Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 10

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 12:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

51% (01:38) correct 49% (01:08) wrong based on 53 sessions
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey,
with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the
United States.

A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going

B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes

C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going

D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes

E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

What is wrong with A ?

Consider kudos for a good explanation

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
I did take E.

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey,
with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the
United States.

A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going. First part of the sentence was in present perfect. So i prefered selling over the past tense 'sold'.

B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes

C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going. awakard construction

D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes. Not parallel

E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going. Parallelism.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 08:12
i think the discrepancy lies in the subject of the sentence... in A), the main subject is "Argentina" (argentina has become..). however, in the next part of the sentence, it is referring to honey (90000 tons [of honey] sold...). ideally, the subject should be the same in both parts. this is accomplished in E, where "Argentina" is the subject for both parts of the sentence

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 21:24
The clause - X has become Y, needs a *ing word to be followed to modify the whole clause.

So its down to D and E.

D has issues with tense as already pointed out by the preceding poster. The word "and" is also not needed

So answer is E.

duttarupam wrote:
United States.

A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going

C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going

D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes

E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

What is wrong with A ?

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 09:50
I think after comma it should be telling about Argentina, so E is best, whereare if u see A it is not modifying Argentina.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 05:46
and in D simply creates an independent clause
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 1447 [0], given: 245

Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 07:41
Expert's post
The root cause of the problem is the use of the pronouns without proper antecedence wherever they appear.

In choice A what does the pronoun which stand for? Whether it is 90000 tons or foreign markets, we can not tell for sure.

In B, C and D half of it - what does it refer to? Obviously it can not refer to the plural 90,000 tons or the foreign markets. If so, is it the distantly placed sale or the subject of the main clause i.e. Argentina? The pronoun reference is ambiguous

That is why E is the best choice without the pronoun trap.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 09:39
if Argentina BECAME..., with sold makes better sense,
but Argentina has become..., so selling ( which is in progress sounds better to me
although I fell for A, but E is the best.
I like this question :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2011, 04:30
In E, "with almost half ..." is a prep phrase, that has to modify either a noun, if the prep phrase is acting as an adjective, or a verb, if the prep phrase is acting as an adverb.
Could anybody point out what is the function of the prep phrase and what is modifying?

thanks in advance!

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2011, 22:46
A,B,C can eliminated because "selling..." is the one modifying the entire sentence...
I was struck between D and E... but I find the sentence structure in E weird.."with almost half going to the US" din make sense to me... D has issues pertaining to the pronoun "it"...so that can be eliminated...

Is the usage in E correct????
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 10:41
nimrod wrote:
A,B,C can eliminated because "selling..." is the one modifying the entire sentence...
I was struck between D and E... but I find the sentence structure in E weird.."with almost half going to the US" din make sense to me... D has issues pertaining to the pronoun "it"...so that can be eliminated...

Is the usage in E correct????

Yes, it is correct, since it is the OA.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 20:53
E for me...."selling", "going"...parallel structure

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 02:40
shadow wrote:
i think the discrepancy lies in the subject of the sentence... in A), the main subject is "Argentina" (argentina has become..). however, in the next part of the sentence, it is referring to honey (90000 tons [of honey] sold...). ideally, the subject should be the same in both parts. this is accomplished in E, where "Argentina" is the subject for both parts of the sentence

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going to the United States.

Main clause -

Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey
Subject: Argentina
Verb: has become

in ans choice E- the first -ing modifier will modify the previous clause - and mainly subject of that clause which is "Argentina" - I got this
"selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets"

But, in the second part of answer choice "with almost half going to the United States." - i dont understand what should this modify.- My understanding says - "going to the united states." is also modifying "Argentina" - which is wrong. Because ""selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets"" is not a clause.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 12:25
The clause - X has become Y, needs a *ing word to be followed to modify the whole clause. a,b,c are out
since d has a goes which is not parallel to selling ..d is also out ..
correct ans should be E
Re: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2013, 12:25