8 people be divided into 4 teams of 2 people each?

\(\frac{C^2_8*C^2_6*C^2_4*C^2_2}{4!}=105\), we are dividing by 4! (factorial of the # of teams) as the order of the teams does not matter. If 8 people are - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, then (1,2)(3,4)(5,6)(7,8) would be the same 4 teams as (5,6)(7,8)(1,2)(3,4), as we don't have team #1, team #2...

You can think about this in another way.
For the first person we can pick a pair in 7 ways;
For the second one in 5 ways (as two are already chosen);
For the third one in 3 ways (as 4 people are already chosen);
For the fourth one there is only one left.

So we have 7*5*3*1=105

Answer: B.
There is also direct formula for this:

1. The number of ways in which \(mn\) different items can be divided equally into \(m\) groups, each containing \(n\) objects and the order of the groups is not important is \(\frac{(mn)!}{(n!)^m*m!}\).

2. The number of ways in which \(mn\) different items can be divided equally into \(m\) groups, each containing \(n\) objects and the order of the groups is important is \(\frac{(mn)!}{(n!)^m}\)

Hope it helps.

I understand how to get the answer, but I'm wondering why we assume that the order of the teams doesn't matter. The question just asks how many ways you can group them. When should we assume something matters or doesn't matter when the question doesn't specify? And also, just to clarify, when we do 8!/2!2!2!2!4!, we are also not worrying about the order within each team either right i.e. (a,b)=(b,a)?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [3]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dandarth1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
bibha wrote:
In how many different ways can a group of 8 people be divided into 4 teams of 2 people each?

\(\frac{C^2_8*C^2_6*C^2_4*C^2_2}{4!}=105\), we are dividing by 4! (factorial of the # of teams) as the order of the teams does not matter. If 8 people are - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, then (1,2)(3,4)(5,6)(7,8) would be the same 4 teams as (5,6)(7,8)(1,2)(3,4), as we don't have team #1, team #2...

You can think about this in another way.
For the first person we can pick a pair in 7 ways;
For the second one in 5 ways (as two are already chosen);
For the third one in 3 ways (as 4 people are already chosen);
For the fourth one there is only one left.

So we have 7*5*3*1=105

Answer: B.
There is also direct formula for this:

1. The number of ways in which \(mn\) different items can be divided equally into \(m\) groups, each containing \(n\) objects and the order of the groups is not important is \(\frac{(mn)!}{(n!)^m*m!}\).

2. The number of ways in which \(mn\) different items can be divided equally into \(m\) groups, each containing \(n\) objects and the order of the groups is important is \(\frac{(mn)!}{(n!)^m}\)

Hope it helps.

I understand how to get the answer, but I'm wondering why we assume that the order of the teams doesn't matter. The question just asks how many ways you can group them. When should we assume something matters or doesn't matter when the question doesn't specify? And also, just to clarify, when we do 8!/2!2!2!2!4!, we are also not worrying about the order within each team either right i.e. (a,b)=(b,a)?

The teams are not numbered/labeled (we don't have team #1, #2, ...), the teams are not assigned to something (for example to tournaments), ... So, the order of the teams doesn't matter.

Please check the links in my previous post for similar problems.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Hmm Bunuel something I did quickly, and forgot the context to do this in (this doesn't happen as frequently) was to select by team? How would I approach the problem then. IE instad of 8C2, I started with 4C1 and started to proceed from there, with the hopes of multiplying by 2! to account for the different arrangements we could have within each team (but not by 4! to account for the order of these different teams)

Why would 4C1 not be appropriate in this case? Is it because those 4 teams aren't set beforehand?

I am messing this up conceptually and want to correct this mistake
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
manimgoindowndown wrote:
Hmm Bunuel something I did quickly, and forgot the context to do this in (this doesn't happen as frequently) was to select by team? How would I approach the problem then. IE instad of 8C2, I started with 4C1 and started to proceed from there, with the hopes of multiplying by 2! to account for the different arrangements we could have within each team (but not by 4! to account for the order of these different teams)

Why would 4C1 not be appropriate in this case? Is it because those 4 teams aren't set beforehand?

It discusses two different questions:
1. Distributing 12 different chocolates equally among 4 boys (similar to splitting 8 people in 4 distinct teams with 2 people each - your question)
2. Distributing 12 different chocolates equally in 4 stacks (similar to splitting 8 people in 4 teams of 2 people each - the original question)

See if grouping makes sense thereafter.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 04 Mar 2013, 00:02.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 11 Oct 2022, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
manimgoindowndown wrote:

Check out this post: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/11 ... ke-groups/

It discusses two different questions:
1. Distributing 12 different chocolates equally among 4 boys (similar to splitting 8 people in 4 distinct teams with 2 people each - your question)
2. Distributing 12 different chocolates equally in 4 stacks (similar to splitting 8 people in 4 teams of 2 people each - the original question)

See if grouping makes sense thereafter.

That example and wording was extremely confusing and frustrating. I am still trying to see what language prompted the difference in permutation vs combination.

Maybe my brain has been fried this week (lots of pracatice, one full length CAT), but the big thing in this problem is you DO NOT account for order TWICE
the 4! is for the team
and the 2! is within every single combination for each pair
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
manimgoindowndown wrote:
That example and wording was extremely confusing and frustrating. I am still trying to see what language prompted the difference in permutation vs combination.

Maybe my brain has been fried this week (lots of pracatice, one full length CAT), but the big thing in this problem is you DO NOT account for order TWICE
the 4! is for the team
and the 2! is within every single combination for each pair

Yes, because in this question, the groups are not distinct. You have to split 8 people in 4 groups.
You can split them like this: (A, B), (C, D), (E, F), (G, H)
or like this: (G, H), (A, B), (C, D), (E, F)
they are the same split. They are not assigned to group1, group2, group3, group4.
Say the total number of ways we get = N

Now, if we change the question and say that we have 8 people and we need to divide them into 4 teams: Team 1, Team 2, Team 3 and Team 4

Then, one split is this: Team 1 = (A, B); Team 2 = (C, D), Team 3 = (E, F), Team 4 = (G, H)
and another split is: Team 1 = (G, H), Team 2 = (A, B); Team 3 = (C, D), Team 4 = (E, F)

These two cases were the same in our original question but if the teams/groups are distinct, the two cases are distinct. Now, the total number of ways = N*4!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13386 [4]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM