Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developer’s

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Posts: 402
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developer’s [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 00:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developer’s plans to build 300 houses on a large portion of the 210-acre site of the Battle of Princeton, one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields that had remained undeveloped.
(A) one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields that had remained undeveloped
(B) one of eight of the only Revolutionary War battlefields that have remained undeveloped
(C) one of the only eight undeveloped Revolutionary War battlefields that remains
(D) only one of eight Revolutionary War battlefields to remain undeveloped
(E) only one of the eight remaining undeveloped Revolutionary War battlefields

Need explanations.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 577
Location: San Jose, CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_2 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 00:16
Will go with D
D correctly links the undeveloped bfield to the ONLY one of the 8 bfields

(A) one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields that had remained undeveloped
(B) one of eight of the only Revolutionary War battlefields that have remained undeveloped
(C) one of the only eight undeveloped Revolutionary War battlefields that remains

In A,B,C ONLY is in the wrong place. The author means out of the 8 bfields only one is undeveloped.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 17:36
I'll go with A on this one
A) "One of only X" is proper usage when we intend to say that it is one out of a limited group of. Furthermore, past perfect tense is good since it means that the lands were undeveloped before the actual development happened(in 1989).
B) "one of eight of the only" --> this is not english to me
C) wrong use of present tense "remains" since the underdevelopment happened before the construction. Furthermore, third person singular use "remains" should have been third person plural "remain"
D) changes the meaning of the sentence. Why are the battlefields to remain undeveloped if there are now plans to build 300 houses on it?
E) "only one of the eight" shifts the emphasis of the importance of the 210-acre site of the Battle of Princeton. This means that the site is only one of the many battlefields and is unimportant in and of itself whereas the sentence should convey the idea that the site IS important since it is part of ONLY eight existing battlefields
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 971
Location: Florida
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_2 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 17:45
mba wrote:
In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developer’s plans to build 300 houses on a large portion of the 210-acre site of the Battle of Princeton, one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields that had remained undeveloped.
(A) one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields that had remained undeveloped
(B) one of eight of the only Revolutionary War battlefields that have remained undeveloped
(C) one of the only eight undeveloped Revolutionary War battlefields that remains
(D) only one of eight Revolutionary War battlefields to remain undeveloped
(E) only one of the eight remaining undeveloped Revolutionary War battlefields

Need explanations.

A, my answer.
A) correctly uses past perfect tense.
B) "..of the only Revolutionary war.." refers to the war not the battlefields.
C) present tense?? we are talking of the past.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Posts: 402
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2004, 23:48
OA is (A).

Good explanation Paul,

Thanks
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 865
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2005, 05:17
Sorry for bringing this post out late. I don't want to post another one. But I don't understand the part "had remained undeveloped". Can someone explain it with some grammar rule please?

"had remained" is in past perfect and "remained" in a verb. So what is up with "undeveloped". Look like it is a verb too in participle right after "remained". Shoundn't it be "had remained to be undeveloped"??


Please comment.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2005, 06:17
Excellent explanation from Paul.
We have to use past perfect tense over here.
It was never developed and it is not developed still.
Its like this probably.
Iraq War had been a great burden on our economy in terms of budget deficits :roll: :cry: ).

I hope I'm clear in explaining this scenario.
In the same way, it was never developed and its still undeveloped.

Aryan.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2005, 07:50
qhoc0010 wrote:
Sorry for bringing this post out late. I don't want to post another one. But I don't understand the part "had remained undeveloped". Can someone explain it with some grammar rule please?

"had remained" is in past perfect and "remained" in a verb. So what is up with "undeveloped". Look like it is a verb too in participle right after "remained". Shoundn't it be "had remained to be undeveloped"??


Please comment.

I see your question. "undeveloped" is a past participle. Past/present participles are NOT verbs. They act as adjectives or adverbs. In this case, "undeveloped" is acting as an adverb. How did the "210-acre site of the Battle of Princeton" remain? Undeveloped.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 865
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2005, 11:52
Wow, thanks for your quick explaination, Paul.
I learn something new everyday.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2005, 13:49
Paul wrote:
I'll go with A on this one
A) "One of only X" is proper usage when we intend to say that it is one out of a limited group of. Furthermore, past perfect tense is good since it means that the lands were undeveloped before the actual development happened(in 1989).
B) "one of eight of the only" --> this is not english to me
C) wrong use of present tense "remains" since the underdevelopment happened before the construction. Furthermore, third person singular use "remains" should have been third person plural "remain"
D) changes the meaning of the sentence. Why are the battlefields to remain undeveloped if there are now plans to build 300 houses on it?
E) "only one of the eight" shifts the emphasis of the importance of the 210-acre site of the Battle of Princeton. This means that the site is only one of the many battlefields and is unimportant in and of itself whereas the sentence should convey the idea that the site IS important since it is part of ONLY eight existing battlefields


Paul, i have a couple of questions on this SC:

#1: AC A follow the following structure: IC, DC.

IC = Princeton Township approved a developer’s plans to build 300 houses on a large portion of the 210-acre site of the Battle of Princeton

DC = one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields that had remained undeveloped.

However AC "D" follows the same structure syntatically: IC, DC. How does the change in tense [from past perfect to present tense] modify the meaning of the sentence?

Could you please elaborate on how AC D and E modify the meaning of the sentence. I read your explanation above and didnt understand it.

regards,
gmataquaguy
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 23:25
Paul wrote:
I'll go with A on this one
A) "One of only X" is proper usage when we intend to say that it is one out of a limited group of. Furthermore, past perfect tense is good since it means that the lands were undeveloped before the actual development happened(in 1989).


:cool
  [#permalink] 16 Jun 2007, 23:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developers bsd_lover 2 26 Apr 2008, 16:44
In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developers nitinneha 2 10 Apr 2007, 14:36
In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developers jyotsnasarabu 4 28 Nov 2006, 06:20
In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developers macca 1 13 Sep 2005, 13:26
In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developers sgrover 5 12 Sep 2005, 21:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developer’s

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.