Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 10:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 09:31
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:54) correct 47% (01:11) wrong based on 110 sessions
In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid off to save money. However, a decrease in the number of teachers generally results in a decrease in student performance. Thus, the same school districts that are laying off part-time teachers to save money will eventually have to hire more tutors to counteract diminished student performance.

The author is arguing that

A. diminished student performance will keep school districts from laying off part-time teachers
B. laying off part-time teachers to save money will result in other costs to the school districts
C. many part-time teachers who are laid off will have to retrain for other types of jobs
D. school districts that are laying off teachers will eventually rehire many of them
E. school districts will not save money by laying off part-time teachers
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2012
Posts: 55
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 10:53
B . Here's why:

Premise1: Part time teachers being fired by schools to save money.
Premise 2: Students grades decrease because of decrease in no. of teachers.

Conclusion: Schools that are firing teachers to save money will NEED TO HIRE tutors to help students.
As in, schools will anyways end up spending money. Nobody knows if it'll be still profitable or not. The argument simply says that costs are being saved by laying off, HOWEVER, schools will end up HIRING tutors so some cost implication will be there!

A. diminished student performance will keep school districts from laying off part-time teachers
Incorrect: Not mentioned anywhere.

B. laying off part-time teachers to save money will result in other costs to the school districts
CORRECT. Exactly what the argument is implying.

C. many part-time teachers who are laid off will have to retrain for other types of jobs.
Incorrect . Out of scope.

D. school districts that are laying off teachers will eventually rehire many of them
Incorrect. Author never talks about re-hiring the same teachers.

E. school districts will not save money by laying off part-time teachers
Contender. But not as strong as B because we don't know if the schools will still actually NOT SAVE any money. We know that schools will have to incur costs because of lay off but we don't know if that'll be profitable or not.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2013
Posts: 51
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 12-03-2013
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 119

Re: In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 02:32
surbhi87 wrote:
B . Here's why:

Premise1: Part time teachers being fired by schools to save money.
Premise 2: Students grades decrease because of decrease in no. of teachers.

Conclusion: Schools that are firing teachers to save money will NEED TO HIRE tutors to help students.
As in, schools will anyways end up spending money. Nobody knows if it'll be still profitable or not. The argument simply says that costs are being saved by laying off, HOWEVER, schools will end up HIRING tutors so some cost implication will be there!

A. diminished student performance will keep school districts from laying off part-time teachers
Incorrect: Not mentioned anywhere.

B. laying off part-time teachers to save money will result in other costs to the school districts
CORRECT. Exactly what the argument is implying.

C. many part-time teachers who are laid off will have to retrain for other types of jobs.
Incorrect . Out of scope.

D. school districts that are laying off teachers will eventually rehire many of them
Incorrect. Author never talks about re-hiring the same teachers.

E. school districts will not save money by laying off part-time teachers
Contender. But not as strong as B because we don't know if the schools will still actually NOT SAVE any money. We know that schools will have to incur costs because of lay off but we don't know if that'll be profitable or not.



I am maybe wrong, but the passage says: "a decrease in the number of teachers generally results in a decrease in student performance" and "to save money will eventually have to hire".

So, in option B "laying off part-time teachers to save money WILL result in other costs to the school districts" is wrong, it should be MIGHT.


Option C "many part-time teachers who are laid off will have to retrain for other types of jobs" seems to be correct.
The passage states that part-time teachers are being laid off to save money. So, if the teacher keeps working as part-tyme teacher, he or she might not get a new job, because part-time teachers are being laid off. In order to get a new job, they will have to became something else, such as tutors or full-time teachers.


--------------------
+KUDOS if I made you think in a different way. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 19
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 26

Reviews Badge
Re: In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 00:04
I hope "E" is Best.

A. diminished student performance will keep school districts from laying off part-time teachers
Schools may reduce the no.of lay offs instead of fully.
B. laying off part-time teachers to save money will result in other costs to the school districts
May be true but not specific.
C. many part-time teachers who are laid off will have to retrain for other types of jobs
Out of scope.
D. school districts that are laying off teachers will eventually rehire many of them
School may retain other teachers.
E. school districts will not save money by laying off part-time teachers
It is what clearly mentioned in the argument.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1120
Location: United States
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1387 [0], given: 122

Re: In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 01:24
schittuluri wrote:
I hope "E" is Best.

