Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 726 [63]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [20]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 726 [1]
Send PM
Re: In June, 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, [#permalink]
tennis_ball wrote:
D.

E is wrong due to tense.

BC are wrong due to whom.

A is wrong due to have had. "over the ensuing years" means it continues after their claim, but "have had" means it occurred before the girls' claim.

But the official answer is A...........I fail to undertand why?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Send PM
Re: In June, 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, [#permalink]
Kudos
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
tennis_ball wrote:
D.

E is wrong due to tense.

BC are wrong due to whom.

A is wrong due to have had. "over the ensuing years" means it continues after their claim, but "have had" means it occurred before the girls' claim.

But the official answer is A...........I fail to undertand why?

usage of have had is right.
To show continuation, the sentence would have to be something like: Since 1981, they have been having visions of Mary.

To make it simpler, replace have visions with seen.
In 1981, teenagers claimed to have seen Mary.
which means, they claimed to have had visions of Mary.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q47  V29
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sacmanitin wrote:
In June, 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, who they say has continued to appear to them over the ensuing years.
(A) claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, who
(B) claimed to have visions of the Virgin Mary, whom
(C) claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, whom
(D) claimed to have visions of the Virgin Mary, who
(E) had claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, whom

Please provide some details for the usage of has had ,have had and similar form

My answer is A.

1) Have had or Has had is present perfect, with had as the past participle. Present perfect indicates that action started in the past and continues in the future or the effect of the action continues in the future. Also, Has had is used for the third person singular (he/she/it) while Have had is used for all other persons (I/you/we/they).

The Have had usuage is correct because the sentence tells us that the visions continued since the 1981. Eliminate B and D.

2) Who is used when one is referring to the subject of a clause and whom is used when one is referring to the object of a clause. Virgin Mary is the subject in the second clause and the six teenagers are the object. Therefore, we should use who and not whom. Eliminate C and E.

Originally posted by sid3699 on 09 Sep 2009, 10:50.
Last edited by sid3699 on 09 Sep 2009, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1554 [2]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools:Chicago b.
Send PM
Kudos
hi.
quite challenging )))

Please consider my version

In June, 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, who they say has continued to appear to them over the ensuing years.

1st of all we can eliminate all answers with whom. (can comment, if needed)
2nd between A and D
If you'd like to use visions as vivid mental image, the right construction of usage will be Have visions.
For ex. He had visions of becoming the Elton John of his time. (past simple)
"claimed to have visions" means that teenagers "claimed" and at the same time "have visions" of Mary, but author want to show that teenagers "had vision" before they "claimed". That is the reason of "Have had vision" A.

e also have other awkward usage of perfect t. "had claimed in June 1981".

hope it will be useful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Masters in Finance
Schools:London Business School
Send PM
sacmanitin wrote:

Please provide some details for the usage of has had ,have had and similar form

Answer A

"who" is required i/o "whom".
who has continued to appear.......

We are talking about June, 1981. So, we need past perfect "have had" i/o present "have".
claimed to have had visions of the.........
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
i am going with the option A. whom is not required here because who modifies mary which is the subject of the verb has continued. BUT i have doubt about sequence of tense here. the usage of present tense is legit here while the starting of the sentence is past. please help
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM