Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Hungary,as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

In Hungary,as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 08:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (01:54) correct 26% (01:05) wrong based on 221 sessions
In Hungary,as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are in middle management and light industry.

1. as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are
2. as with mych of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works, many
3. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of them
4. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,and many are
5. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,many are

Which one is the correct answer ?
Provides answers with explanation only.
Example : "A" is wrong beacuse "which" is incorrect usage for people

Last edited by GMATMadeeasy on 25 Jan 2010, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Schools: IU KSB
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 66

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 08:58
1. Sub-Verb Agreement

Here the subject is 'Proportion of women' which is plural so verb should be 'work'

so it's between A and C. As you said 'which' can not be used to refer to poeple.

So A is out and C is the winner.

Last edited by swatirpr on 25 Jan 2010, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 11:40
swatirpr wrote:
1. Sub-Verb Agreement

Here the subject is 'Proportion of women' which is plural so verb should be 'work'

so it's between A and C. As you said 'which' can not be used to refer to poeple.

So A is out and B is the winner.

Good try. You meant C is the answer I beleive.

Lets continue exploring the options.
Errors to look for:
1. Subject verb agreement : 'Proportion of women' PLURAL correct
2. How about AS and LIKE : WHich one is correct here?
3. Many or Many of them : which one is correct ?

We must handle all three elements to get most out of it. Try to answer all three points.
Lets just not answer based on options but
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 11:52
IMO - C

Split - work vs works.

I belive - work is appropriate in this sentence, hence B, D & E are WRONG

A vs C

In A - which is referring to work, hence wrong.

C seems to be correct choice !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 12:11
Would go with C as the other options are not correct at all....

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Manager
Manager

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 13:41
@ jeeteshsingh and ms : Sorry , but these responses do not bring any result, no explanations. swatipr had already mentioned C. :)

@ swatipr : You are on your way, good explanation for like and as .But "Propotion of women in hungary" is not a clause but a noun phrase. look more for explanation :) .

P.S. I have also corrected the option C . (changed "Many" to "many of them")
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 13:56
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
@ jeeteshsingh and ms : Sorry , but these responses do not bring any result, no explanations. swatipr had already mentioned C. :)

@ swatipr : You are on your way, good explanation for like and as .But "Propotion of women in hungary" is not a clause but a noun phrase. look more for explanation :) .

Sorry Sir / Madam.... here I go... :-D

In Hungary,as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are in middle management and light industry.

1. as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are
many of which is not correct when being referred to Women present in the proportion

2. as with mych of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works, many
as with much is wrong usage...... should be as in much!

3. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of them
Correct - as in much... correctly used... many of them correctly refer to the women in the proportion which is being talked about...

4. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,and many are
many are is not correct as it now directly refers to the proportion and not the women accounted in the proportion. Also works is wrong... it should be work as an overwhelming propotion of women is plural

5. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,many are
many are is not correct as it now directly refers to the proportion and not the women accounted in the proportion. Also works is wrong... it should be work as an overwhelming propotion of women is plural

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Manager
Manager

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 15:09
jeeteshsingh wrote:
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

Sorry Sir / Madam.... here I go... :-D

many of which is not correct when being referred to Women present in the proportion

as with much is wrong usage...... should be as in much! and singluar verb works is incorrect

Correct - as in much... correctly used... many of them correctly refer to the women in the proportion which is being talked about...

"Grammatically, prepositional phrase can not take "like" as it is preposition so we use AS here." (remember this)

Both parts of the sentence are clauses , they can not not connected by a comma.

We are adavancing :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 06:59
Would also go with C as other opton have some or other erors mentioned
below:
1. Subject verb agreement : 'Proportion of women' PLURAL correct- verb 'work' is correct
2. How about AS and LIKE : WHich one is correct here? Should go with 'AS' because we are comparing clauses
3. Many or Many of them : which one is correct ? many of them refer to the proprotion of women
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 16:32
c is acceptable.
but shouldn't there be a semi colon before many instead of a comma ?

pls kudos if you're satisfied with the reply

8 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 82

Kudos [?]: 359 [8] , given: 0

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 04:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

First of all, it is unlikely that this is a real GMAT question. A real question would not have used "portion of women;" the correct answer would use "number of women". "Portion" or "amount" can be used for non-count or singular nouns ("portion of the population," "amount of money," BUT "number of people").

So let's leave the subject-verb agreement issue aside and focus on the other aspects of the sentence that you've correctly identified:

A. as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are

To refere to people, use "who" or "whom", never "which" or "that".

B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works, many

Notice that the prepositional phrase, "with much of Eastern Europe," does not accurately describe anything here. There is nothing in the sentence that can be described as being "with Europe."

