Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: SC - Hally's comet [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 19:42
ssruthi wrote:
mithilesh wrote:
In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, that Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.

(A) that Halley’s comet will pass
(B) that Halley’s comet is to be passing
(C) as Halley’s comet
(D) as will Halley’s comet
(E) as Halley’s comet will do

There is a 3-2 split for "That" and "As", That will refer to position, while sentence is referring to distance and position. Hence, Option A and B are wrong...

Option C is awkward, hence incorrect

To choose between D and E, I am bit confused. I felt the correct answer to be E, still not able to figure out why E is incorrect.

Hi,
can you explain the concept of you have used here"There is a 3-2 split for "That" and "As", That will refer to position, while sentence is referring to distance and position. Hence, Option A and B are wrong..."
Y u said A and B were worng?

That will only refer to position i.e. some 25 degrees above the horizon whereas the sentence needs to refer to distance and position. We need to use as instead of that. For the same reason A & B is wrong..
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Hally's comet [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 01:28
Thanks guys, the OA is D! :), I got that in <1min.

Working towards a goal...
V.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Hally's comet [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 01:32
Methinks D is better than E because it maintains a sort of ||ism - 'the comet Crommelin passed the Earth' and 'will (pass) Halley’s comet'. Not sure, but E looks a bit wordy too!

Working towards a goal...
V.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - Hally's comet [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 04:16
I think there is NO correct answer. We know that A B C and E are wrong ad per the discussions above.

Why D is wrong?

There are 2 clauses here: An activity that happened in the past is compared to another that will happen in future, so while using ellipses we MUST repeat the main verb when there is a tense change, and, hence, helping verb "will" cannot complete the 2nd clause (Ref: MGMAT SC).

Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect - I will be happy to learn. But that's my take - there is NO correct ans choice here. D would be correct if D had "will pass".

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 10

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 19:05
A is a good catch in this question. But ,that modifies horizon, therefore its wrong.

E doesn't compare the two things correctly. X passed through a position, as Y will do. It's wrong because the second clause is not parallel the first clause.

X passed through the same position, as will Y. is a better structure.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 24

Re: SC - Hally's comet [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 04:14
Quote:
Thanks for explanation. I picked E as well but now I've realized that you cannot use auxiliary werb reffering to present tense werb, when the werb actually used is in past tense. Such a silly mistake.

Phew..this is the most complicated sentence that i have read in the past 2 weeks !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME AND TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 24

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 04:21
Source of the text in PINK: MGMAT discussion board.

The problem with answer choice E is that, by including the helping verb will, the primary verb pass is already inplied. Thus, answer choice E actually "reads" the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position as Halley's comet will do pass the next time it appears. Thus, the verb do is both unnecessary and is not parallel to the verb pass

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, Here is MY take on OPTION (A) :

Let's try to understand what the word "that" refer to ?

In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon,that Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.

Let's remove the modifier that is enclosed within the commas. Remember that when you throw out the modifier, the commas go out the window too.
Voila, the word "that" DOESN'T refer to horizon, instead "that" refers to position.

In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position that Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.

The problem that i have this version of the sentence is that , the word "that" now refers exclusively to position and loses reference to the fact that the "distances" are also being compared. The intent of the original sentence is to compare the similarity in aspects of DISTANCE and POSITON, while the newer version of the sentence only conveys the similarity in the position.

The following excerpt colored in green has been taken from e-gmat blogs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grammatically COMMA + THAT is not correct usage. By definition ‘that clause’ presents required information or essential information and hence cannot be separated from the entity that it modifies by using a comma.
However this does not mean that you can never see a comma prior to that. When you do see comma before that, you will see a comma pair. In such cases non-essential information or additional information will be sandwiched between this comma pair. The sentence structure will look something like this:
Noun,noun-modifier,that clause
In the above structure, comma does not separate ‘that clause’ from its ‘noun’. The complete comma pair is used to separate out the ‘noun modifier’. Lets review this with some examples:
Oprah Winfrey hosts a talk show that has won multiple awards. – Correct
Oprah Winfrey hosts a talk show, that has won multiple awards. – Incorrect
Oprah Winfrey hosts a talk show,considered the highest-rated program of its kind in history, that has won multiple awards. Correct

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME AND TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

Last edited by hafizkarim on 11 Sep 2012, 07:41, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 07:46
My Answer choice is (A)

mymba99 wrote:
In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, that Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.

