Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 02:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

CAT Tests
In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (03:05) correct 54% (01:31) wrong based on 267 sessions
In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new lowfat oil to cook its Fast Fries, instead of the less healthful corn oil that it had been using. Now Fastfood King is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt sales of Fast Fries. However, this claim is incorrect, since according to Fastfood King’s own sales figures, Fastfood King sold 10 percent more Fast Fries last year than in the previous year.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument against Fastfood King's claim?

A) Total sales of all foods at Fastfood King’s locations increased by less than 10 percent last year.
B) Fastfood King enjoys higher profit margins on its Soft Drinks than it does on Fast Fries.
C) Fastfood King’s customers prefer the taste of Fast Fries cooked in corn oil to Fast Fries cooked in lowfat oil.
D) The number of customers that visited Fastfood King locations was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before.
E) The year before last, Fastfood King experienced a 20 percent increase in Fast Fries sales over the previous year.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 619 [1] , given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 12:06
This post received
KUDOS
Fastfood King claims that their sales had been hurt by the change. The argument says that the claim was not true as the sales had increased by 10%. If the sales of other items had increased by 20% ( or anything more than 10%) then fastfood king could have a valid argument that sales had been hurt because sales of this product had not increased as much as it had for other products.

A clearly provides a solution and hence answer is A.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 19:33
MacFauz wrote:
Fastfood King claims that their sales had been hurt by the change. The argument says that the claim was not true as the sales had increased by 10%. If the sales of other items had increased by 20% ( or anything more than 10%) then fastfood king could have a valid argument that sales had been hurt because sales of this product had not increased as much as it had for other products.

Hi Fauz

Shouldn't it be E? The oil used to cook fries has been changed. E clearly points out that the growth in sales after the change in oil has dropped from 20% to 10%. Further the claims made by Fast Food King and by examiner relate to the sale of fries only and not to the total sales of the restaurant.

What do you think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 21:04
harkabir wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

Hi Fauz

Shouldn't it be E? The oil used to cook fries has been changed. E clearly points out that the growth in sales after the change in oil has dropped from 20% to 10%. Further the claims made by Fast Food King and by examiner relate to the sale of fries only and not to the total sales of the restaurant.

What do you think?

E is not within the scope of argument. Its talking about "year before last year" not about last year.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern

Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 21:08
SOURH7WK wrote:
harkabir wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

Hi Fauz

What do you think?

E is not within the scope of argument. Its talking about "year before last year" not about last year.

My reading is this:

2010-2011 (year before last) - sales grew by 20% over 2009-2010
2011 Jan (last year Jan) - oil changed
2011-2012 - sales grew by 10% over 2010-2011

Do you think this is incorrect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 21:55
harkabir wrote:

Hi Fauz

What do you think?

My reading is this:

Yes ur thinking is correct. Now the argument is : 2011 Jan (last year Jan) - oil changed----->2011-2012 - sales grew by 10% over 2010-2011

So does this line "2010-2011 (year before last) - sales grew by 20% over 2009-2010" gives us any insight why/how sales increased in 2011-2012. What information u can derive from this which can make u believe that "Yes Fast Fries sales increased by 10% in 2011-2012.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 619 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 23:01
Correct. However, to be blunt, we do not care about the statistics between the year before the last and the last year. We are only concerned about this year and the last year.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern

Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 03:42
SOURH7WK wrote:
harkabir wrote:

Hi Fauz

What do you think?

My reading is this:

Yes ur thinking is correct. Now the argument is : 2011 Jan (last year Jan) - oil changed----->2011-2012 - sales grew by 10% over 2010-2011

So does this line "2010-2011 (year before last) - sales grew by 20% over 2009-2010" gives us any insight why/how sales increased in 2011-2012. What information u can derive from this which can make u believe that "Yes Fast Fries sales increased by 10% in 2011-2012.

