Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 98 [4] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 18:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:59) correct 28% (01:04) wrong based on 977 sessions
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.

(A) due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing
(B) due to moisture that tourists had exhaled,thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize
(C) because tourists were exhaling moisture, which had raised the humidity within them to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize
(D) because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising the humidity within them to levels so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize
(E) because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

my question is :

[Reveal] Spoiler:
why "them" is correctly referring to the channels in E and not to tourists as in C,D (as per explanation in OG 12)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Last edited by Zarrolou on 13 Jun 2013, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [3] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: pyramids of giza (OG12) [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
I got the answer right immediately, but never paid attention to the us of them. I assume I chose the answer E based on other grammar errors.
Concerning your question, I think, it is because in the answer E, the tourists are not the noun of the second part of the sentence, moisture is the noun, so you can omit the phrase "exhaled by tourists," and the sentence will still make sense, thus them is not referring to tourists obviously, and moreover, I believe it is not referring to moisture as well.
In answers C and D, the use of word them vaguely refers to tourists...

Never give up,,,

4 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [4] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: pyramids of giza (OG12) [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
srini123 wrote:
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for
cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.

(A) due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing
(B) due to moisture that tourists had exhaled, thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize
(C) because tourists were exhaling moisture, which had raised the humidity within them to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize
(D) because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising the humidity within them to levels so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize
(E) because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

A, B and D are out for "due to" and "because of". Both are GMAT unfavorables.
C and E are close. The obvious problem with C is that it has passive construction. C is also not parallel to the last part of the sentence.

Why "them" refers to "chambers' not "tourists" is a matter of logical reasoning. If "them" does not refers to "chambers" but tourist, it makes the sentence so illogical that the meaning would be tourists exhaled moisture within themselves (tourist) not in the chambers and this act raises the humidity within the tourists. In that case, the meaning of the sentence becomes completely illogical.

So E is best...

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: pyramids of giza (OG12) [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 06:09
mirzohidjon wrote:
I got the answer right immediately, but never paid attention to the us of them. I assume I chose the answer E based on other grammar errors.
Concerning your question, I think, it is because in the answer E, the tourists are not the noun of the second part of the sentence, moisture is the noun, so you can omit the phrase "exhaled by tourists," and the sentence will still make sense, thus them is not referring to tourists obviously, and moreover, I believe it is not referring to moisture as well.
In answers C and D, the use of word them vaguely refers to tourists...

Thanks, that helps why them in E is not referring to tourists. +1 Kudos

Thanks, Sri

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: pyramids of giza (OG12) [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 06:10
GMAT TIGER wrote:
srini123 wrote:
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for
cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.

(B) due to moisture that tourists had exhaled, thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize

A, B and D are out for "due to" and "because of". Both are GMAT unfavorables.
C and E are close. The obvious problem with C is that it has passive construction. C is also not parallel to the last part of the sentence.

Why "them" refers to "chambers' not "tourists" is a matter of logical reasoning. If "them" does not refers to "chambers" but tourist, it makes the sentence so illogical that the meaning would be tourists exhaled moisture within themselves (tourist) not in the chambers and this act raises the humidity within the tourists. In that case, the meaning of the sentence becomes completely illogical.

So E is best...

Thanks GMATTiger, this is another way to see why them is not referring to tourists in E, +1 Kudos to u too :)

Thanks, Sri

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 18

Re: pyramids of giza (OG12) [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 18:01
Hi there,

Just as srini123, I'm asking myself why "them" could not refer back to tourists... I know that it is pretty unlogical but still a little confusing. On another website I found a solution to this very problem with the following general rule:

Quote:
RULE: If a noun is neither subject or object of main clause/sentence then it doesn't introduce pronoun ambiguity in that sentence.

Can someone confirm that this is generally true. I'm afraid that this is wrong but maybe we can improve the definition in some way :)

Thanks
Steve
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: pyramids of giza (OG12) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 18:31
I don't think that the explanation given by GMAT Tiger is enough. There must be a grammatical explanation, not only logical.

Anyone who can answer the question, please?:why "them" is correctly referring to the chambers in E and not to tourists as in C,D (as per explanation in OG 12)

Thanks!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1549 [2] , given: 248

Re: pyramids of giza (OG12) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 21:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
RULE: If a noun is neither subject nor object of main clause/sentence then it doesn't introduce pronoun ambiguity in that sentence.

Can this rule be true?; if I change choice E a little bit as follows, what will be the effect and will it still stick to the above rule?

Revised E) because moisture exhaled by tourists during ‘their respiration’ had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

What will the pronoun ‘their’ refer to in the slightly revised version? Tourists or chambers? Logically of course to tourists, becos, the chambers can not respire after all. However, As per rule, ‘their’ should first refer to the subject of the main sentence, namely, ‘the chambers’.

Can the quoted rule be universal? How can we exclude pronoin anbiguity other than by
logic?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: pyramids of giza (OG12) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 02:19
Can someone answer to daagh's question, it is very relevant...

daagh wrote:
Quote:
RULE: If a noun is neither subject nor object of main clause/sentence then it doesn't introduce pronoun ambiguity in that sentence.

Can this rule be true?; if I change choice E a little bit as follows, what will be the effect and will it still stick to the above rule?

