Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In January there was a large drop in the number of new

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 507 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In January there was a large drop [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 04:44
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 974

Re: In January there was a large drop [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 23:47
I have managed to leave A as an ans. because other answer options couldnot withstand the test of appropriateness to the premise.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In January there was a large drop [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 21:25
The answer is A.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: In January there was a large drop [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 09:39
+1 A

The average price increased because the percentage of expensive houses sold of the total sold has increased in january.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: In January there was a large drop [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 07:22
A and C come close.

C says that prices have been increasing steadily. Thats the fallacy used.

A says that high priced houses might have caused the sharp price rise,as lesser buyers automatically translates to increase in prices.

A it is.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
WE: Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: In January there was a large drop [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 08:28
A because of rise in avg price of household sold..

nice question..

lets start again

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 7

Re: In January there was a large drop [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 22:25
Option A seems to be the best answer

My explanation:

average price of new houses sold (Z) =
((average price of High-price house sold * Nbr of High-price houses sold) + (average price of Low-price house sold * Nbr of Low-price houses sold)) / (Nbr of High-price houses sold + Nbr of Low-price houses sold)

That is

Avg = (A*B ) + (C*D))/(B+D)
Where A (average price of High-price house sold) < C (average price of Low-price house sold)
and B (Nbr of High-price houses sold) is constant but D (Nbr of Low-price houses sold) has Decreased

So its quiet evident that "average price of new houses sold (Z)" would increase

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 11

Re: In January there was a large drop in the number of new [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 05:55
First of all this is Not a strengthen type Q. This is more like Resole the paradox.
So, two contradictory facts are given. We have to answer: why average price of sold house has gone up, while the demand is supposed to be low. Only A answers the question clearly.
pre-phrasing the answer helps.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: In January there was a large drop in the number of new [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 12:01
Expert's post
The key here is the term "average price of home."

In answer choice (A) it gives us a concrete reason for why the average price of homes would increase: the number of expensive homes sold was higher than usual. Since the rest of the housing market - cheap homes to average priced homes - is not doing as well, the average price of homes sold is going to increase. Even if the number of expensive homes sold remained the same, the average price would still increase if the number of medium-priced homes sales decreased.

In answer (C), we are no longer dealing with averages but with number of units sold. However, we are not worried here about the number of houses sold per se, but the average price of homes sold.

Hope that helps :)

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: In January there was a large drop in the number of new [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 13:04
IMO A
for me A and E were tempting!
Reason for A:
If the sale of expensive houses is not affected then the avg price of the new houses sold will be high as mostly the higher priced houses r getting sold!

Reason for E:
Although, E sounded good too, but even if the rates are expected to increase then also it does not mean that the prices of the new houses sold will increase. Also, nothing can be concluded about the average price of the new houses sold.

Hence, i Chose A

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In January there was a large drop in the number of new [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 12:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 310

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In January there was a large drop in the number of new [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 16:58
SudiptoGmat wrote:
In January there was a large drop in the number of new houses sold, because interest rates for mortgages were falling and many consumers were waiting to see how low the rates would go. This large sales drop was accompanied by a sharp rise in the average price of new houses sold.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the sharp rise in the average price of new houses?

(A) Sales of higher-priced houses were unaffected by the sales drop because their purchasers have fewer constraints limiting the total amount they pay.
(B) Labor agreements of builders with construction unions are not due to expire until the next January.
(C) The prices of new houses have been rising slowly over the past three years because there is an increasing shortage of housing.
(D) There was a greater amount of moderate-priced housing available for resale by owners during January than in the preceding three months.
(E) Interest rates for home mortgages are expected to rise sharply later in the year if predictions of increased business activity in general prove to be accurate

I guess A but even then is not very clear because in no part of the argument does it mention the share of higher priced houses on the overall market. Mind you, if these were only 1% of the total market then it would not cause average prices of new houses to increase sharply

You get the point

Cheers
J :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Re: In January there was a large drop in the number of new [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 18:57
jlgdr wrote:
SudiptoGmat wrote:
In January there was a large drop in the number of new houses sold, because interest rates for mortgages were falling and many consumers were waiting to see how low the rates would go. This large sales drop was accompanied by a sharp rise in the average price of new houses sold.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the sharp rise in the average price of new houses?

