Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 08:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (01:39) correct 48% (00:49) wrong based on 218 sessions
In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within the family, just as it had once been among the Russian aristocracy.

A. just as it had once been among the Russian aristocracy

B. just like it once had been among the Russian aristocracy

C. just as the Russian aristocracy had once done

D. similar to what the Russian aristocracy had done once

E. like what had once been done by the Russian aristocracy
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [5] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
amritgodofwar wrote:
In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within the family, just as it had once been among the Russian aristocracy.

In this sentence two actions are being compared. Action of language being spoken. so LIKE can be eliminated altogether as like is used for comparing nouns. B and E gone. Now between A & C, we see that non- underlined part of sentence is in passive voice. 'french was spoken ' , so the underlined part of sentence should have a similar construction. french was spoken - just as it had once been. Both are in passive , Thus A is correct. Look at C it doesn't emphasis the language but instead emphasises the russian aristocracy and changes the construction to active voice. We can't have two forms of voice in one sentence . so B and D out.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 52

Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 21:34
This post received
KUDOS
I chose A - uses as and passive voice as in the main clause

B and E - like should not be used for comparing actions

C and D - active voice is being used
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 08:43
I chose C.

A- it refers to an act rather than something concrete- wrong
B- same as above- wrong
C- correct, and concise too
D- done once.. once? not again??- wrong
E- like... - wrong

Can someone please explain why the answer is A and not C.

Thanks.
Amrit.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 13:13
well answer choices can be eliminated as below

A- let's keep it for a while
B- Like is used to compare nouns/pronouns...whereas here sentence is comparing use of french
C and D - Wrong modifiers as, not Russian Aristrocracy but french Language Use had to be modified.
E- Missing pronoun for Subject on what was done by Russian's

Out of all only possible is A
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 19:02
+1 for A.

A good "like" vs "as" question.

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 06:26
Parallelism is required. Like cannot be used. A
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 06:46
Y, just as X

Choice A is the correct one.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 07:29
Its should be A, in C C the meaning is reverse

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 08:18
+1 A , good question to brush up the parallel question basics
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 241

Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes... [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 02:12
Aj85 wrote:
amritgodofwar wrote:

In this sentence two actions are being compared. Action of language being spoken. so LIKE can be eliminated altogether as like is used for comparing nouns. B and E gone. Now between A & C, we see that non- underlined part of sentence is in passive voice. 'french was spoken ' , so the underlined part of sentence should have a similar construction. french was spoken - just as it had once been. Both are in passive , Thus A is correct. Look at C it doesn't emphasis the language but instead emphasises the russian aristocracy and changes the construction to active voice. We can't have two forms of voice in one sentence . so B and D out.

Hi AJ85,
I would like to emphasize that use of Active & passive voice is NOT THE MAIN difference between option A & C.
Option C compares two actions "French was spoken in many Egyptian homes" & "Russian aristocracy has done once" but the comparison does not make any logical sense.
On the contrary option A compares two actions "French was spoken in many Egyptian homes" & "French had once been spoken among Russian aristocracy" , and thus the comparison makes any logical sense.

Even though option A is best among the rest, but i feel the quality of this question is quite POOR for 2 reasons:-
a) Split infinitive is used in option A (Incorrect most of the times)
b) Pronoun "IT" cannot stand for a Clause/action.

Hope it helps.
Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 22:21
A - contender, looks good
B - Just like never true in GMAT
C - Contender , keep it
D - Similar to/Like used to compare nouns not the act i.e. clause or phrase, here similar to is used to compare many upper class Egyptian homes with the act the Russian had done. So false.
E - same as D

Now left with A and C, well now looking at the meaning of the sentence which talks about the language French but in C the language French is not mentioned at all and in A the pronoun it clearly refers to French. Hence A is true
McCombs Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

CAT Tests
Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 22:50

Correct

there is redundancy when we use "just" and "like" together, also like cannot be used for comparing actions

didn't sound right to me

change of meaning as "just as" means exactly same, while "similar" is not exactly same

like cannot be used for comparing actions

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Please Kudo me if my post helped.

My GMAT debrief

greatness is not about possessing talent but about having the discipline to summon that talent whenever needed!!!

Please Kudos my post if it helped you!!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 186

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 05:17

A. just as it had once been among the Russian aristocracy -- repetition of verb spoken is elided in second half -- sentence is in passive -- looks ok

B. just like it once had been among the Russian aristocracy -- we can not place a clause after like

C. just as the Russian aristocracy had once done -- sentence is in active voice but main clause in passive voice.

D. similar to what the Russian aristocracy had done once -- active voice -- bad sentence.

E. like what had once been done by the Russian aristocracy -- we can not place clause after like

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: In many upper class Egyptian homes, French was spoken within   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2014, 05:17