Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 09:24
+1 B by POE.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 15:22
B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 71

Re: critical reasoning problem [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2011, 06:12
subhashghosh wrote:
The answer is B.

Hi, is it your own answer or the OA?

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 07:34
has to be B , that is the only logical answer which weakens the argument.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 09:45
B is the one that makes more sense for me. However, as i have already said, according to my source, oa is D.
please clarify.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 22:26
its a clean B here.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 23:16
+1 to B. Got it by POE. B is the best of the worst!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: critical reasoning problem [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 02:11
+1 for B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 05:37
I'd also go with B..
Manager
Manager
Status: If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 21:24
IMHO 'B', though it doesn't really weakens the argument cause argument says "eventually" but then this is the best option we have.

--Syed
" Some are desperate for success, and therefore destined for it."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 20

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 17:43
Though among all B seems to be the closest possible one, i seriously suspect its wording.

Conclusion is more no. of people with one degree enter the market.
But B says, there are no drop outs in the colleges (more no of students remain in the courses before completing those courses), i.e., the average no. of people who completes the course is increasing. If this no. is increasing, obviously no. of people entering the market is also increasing which actually supports the argument.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 23:04
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Premise: Avg. salary for college grad jobs > Avg. salary for other jobs
No. of ppl enrolling in college has been increasing steadily.
Conclusion: therefore the no. of ppl who have a college degree will be greater than that of prev. years
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree. Irrelevant.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years. Seems correct. If the avg. no. of years a student remains in college increases, then the no. of college grad taking jobs may not increase.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries. Irrelevant. We are not bothered about other countries.
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.Strengthens the argument. The employers want more ppl with coll. degrees. The number of college students is also increasing.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.Irrelevant.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 16:17
+1 B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 67

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 02:09
scorpio7, you should have specified the source of this question: GMAT Prep.
Guys, please explain to me what is your point in writing posts like "+1 B"? Don't we have the counter for that? Now we have 2 pages of litter and maybe a few valuable responses somewhere inbetween. Mods, I kindly please tag the thread and clean it up a little, GMAT Prep problems deserve the highest attention!

scorpio7 wrote:
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

Graduates earn more than Not-graduates. More and more people go to college.
Conclusion: Therefore, there will eventually be more graduates entering the job market than in the past.

To weaken this conclusion, we need to find a reason why the graduates would not enter (or enter at a lowered rate) the job market.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree
The distinction between single and double majors is out of scope.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
This is the OA. Yet, I am not in love with it, for the AC reads that "the average number of years" has been extended, while the argument reads that the number of graduates entering the market "will eventually be significantly higher". No matter how the college period has been extended, it cannot last forever, thus the graduates will eventually enter the market in significantly increased number. Please have your say on that.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
Both the percentage and the comparison are irrelevant.
D. In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
This was my answer. I've conjectured that the increased number of enrollments is a result of higher requirements for the current working force. The graduates would then not enter the job market as they would not have left it at all. True, this is based on the assumption that the employers demand that the workers go to college. However, this assumption seemed to me just to be drawn on this AC, so I've fallen into it. Please discuss.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.
This does not influence the fact that the new graduates will be entering the job market.

I bumped on this question in my mock test and marked it incorrectly. After longer consideration I am still not convinced with the OA. Experts, I would be glad to hear your explanation of this problem. :)

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 03:56
scorpio7 wrote:
D. In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.

IMO D
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree but why the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily over the last few years? Choice D exactly answers this question. Only in recent years, employers have changed their requirement for jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees. So Kravonians must enroll in college if they want to get a job.
Choice B talk about the average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled so I think the best answer should be D.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Supply Chain Management (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 8

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 04:30
I will go with B.

B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
If they stay in college longer, they will enter job late..

Cheers!

+1 Kudos if you like my post! :-D

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2013, 04:30