(C) as Halley’s comet

plz expln rule/concept if possible. :-D Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 46

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 07:55
Why is E incorrect? I'm still confused.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 75

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 08:09
The answers posted here by the members are very distinct, and most of the guys have failed to get the correct AC.
I was no exception, after thinking between C & D for 58 secs i chose the wrong AC.
IMO in C - ....as Halley’s comet the next time it appears.

"it" referred to the "comet" and "appears " will take the sentence in future but it is ellipsis error.

D is right.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 22:32
I got it wrong as A. I went through the MGMAT experts' comment but still couldn't understand completely. So, this is my attempt to independently decipher this question.

(C) as Halley’s comet

Some points to think about:
1) About the same X as Y -- this convention needs to be followed for comparison's sake.
2) The author intends to say that both comets passed through the same location and in about the same position.
3) WILL or WILL PASS are both correct usages in this case. WILL PASS is implied in the case where WILL is used as a standalone.

Note: My feeling here is that you cannot simply use a THAT vs. AS split because THAT by itself is not a problem here. The actual problem here is the main verb PASSED and the comparison verb which is WILL or WILL PASS.

To make a comparison smooth and seamless, the OG advices to have X and Y (two things to be compared) to be as close to the comparator word in this case which is AS.

So, look for the answer choice where the verb comes immediately after the comparator AS. The only option is D. All the other options seem to compare the where the Crommelin PASSED to the HALLEY'S COMET ITSELF. So, you are comparing a location or a point in space to a comet. You can only compare a point in space to either the point itself or another point in space.

Hope that helps!!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 05:17
I think D. The idiom is
Same X as Y. D conforms to it. E mistakenly adds another verb phrase Will do and makes Haily's comet subject of second clause

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 06:38
I went with 'D', which is the OA.

A. Wrong: 'that' is no good, 'same position... that' is wrong construction
B. Wrong: as above
C. Wrong: 'same position... as' is now correct, but not parallel. Need future verb, such as 'will' as 'next pass' is in future
D. Right: 'same position... as' is correct, and now we have parallel phrasing: 'Hailey's Comet will pass the Earth' is correct
E. Wrong: 'same position... as is' correct, but 'will do' is wrong, 'Hailey's Comet will do pass the Earth' is incorrect

Usually with these it's best to break up the sentence and cut out all the 'meat' in the middle that the GMAT puts in to the confuse you. This then reveals the awkward and usually incorrect phrasing i.e 'Hailey's Comet will do pass the Earth in the same position as Comet whatever'... is obviously incorrect.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 46

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 14:55
There is a splitted idiom - "the same .... as". Therefore, it is C, D, or E.

Then we need to make sure the comparisons are parallel:

"comet Crommelin passed ..... as will Halley’s comet". C is out.

But same confusion between D and E...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 27

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 07:50
it the tense is different in the second part of the ellipsis, we keep the full tense in the second part. E is correct.

there are two other things I want to share.

- the same+noun+ as+clause. this is formal pattern in grammar book. at fisrt we see that after "as" there should be a noun. but this pattern is formal.

- noun mofifer can be far from the noun modified, though modifier far from the noun modifier can be considered incorrect if we have a better choich, which has noun modifier touching that noun. this situation happen very frequently on gmat.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 04:03
Its explained well in the MGMAT forum :
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc1000-t950.html

The explanation given is as follows :
Quote:
identify the same as idiom and eliminate A and B. Next, answer choice C changes the original intent of the sentence, since Crommelin did not pass the Earth where Haley's comet is currently located; instead, Crommelin passed the Earth in about the same position as Haley's comet will pass the Earth. The problem with answer choice E is that, by including the helping verb will, the primary verb pass is already implied. Thus, answer choice E actually "reads" the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position as Haley's comet will do pass the next time it appears. Thus, the verb do is both unnecessary and is not parallel to the verb pass.
Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2014, 04:03