Revised E) because moisture exhaled by tourists during ‘their respiration’ had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

What will the pronoun ‘their’ refer to in the slightly revised version? Tourists or chambers? Logically of course to tourists, becos, the chambers can not respire after all. However, As per rule, ‘their’ should first refer to the subject of the main sentence, namely, ‘the chambers’.

Can the quoted rule be universal? How can we exclude pronoin anbiguity other than by
logic?

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 20:00
The answer choice I picked was E:

A. There are a few problems I noticed in this answer choice. Firstly, the pronoun "its" refers back to chambers, but chambers is plural. Therefore, there is a problem with the number of the pronoun. I also did not like the use of "which" as a modifier here because it seems to modify tourists and not the phrase "moisture exhaled by tourists." Finally, the word "so" is unnecessary.

B. The first problem I noticed was "had exhaled." The use of past perfect tense is not needed when simple past would be perfectly sufficient. Also, "would crystallize" is not parallel to the last phrase.

C. "Would crystallize" is not parallel to the last phrase.

D. Again the last phrases are not parallel.

Therefore, I am left with the answer choice E.

In choice C and D, the word "them" is separated from tourists and chambers by a clause. Therefore, I thought this pronoun was ambiguous. If you notice in choice E, it makes logical sense that "them" can only refer to chambers.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 643 [2] , given: 6

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 18:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
I understand why A,B and D are out. Can you use one of the 10 core frameworks to explain C vs E?

Look at X&Y consistency when you see the keyword "and" after the underlined portion.

You notice the second half says "...and fungus was growing on the walls"

So whatever is to the left of the word "and" needs to be consistent.

Between (C) and (E) - which would you choose?

(C): "..such that salt from the stone would crystallize"

(E): "..to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing"

Between the two, we need (E) so we get:

"[X] was crystallizing and [y] was growing"

So as you can see, this is simply an X&Y consistency question.

We've also posted a video solution to this question here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... /(OG12-006)%20(OG13-008)%20-%20Pyramid%20Chambers/question/1844

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Last edited by GMATPill on 16 Mar 2014, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 04:52
||

E

n late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the
Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for
cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by
tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so
that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus
was growing on the walls.

(E) because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised
the humidity within them to such levels that salt
from the stone was crystallizing
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [2] , given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS
1: Modifier Error - which refers to tourists
2: Pronoun Number - "its" should refer to "chambers" - thus number error.
3: Meaning - Use of "due to" implies that the closure of chambers was caused by moisture. This is not correct because closure was caused by the effect of the moisture as explained in choice E.

1: Verb tense - had exhaled is incorrect verb tense.
2: Parallelism - "salt would crystallize" is not parallel to "fungus was growing".
3: Meaning - Use of "due to" implies that the closure of chambers was caused by moisture. This is not correct because closure was caused by the effect of the moisture as explained in choice E.

1: Verb Tense - " were exhaling" is incorrect verb tense; "had raised" is incorrect verb tense.
2: Parallelism - "salt would crystallize" is not parallel to "fungus was growing".

1: Modifier Error - "raising humidity" appears to modify "tourists" - incorrect
2: Parallelism - "salt crystallize" is not parallel to "fungus was growing".

Correct.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIBA
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Stern, Insead, ISB, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Information Technology (Banking and Financial Services)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 03:25
I don't think anyone has given a satisfactory reply to the question posed below ?

Can anyone answer the question, please?:why "them" is correctly referring to the chambers in E and not to tourists as in C,D (as per explanation in OG 12)

~soaringAlone
~Live fast, die young and leave a marketable corpse behind !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 282

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:09
soaringAlone wrote:
I don't think anyone has given a satisfactory reply to the question posed below ?

Can anyone answer the question, please?:why "them" is correctly referring to the chambers in E and not to tourists as in C,D (as per explanation in OG 12)

I believe, its more of meaning. Initially we talk about the chamber and then present a contrast or a subordinator 'because'. This means that the chambers were closed because the tourists did something. What did they do? 'exhaled moisture' which caused stone to blah blah... so 'them' must refer to chambers.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 543

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 05:46
The usage of "so as to" in option D is it an incorrect usage? Appears a lot in official question... Can anyone explain?

Pretty easy question just interested in usage of "so as to"

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 82

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 324

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 01:49
fozzzy wrote:
The usage of "so as to" in option D is it an incorrect usage? Appears a lot in official question... Can anyone explain?

Pretty easy question just interested in usage of "so as to"

I think its perfectly fine

For ex:
We do X so as to gain Y.

Hope it helps!

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 20:59
Expert's post
this has been a very common question for me now, i see this almost everywhere. Any significance in particular?

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 21:00
Expert's post
thanks GMAT Pill for the reply, it did help a lot

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 76 [2] , given: 59

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 02:50
This post received
KUDOS
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.

(B) due to moisture that tourists had exhaled,thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize

whenever you see parallel marker "and" always check if in current context is there any list? if yes...then you have to maintain symmetry to the both side of and...and this is what we have to do here!!
1.right side of "and" is ---> fungus was growing
2. hence left side of "and" should be ----> was crystallizing

thus we left with only two choices A & E
in Option A,Modifier its is not a correct usage since "its"(singular) is trying to refer "tourists" (plural)

so E is the correct choice..

Remember that potential unused turns into pain. So dedicate yourself to expressing your best.

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2013, 02:50