Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618904 [23]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [8]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
Re: In many languages other than English there is a word for mothers bro [#permalink]
I do not understand the answer choice A. I selected C but its wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Schools: IE
GPA: 1
Send PM
Re: In many languages other than English there is a word for mothers bro [#permalink]
Not sure is A, I can only add an explanation but not 100%. I think the Russian language has many different names for different family members but I am not sure about the uncles differentiation. May be someone that speaks russian can help us with that. However, if that was the case the statement is missing some details.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
In many languages other than English there is a word for mothers bro [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
In many languages other than English there is a word for “mother’s brother” which is different from the word for “father’s brother,” whereas English uses the word “uncle” for both. Thus, speakers of these languages evidence a more finely discriminated kinship system than English speakers do. The number of basic words for colors also varies widely from language to language. Therefore, speakers of languages that have fewer basic words for colors than English has must be perceptually unable to distinguish as many colors as speakers of English can distinguish.

Which one of the following, if true, undermines the conclusion concerning words for colors?

(A) Speakers of English are able to distinguish between lighter and darker shades of the color they call “blue” for which Russian has two different basic words.

(B) Almost every language distinguishes red from the other colors.

(C) Khmer uses a basic word corresponding to English “blue” for most leaves, but uses its basic word corresponding to English “green” for unripe bananas.

(D) The word “orange” in English has the same origin as the equivalent word in Spanish.

(E) Most languages do not have a basic word that distinguishes gray from other colors, although gray is commonly found in nature.

The passage tries to analogize that lesser basic words for colors in a language means that people speaking those languages are unable to distinguish between colors.
B. What about the differentiation between other colors(except red). Conclusion still holds with an exception of red color. May be all languages evolved enough to uses a different word for red from others. INCORRECT.
C. Gives a specific example of a language with a specific basic word compared to English. However, the option doesn't hits the conclusion as it doesn't touches upon whether Khmer has less basic words and still people speaking this language are able to distinguish between colors. INCORRECT.
D. At best irrelevant. INCORRECT.
E. Tells us about an exception that exists in almost all languages. INCORRECT.

A. If English uses one word for two variants of a color which English speaking people can differentiate then this option takes on the passage head on, weakening conclusion. CORRECT.

Answer A.­
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts