Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 15:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 676 [1] , given: 40

GMAT Tests User
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 05:05
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (02:24) correct 34% (01:21) wrong based on 101 sessions
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been
higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Current enrollments in Kravonia’s colleges indicate that over the next four years the percentage of the Kravonian workforce with college degrees will increase dramatically. Therefore, the average salary for all workers in Kravonia is likely to increase over the next four years.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn more, on average, than do
Kravonians with only one college degree.
B. The percentage of Kravonians who attend college in order to earn higher salaries
is higher now than it was several years ago.
C. The higher average salary for jobs requiring a college degree is not due largely to
a scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree.
D. The average salary in Kravonia for jobs that do not require a college degree will
not increase over the next four years.
E. Few members of the Kravonian workforce earned their degrees in other countries.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

8 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 254 [8] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Average salary in Kravonia [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 06:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

there are two types of assumptions: supporter and defender.

supporter: directly strengthens the conclusion.
All men like baseball games. Therefore, Jack likes baseball too.
supporter assumption: Jack is a man.

defender: protects the arguments by eliminating ideas that weaken the conclusion.
Jack is a lawyer and he is smart. Thus, studying law made Jack smart.
defender assumption: Jack was not smart before studying law

Conclusion: the average salary for all workers in Kravonia is likely to increase over the next four years
Possible reason of high pay: may be there are more jobs and less people who meet the requirement i.e. having a college degree.

C is also a defender assumption and is the right answer

another way to check assumption questions is to logically negate the answer and see if it weakens the conclusion.

Logical negative of C: the higher average salary for jobs requiring a college degree is due largely to a scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree.

the logical negative definitely weakens the conclusion and is the right answer

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Average salary in Kravonia [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 10:52
I think the answer is B.

Conclusion: the average salary for all workers in Kravonia is likely to increase over the next four years.

The average will increase if the salary of individuals will increase and salary will increase only if they have high paying jobs. High paying jobs are possible only with college degree. Hence the assumption is - more people will be enrolled in college to get the degree.

OA please. Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Average salary in Kravonia [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 11:26
C it is.

Cannot predict B as Akhil says. Negation on B doesn't invalidate the conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Average salary in Kravonia [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 13:23
amp0201 wrote:
I think the answer is B.

Conclusion: the average salary for all workers in Kravonia is likely to increase over the next four years.

The average will increase if the salary of individuals will increase and salary will increase only if they have high paying jobs. High paying jobs are possible only with college degree. Hence the assumption is - more people will be enrolled in college to get the degree.

OA please. Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh

The percentage of Kravonians who attend college in order to earn higher salaries is higher now than it was several years ago.
this doesnt mean that they WILL get high salaries after they graduate

logical negative: The percentage of Kravonians who attend college in order to earn higher salaries is NOT higher now than it was several years ago.
does the above weaken the conclusion ... absolutely not

B cannot be the answer.

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Average salary in Kravonia [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 20:02
I am sure answer is C.

applying negation on C and the argument falls apart.
The higher average salary for jobs requiring a college degree IS LARGELY DUE TO a scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree. >> it provides a NEW factor for higher salary rather than the college degree.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 676 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Average salary in Kravonia [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 20:57
Good job guys. OA is C.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: Average salary in Kravonia [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 03:35
c for me 2.

I used the causal effect funda. Using the case, where A(degree) is the cause of B( higher salary) . This can be strenghthen based on the assumption that some other C (lack of degree applicants) is not the cause of B. :wink:

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Average salary in Kravonia [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 21:58
ykaiim wrote:
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been
higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Current enrollments in Kravonia’s colleges indicate that over the next four years the percentage of the Kravonian workforce with college degrees will increase dramatically. Therefore, the average salary for all workers in Kravonia is likely to increase over the next four years.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn more, on average, than do
Kravonians with only one college degree.
B. The percentage of Kravonians who attend college in order to earn higher salaries
is higher now than it was several years ago.
C. The higher average salary for jobs requiring a college degree is not due largely to
a scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree.
D. The average salary in Kravonia for jobs that do not require a college degree will
not increase over the next four years.
E. Few members of the Kravonian workforce earned their degrees in other countries.

By process of elimination i got rid of options A/B and E
Between C and D I could not choose an answer choice, so basically i am not convinced with any of the answer choices.
would appreciate if someone could help me out with this-MY Understanding
Conclusion-average salary for all workers would increase in the next four years.
Premise-over the next four years the percentage of the Kravonian workforce with college degrees will increase dramatically
Premise 2-the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree

now according to option C
The higher average salary for jo.bs requiring a college degree is not due largely toa scarcity among the Kravonian workforce of people with a college degree ....then how does adding more people with college degree to the workforce help in raising the average salary....?
Someone pls explain ....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Average salary in Kravonia [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 22:09
C is saying that the author is assuming that the average salary for college graduates has been more for reasons other than their scarcity till now.
That is an assumption the author is making - if it were to be false, that is, if the larger salary was due to the fact that there was a scarcity of college graduated, then if more students have enrolled and will get degrees 4 years later, it might lead to enough graudates in the market and hence employers wouldnt have to pay more to get one!- Simple Demand - supply. In other words, if it is short supply of graduates in comparison to demand which is leading to them being paid higher, more graduates in market may lead to fillling of the demand gap and they might not be paid as highly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Average salary in Kravonia [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 10:57
C for sure
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 23:13
I saw this question on the GMATPrep but it wasn't asking about assumption but for a strengthener. Thanks for this post.

My answer is C.

A. The issue is between non-college and college degree holders not more than one degree holder. Irrelevant.

B. This is pertaining to the reasons why people are going to college. The author needs not assume about their reasons. An increase in college degree holders whatever their actual reasons are should still lead to more college degree holders in the job market. Their reasons are irrelevant to the pull up of the average salary of the workforce. Irrelevant.

C. The author asserts that there will be a dramatic increase in college degree holders in the workforce and confidently affirms that the average salary will then go up due to these incoming workers with higher salaries. By negation, if the scarcity is the reason for higher salary and there are more available workers, the average salary will not go up as expected. This must be assumed by the author.

D. This is more of a trap. Even if their salary remain the same, the increase of incoming workers with higher pay will still pull up the average salary of the workforce. If it increase, the more likely the average salary will increase.

E. Degrees from outside countries - IRRELEVANT..

Impossible is nothing to God.

VP
VP
Followers: 209

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 23:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 342 [0], given: 302

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 10:20
Why not D?
On negating D, we get that the average salary of the non degree requiring jobs will increase. This makes the argument fall apart...

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 18

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 11:19
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Why not D?
On negating D, we get that the average salary of the non degree requiring jobs will increase. This makes the argument fall apart...

Upon negating choice D actually strengthens the conclusion rather than weakening. If the average salaries of non degree requiring jobs increase too, then they would add to the total average salaries of all jobs in Karvonia. Hence choice D could not be an assumption.

Hope I made some sense.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 11:19