(A) Sales of higher-priced houses were unaffected by the sales drop because their purchasers have fewer constraints limiting the total amount they pay.
(B) Labor agreements of builders with construction unions are not due to expire until the next January.
(C) The prices of new houses have been rising slowly over the past three years because there is an increasing shortage of housing.
(D) There was a greater amount of moderate-priced housing available for resale by owners during January than in the preceding three months.
(E) Interest rates for home mortgages are expected to rise sharply later in the year if predictions of increased business activity in general prove to be accurate

I guess A but even then is not very clear because in no part of the argument does it mention the share of higher priced houses on the overall market. Mind you, if these were only 1% of the total market then it would not cause average prices of new houses to increase sharply

You get the point

Cheers
J :)

Hello jlgdr.

My opinion, the wording is a bit tricky. Let read the last sentence one more time.
"This large sales drop was accompanied by a sharp rise in the average price of new houses sold"

The argument just says that the average price of houses that were SOLD increased sharply. On the other hand, the argument provides facts of TOTAL new house market, but the last sentence ONLY focus on A SUB-DIVISION of the market - new houses SOLD. Be aware, the argument does not say the average price of ALL new houses increased sharply. Readers may be fallen in trap by thinking that the argument said that the average price of new houses in general had increased sharply.

Back to option A.
Option A: Sales of higher-priced houses were unaffected by the sales drop because their purchasers have fewer constraints limiting the total amount they pay.
A only focuses on houses that were sold. Because their price were not affected by the sale drop, their average price could increase. Clearly, the paradox is resolved.

Your example "if these were only 1% of the total market then ......" does not help to evaluate the argument. It does not matter 1% or 50%, because the argument does not talk about average price of total new houses market but a small segment - new houses sold.

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 47

Re: In January there was a large drop in the number of new [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 00:01
1. PEOPLE ARE NOT BUYING HOUSES AS THEY WANT TO SEE FURTHER FALL IN INTEREST RATES.....as in jan this year..

2. SINCE SALE OF HOUSES LESS, THEIR AVERAGE PRICE SHOULD FALL.....

3. HOWEVER, SHARP INCREASE IN AVERAGE PRICE OF HOUSES.....

WE NEED TO EXPLAIN......

AVERAGE PRICE WILL INCREASE IF SALE OF SOME HIGH PRICE HOUSES UNAFFECTED BY THE DECREASE IN INTEREST RATE PHENOMENA...SUCH HOUSES PRICE WILL CONTINUE TO ESCALATE AND ALSO will increase the overall average price of all houses.....

(A) Sales of higher-priced houses were unaffected by the sales drop because their purchasers have fewer constraints limiting the total amount they pay. correct
(B) Labor agreements of builders with construction unions are not due to expire until the next January. WHAT IS THIS TO DO WITH THE ARGUMENT! WRONG...
(C) The prices of new houses have been rising slowly over the past three years because there is an increasing shortage of housing. There may have been shortage of housing in last three years.... BUT FROM JAN THERE IS AN INCREASE ... AND WE ARE TALKING OF THAT.... HENCE WRONG...
(D) There was a greater amount of moderate-priced housing available for resale by owners during January than in the preceding three months. WE ALREADY KNOW THIS... IF PEOPLE WAIT... AVAILABILITY WILL INCREASE... HENCE WRONG....
(E) Interest rates for home mortgages are expected to rise sharply later in the year if predictions of increased business activity in general prove to be accurate. WE are not worried about what will happen to interest rates......IN FUTURE.... HENCE WRONG...

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE....
Re: In January there was a large drop in the number of new   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2013, 00:01