Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: pyramids of giza (OG12) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 21:21
metallicafan wrote:
I don't think that the explanation given by GMAT Tiger is enough. There must be a grammatical explanation, not only logical.

Anyone who can answer the question, please?:why "them" is correctly referring to the chambers in E and not to tourists as in C,D (as per explanation in OG 12)

Thanks!

I understand your thinking

think this way

pronoun ambiguity can be acceptable if there is not better choice. pronoun ambiguity is not absolute grammar rule such as subject-verb agreement or tense usage.

pronoun ambiguity can be CORRECT BUT NOT PREFERED.

I write about CORRECT BUT NOT PREFERED in many places on the internet,. pplease read and clear your doubt of some patterns in sc gmat.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 06:58
Hi folks,

Seems that Nobody has answered "Why them in C/D is ambiguous while it is perfect in E". Here is what I think:

Whenever I do SC I just ask question to me why why and thereby I get closer.

We already know that non-underlined part is EFFECT and is the main clause/main idea about which we will talk.

Consider (C).

because tourists were exhaling moisture, which
had raised the humidity within them to levels
such that salt from the stone would crystallize

Lets dissect it.

Clause: tourists were exhaling moisture
Clause: which had raised humidity within them to levels.

Knowing the fact that we already stated the effect and now we are talking about the cause so for
the clause starting with which , it depends on the clause started with because thereby it refers back
to "tourists".

Consider (D).

because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists
raising the humidity within them to levels so high
as to make the salt from the stone crystallize

Dissect it:

because of X that...Blah Blah.

Because of moisture exhaled by tourists raising humidity levels within them .

'them' clearly refers back to tourists.

Hope that helps

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-17-2013
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 07:24
Hi, I agree that no one has given 100% foolproof answer to the original question of justifying 'Them', so we must go with the definition of a correct answer in Official guide - 'Select the answer that produces the most effective sentence'.

In all the answer choices 'E ' produces the most effective sentence.

Thanks & Regards
Yodee

‘A good plan violently executed now is better than a
perfect plan executed next week.’

- General Georg S. Patton

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 12:52
srini123 wrote:
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.

(A) due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing
(B) due to moisture that tourists had exhaled,thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize
(C) because tourists were exhaling moisture, which had raised the humidity within them to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize
(D) because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising the humidity within them to levels so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize
(E) because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

my question is :

[Reveal] Spoiler:
why "them" is correctly referring to the channels in E and not to tourists as in C,D (as per explanation in OG 12)

Subject is chambers, thus "its" is wrong and therefore we eliminate A and B.

"such that salt" sounds weird and so does "which had raised" because it is not clear what "had raised" refers to. C is gone.
"exhaled by tourists raising the humidity" obviously distorts the intended meaning of the author. D is gone.

Everything in E makes sense, and as far as parallelism goes, "salt... was crystalizing" is parallel to "fungus was growing", both have subject + present participle in a correct way.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.7
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 42

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 05:39
Guys, I found the discusion about the same question in manhattan forum. Accroding to this, Pronoun reference errors should be given least priority.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/in- ... 14977.html
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 00:42
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.

(A) due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing
(B) due to moisture that tourists had exhaled, thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize
(C) because tourists were exhaling moisture, which had raised the humidity within them to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize
(D) because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising the humidity within them to levels so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize
(E) because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

N.B I have posted this question so that e-gmat people can reply. Thanks!

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2615 [0], given: 696

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 03:01
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Insead '14, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 10-17-2014
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 21

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2014, 22:25
I assume that there's no question that option E is the correct answer. Now the question to what "them" is referring is more logical than grammatical? Here's my take -

In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing.

option 1 - In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within the chambers to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing.

option 2 - In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within tourists to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing.

Logically moisture increasing inside the tourists (humans) sounds awkward therefore in my opinion, Option 1 is a better choice any day.

I request @e-gmat or any other expert to reply on this post.

Thanks
Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2014, 22:25