Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 331 [1] , given: 109

In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 18:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:56) correct 16% (00:58) wrong based on 198 sessions
In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world, so it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provider.

A. In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world, so it would be
B. The breakup of the world's largest telephone company, Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, was called for by a government advisory committee in Japan, so it would be
C. A government advisory committee in Japan called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the world's largest telephone company, into
D. The breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the world's largest telephone company, was called for by a government advisory committee in Japan, so it would be
E. Called for by a government advisory committee, the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company in Japan, the world's largest telephone company, was to be into

According to Manhattan GMAT, "so" in A,B and D is wrong because the second clause is dependent on the first.Therefore, "so" is an inappropiate conjunction. Could someone explain, please?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 19:05
My opinion:
The clause 'the largest telephone company in the world' should refer to 'telegraph company' and not the whole phrase 'Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company'. That's what the book implies :)
When is your test metallicafan?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
When two independent clauses with verbs of their own are presented, they have to be conjugated by a coordinate conjunction such as and, but, so etc (remember the fanboys?). Separating them with just j a comma renders them as run-ons. In this case, 'called for' and 'would be’ are the two verbs of their clauses with just a comma in between. Hence choices A, B and D are faulty. E is too awkward; C is crisp and right

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 23:36
Also, the pronoun "it" is not used in C, thereby eliminating any confusion.

Good Luck!!!

***Help and be helped!!!****

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 242 [4] , given: 11

Re: Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 23:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The second part, about the two local companies and one long-distance provider, describes the parts the company is supposed to be broken into. C describes this clearly: "committee . . . called for the breakup of NTTC . . . into two local phone companies and one long-distance provider."

The choices using "so" almost make part 2 into an independent clause, as Tim describes in our forum. Think of other sentences that use "so" to link. "My boss told me to send the email, so I sent it." "I didn't eat your sandwich, so stop bothering me." The part after "so" can always stand alone as its own sentence (this is the meaning of an independent clause.)

Let's look at the second clause as a stand-alone sentence. "The committee called for the breakup of NTTC. So it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provider." The use of would is awkward if this part doesn't depend on the other. Why not "it will be"? If we put in the right word ("will"), the use of "so" makes it seem that because the committee called for the breakup, the second sentence *will* happen. In the credited response, we are told that the committee called for the breakup of the company into several parts, with no prediction of what will happen. This is a better description of the situation.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can make any of this clearer.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 04:02
clear pronoun ambiguity in all option except c. It might refer to committee or company :) hence C

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 04:10
Thanks DmitryFarber

Very clear explanation. C is the right answer. Independent clause , FANBOYS Independent Clause

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 05:20
Great Explanations from Daag & DmitryFarber +1 Kudos for both of you, and thank you Metallicanfan for posting this question.
This question has made us understand the independent clause , the conjunction and its usage.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
Schools: NUS '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

CAT Tests
Re: In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 17:14
In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world, so it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provider.

Hi guys, I might be a little too late asking this question (almost 2 years) on this thread :) , but I still try my luck, as I am not understanding one of the comment from Daagh.

@Daagh, As you mentioned, all independent clauses should have "Fanboys" coordinating conjugations joining them. But then in this question, the two independent clauses
1) In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world
2) it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provider.
already have a "so" joining them. Right? It doesn't seem to be a run-on to me. Can you help me understand why this is a case of run-on error?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 18:47
This post received
KUDOS
UrsTruly wrote:

Hi guys, I might be a little too late asking this question (almost 2 years) on this thread :) , but I still try my luck, as I am not understanding one of the comment from Daagh.

@Daagh, As you mentioned, all independent clauses should have "Fanboys" coordinating conjugations joining them. But then in this question, the two independent clauses
1) In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world
2) it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provider.
already have a "so" joining them. Right? It doesn't seem to be a run-on to me. Can you help me understand why this is a case of run-on error?

Its good question that made me ponder.. :-D
Answer:
@UrsTruly, I really loved the explanation of DmitryFarber from MGMAT.
See, clause 1) is clearly independent clause, but clause 2) is not independent. 'it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provide' In second clause 'it would be ' is the awkward part. Where does 'it' refers?
In the setence construction of X, so Y, it marely says that Y would happen if X has!
To correct the same, we can say, Govt Adv. committee called for the breakup of NTTC, so there will be two local...

All independent clauses should have "Fanboys" coordinating conjugations joining them.
FANBOYS stands for "For-And-Nor-But-Or-Yet-So", One of these will be used to join 2 independent clauses.

---------------------
Press Kudos if you liked my post :lol:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 23:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 20

CAT Tests
Re: In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 02:04
metallicafan wrote:

A. In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world, so it would be
B. The breakup of the world's largest telephone company, Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, was called for by a government advisory committee in Japan, so it would be
C. A government advisory committee in Japan called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the world's largest telephone company, into
D. The breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the world's largest telephone company, was called for by a government advisory committee in Japan, so it would be
E. Called for by a government advisory committee, the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company in Japan, the world's largest telephone company, was to be into

According to Manhattan GMAT, "so" in A,B and D is wrong because the second clause is dependent on the first.Therefore, "so" is an inappropiate conjunction. Could someone explain, please?

I think it must be D !!

Can anyone plz tell me what is the verb in C ?

Regards
LS

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1379 [0], given: 122

In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 16:09
lastshot wrote:
metallicafan wrote:

I think it must be D !!

Can anyone plz tell me what is the verb in C ?

Regards
LS

Hello LS

The structure of C is: X called for the breakup of Y,......., in to Z and T
The blue part is modifier. The main Subject is "A government advisory committee, the main verb is "called".

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2014, 16:09