TIP: The GMAT SC from time to time likes to user "with..." to create an inaccurate modifier.

INCORRECT: The student with the highest grade was rewarded.
CORRECT: The student who received the highest grade was rewarded.

C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of them

First, the comparison of the two prepositional phrases ("in Hungary" and "in ... Europe") is logical and properly uses the word "as".

Second, "many of them in in middle management and light industry," is a structure called an absolute phrase.

The absoluate phrase is just a noun+description (NO VERB!) This is not a clause and not a modifier, but rather just a form of additional info.

Ex. Sue drove down the street, the wind (noun) in her hair (description).

So "many of them (women) in the ..." is just a way of adding info to the already complete clause, "an overwhelming propostion/number of women work/s".

D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,and many are

NOTE: "Like" can be used to compare only two nouns, not two descriptions or clauses.

So "like... Europe" would have worked if the sentence had begun with "Hungary," not "In Hungary."

E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,many are

Same problem as D.

Also, "many are in..." is a full independent clause (subject + verb that could be a sentence on its own). Two independent clauses cannot be attached with just a comma!

INCORRECT: I am hungry, I will eat.
CORRECT: I am hungry [; / ,and / ,so...] I will eat.

Check out Lesson 6 for more on comparisons and Lessons 9 and 10 for count and non-count nouns at gmaxonline!

Best,
Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 06:52
"many of them" is so loud that couldn't hear any other choice !

Its C :-)

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 06:56
Thank you Sarai for the explanations !

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 14:43
Thanks for great explanation. It is GMATprep question.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Somewhere

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 13:25
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Hi Guys,

First of all, it is unlikely that this is a real GMAT question. A real question would not have used "portion of women;" the correct answer would use "number of women". "Portion" or "amount" can be used for non-count or singular nouns ("portion of the population," "amount of money," BUT "number of people").

So let's leave the subject-verb agreement issue aside and focus on the other aspects of the sentence that you've correctly identified:

A. as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of which are

To refere to people, use "who" or "whom", never "which" or "that".

B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works, many

Notice that the prepositional phrase, "with much of Eastern Europe," does not accurately describe anything here. There is nothing in the sentence that can be described as being "with Europe."

TIP: The GMAT SC from time to time likes to user "with..." to create an inaccurate modifier.

C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women work,many of them

First, the comparison of the two prepositional phrases ("in Hungary" and "in ... Europe") is logical and properly uses the word "as".

Second, "many of them in in middle management and light industry," is a structure called an absolute phrase.

The absoluate phrase is just a noun+description (NO VERB!) This is not a clause and not a modifier, but rather just a form of additional info.

Ex. Sue drove down the street, the wind (noun) in her hair (description).

So "many of them (women) in the ..." is just a way of adding info to the already complete clause, "an overwhelming propostion/number of women work/s".

D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,and many are

NOTE: "Like" can be used to compare only two nouns, not two descriptions or clauses.

So "like... Europe" would have worked if the sentence had begun with "Hungary," not "In Hungary."

E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming propotion of women works,many are

Same problem as D.

Also, "many are in..." is a full independent clause (subject + verb that could be a sentence on its own). Two independent clauses cannot be attached with just a comma!

INCORRECT: I am hungry, I will eat.
CORRECT: I am hungry [; / ,and / ,so...] I will eat.

Check out Lesson 6 for more on comparisons and Lessons 9 and 10 for count and non-count nouns at gmaxonline!

Best,
Sarai

Great explanation!!! Thanks a lot
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 22:38
I went with C ..........but in some other thread i have seen the question and they say OA .is A .......but can't believe ut ....
Manager
Manager

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 22:49
Could you please explain this :

WHy Incorrect one is incorrect ? How to make a rule out of this so that it could be used wherever we see tricky "with" .
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 09:18
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Best,
Sarai

hi Sarai,
Is C makes run-on error? is it better to use "many of whom" (a relative pronoun) instead of "many of them"?
Can "work" function as noun so "many of which" modifies for "work"?

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In Hungary,as in much of eastern Europe,an overwhelming [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 02:57
IMO this is C. And this is GMAT question. I believe this question is from Gmat10 version.
First of all in is required, only A and C contains "IN". You cannot use which pronoun for humans thus C wins. If it were for me, I would not bother to write a sentence like this.

Did I use like correctly? :lol:

Need your opinion.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 03:40
vudsri000 wrote:
I went with C ..........but in some other thread i have seen the question and they say OA .is A .......but can't believe ut ....

Please visit the below link.. OA is C
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/in- ... t5864.html

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Re: Impressive SC with many concepts with in.. (Source GMAtPrep)   [#permalink] 30 May 2012, 03:40