I apologize, I thought this was a strengthen rathen than weaken question. Yes in case of weaken the answer is clearly A. Thanks for your effort :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 10:29
nitzz wrote:
In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new lowfat oil to cook its Fast Fries, instead of the less healthful corn oil that it had been using. Now Fastfood King is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt sales of Fast Fries. However, this claim is incorrect, since according to Fastfood King’s own sales figures, Fastfood King sold 10 percent more Fast Fries last year than in the previous year.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument against Fastfood King's claim?

A) Total sales of all foods at Fastfood King’s locations increased by less than 10 percent last year.
B) Fastfood King enjoys higher profit margins on its Soft Drinks than it does on Fast Fries.
C) Fastfood King’s customers prefer the taste of Fast Fries cooked in corn oil to Fast Fries cooked in lowfat oil.
D) The number of customers that visited Fastfood King locations was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before.
E) The year before last, Fastfood King experienced a 20 percent increase in Fast Fries sales over the previous year.

Am I the only one who thinks this problem was worded poorly? The stem says what most strongly supports the argument against fastfood king's claim. FFK said that sales went down and the claims AGAINST it said that FFK sales actually rose. IMO, D says that not only did sales rise, but customers went up as well, so that claim is invalid. Am I missing something?

Please give kudos if you found my post useful, I give kudos back :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 17:42
Should it be D. FFK claimed new oil for sales reduction. The argument pointed out sales up. And customer like new taste
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 550 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 21:58
Expert's post
Can you guys please clear my doubt.
A states that total sales increased by LESS than 10% last year. It means that the sales can grow o.00001% or 9.99% as well. We can't be so sure about that.
E states that the rate if growth in sales was hurt. Doesn't this statement means that the sales were hurt.
Please let me know if I am missing something.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson '15

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 05:49
Hi Marcab, i did the same analysis and selected E and couldnt convince myself that A is the correct ans.

Finally realized that trick is in the Q, most of us ended up supporting the wrong conclusion.

We need to support this argument --- fastfood sales were not hurt on french fries by change in plan
A-supports this well saying all product sales increase were less than 10 % whereas french fries sale was more than 10%.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 10:43
I have chosen option "B"
but then after looking at MacFauz explaantion realized option is indeed "A"
okay if i now eliminate option "B" and my reasoning is:
"The number of customers that visited Fastfood King locations was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before."

the above bold version can be implied that people visited location but not necessarily ordered fries.
will it be correct line of reasoning?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 224

CAT Tests
Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 08:04
WarriorGmat wrote:
I have chosen option "B"
but then after looking at MacFauz explaantion realized option is indeed "A"
okay if i now eliminate option "B" and my reasoning is:
"The number of customers that visited Fastfood King locations was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before."

the above bold version can be implied that people visited location but not necessarily ordered fries.
will it be correct line of reasoning?

Yes, the argument takes the premise "Fastfood King sold 10 percent more Fast Fries last year than in the previous year". So we are talking about sales and not foot falls.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 04 May 2014, 15:37
The question stem itself mentions about fast foods sales reduction , does that means fast food officials can be considered lying about sales figure, don,t we have have we have to consider all in the stem to be true.hence i went for d, please can anyone elaborate on this :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 224

CAT Tests
Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 07:56
manishgmat1 wrote:
The question stem itself mentions about fast foods sales reduction , does that means fast food officials can be considered lying about sales figure, don,t we have have we have to consider all in the stem to be true.hence i went for d, please can anyone elaborate on this :(

The question is which option goes against the Fast food's claim. You can take the other premise as true but not the conclusion of the Fast Food chain.

We need to find option that suggest the claim is not correct.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 22

Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 23:36
I went for D because the question is to find the statement that " supports the argument against Fastfood King's claim".

Fastfood King claimed that their sales was hurting. Shouldn't A be a strengthener to their claim?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 93

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 23:26
This post received
KUDOS
A nice and clear A...All sales went down except that of FF...The new oil is definitely not to be blamed here

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Re: In January of last year, Fastfood King started using a new   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2014, 23:26