A. diminished student performance will keep school districts from laying off part-time teachers
Schools may reduce the no.of lay offs instead of fully.
B. laying off part-time teachers to save money will result in other costs to the school districts
May be true but not specific.
C. many part-time teachers who are laid off will have to retrain for other types of jobs
Out of scope.
D. school districts that are laying off teachers will eventually rehire many of them
School may retain other teachers.
E. school districts will not save money by laying off part-time teachers
It is what clearly mentioned in the argument.


Hi schittuluri

B and E are contenders. But E is not OA, the correct answer is B.

The argument just says that if schools lay off part-time teachers, they will have to hire tutors. It means schools can save money by laying off part-time teachers, but they have to pay for NEW costs - costs of hiring tutors. B clearly says the same.

E, however, says that school will not save money. It's too extreme. For example, schools can save 100 usd by laying off part-time teachers, but they have to pay 80 usd for tutors. Clearly, school can save money. Hence, E is not always correct.

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2012
Posts: 55
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 13:20
amgelcer wrote:

I am maybe wrong, but the passage says: "a decrease in the number of teachers generally results in a decrease in student performance" and "to save money will eventually have to hire".

So, in option B "laying off part-time teachers to save money WILL result in other costs to the school districts" is wrong, it should be MIGHT.


Not really. Generally as in usually, as in it DOES result in a decrease in student performance. Notice the strong language : "To save money WILL HAVE TO hire" . This means additional costs 1000% !

amgelcer wrote:
Option C "many part-time teachers who are laid off will have to retrain for other types of jobs" seems to be correct.
The passage states that part-time teachers are being laid off to save money. So, if the teacher keeps working as part-tyme teacher, he or she might not get a new job, because part-time teachers are being laid off. In order to get a new job, they will have to became something else, such as tutors or full-time teachers.

This doesnt attack the conclusion as much. This is steering away from the main point. Concentrate on the fact that laying-off of teachers will lead to schools hiring more tutors (as stated in the argument). This is no way indicates anything about what the teachers' fate will be or how their careers will move fwd.
Hope this makes sense :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2012
Posts: 55
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 13:23
schittuluri wrote:
I hope "E" is Best.

A. diminished student performance will keep school districts from laying off part-time teachers
Schools may reduce the no.of lay offs instead of fully.
B. laying off part-time teachers to save money will result in other costs to the school districts
May be true but not specific.
C. many part-time teachers who are laid off will have to retrain for other types of jobs
Out of scope.
D. school districts that are laying off teachers will eventually rehire many of them
School may retain other teachers.
E. school districts will not save money by laying off part-time teachers
It is what clearly mentioned in the argument.


Exactly like pghai said, E is too extreme. School districts may/may not "save" money. All we know from the question is that schools are firing, but they may have to hire again! Nobody knows if this will result in profilt/loss/breakeven !
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2013
Posts: 78
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 06:19
I endorse sthittuluri POV
E is the high probable answer: the conclusion says " more tutors.." and w.r.t the laid-off tutors. thus, in worst case even the cost will be same if not lower. The comparison is between no. of tutor laid-off to potential required. Moreover, in option B no where it is mentioned that Laying off will cost other costs. If one refutes the above then pl explain me that in such case, "more tutors" is more w.r.t to whom.
Re: In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2013, 06:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic According to the new school district policy, only teachers voodoochild 7 07 Sep 2012, 19:29
Experts publish their posts in the topic In how many ways can a teacher in a kindergarten school Vamshi8411 3 26 Jul 2012, 04:31
LAID bmwhype2 2 05 Sep 2007, 10:25
Critical Reasoning: School District minhthel 3 13 May 2007, 12:59
Officials in Atlanta's public schools, as do many districts lfox2 3 26 Nov 2006, 06:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In many school districts, part-time teachers are being laid

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.