Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1054 [14]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [6]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can you arrange the letters "APTITUDE" so as to form [#permalink]
Crystal! Thanks Bunuel! +1

Originally posted by prome2 on 02 Dec 2009, 05:31.
Last edited by prome2 on 02 Dec 2009, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can you arrange the letters "APTITUDE" so as to form [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
In how many ways can you arrange the letters "APTITUDE" so as to form words that begin and end with a vowel?

A. 640
B. 1280
C. 4320
D. 8640
E. 9860

Hi...

The first letter of the word can be ANY of the 4 vowels and the last letter could be any of the remaining 3..
So first and last letter can be selected in 4*3 ways.
So ans has to be a MULTIPLE of 3... Only C and D are left ( just for info)

Now remaining 6 can be selected in 6!/2!=360... Div by 2 is because of 2 I..

Ans 360*12=4320

C
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [2]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
In how many ways can you arrange the letters "APTITUDE" so as to form words that begin and end with a vowel?

A. 640
B. 1280
C. 4320
D. 8640
E. 9860

There are 4 vowels AIEU
SO 1st letter can be taken in 4 ways
Last letter can be taken in 3 ways
Middle letters can be arranged in 6! ways from 6 letters left.

So total ways = 4*3*6!

But there are 2 T's so we need to divide total arrangement by 2! to compensate the duplicate of words.

Total required no. words formed = 4*3*6!/2! = 4320

Answer C
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 640
B. 1280
C. 4320
D. 8640
E. 9860

If the first letter has to be a vowel, then it can be any one of the 4 vowels (A, E, I, U). If the last letter also has to be a vowel, then it can be any one of the remaining 3 vowels. After we have selected the two vowels for the first and last positions, we have 6 letters left, of which 2 repeat. Thus, the number of ways to arrange these in-between letters is 6!/2! = 720/2 = 360. Finally, the number ways the words can be formed is 4 x 360 x 3 = 4,320.

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 817
Send PM
The way I did was a bit longer than some answers, but helped me understand better the problem.

First I thought there are 8 letters in total and marked on the paper 8 spaces for the counting. The first letters will be able to use 4 potential letters, and the last one, 3 remaining ones, since there are 4 vowels.

Then, for the second space, I got 8 -2 (total - 2 vowels used) = 6, for the 3rd space I got 5 and so on. After multiplying it all, I got (120 x 72), but, since T is counted twice, I divided by 2 to remove double counting, which resulted in 60 x 72 = 4,320
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Permutation with restrictions.

V _ _ _ _ _ _ V

4 <--- # of ways a vowel can be chosen for the first letter
3 <--- # of ways... last letter

4 x 3 = 12 possibilities

6 letters left...

6! / 2! = 360 <--- # of ways the remaining letters (including two vowels can be arranged)

360 x 12 = 4320 <--- # of possible words with vowels in first/last position

Answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 572
Send PM
Question -- why doesnt this method work:

8!/2! total ways to arrange the letters
A. ½ of the total will have a VOWEL as the first letter (since ½ of the total letters are vowels).
B. Similarly, ½ of the total will have a VOWEL as the last letter (since ½ of the total letters are vowels).

therefore we can take the total number and divide by 4-> ¼ of all will have a vowel at the beginning and end:

(8!)/(2!4)

Why is this flawed?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
This question is tricky because, for example ATIUDETP is not a valid word and nor are many of the 4320 possible arrangements
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts