Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In MGMAT, Chap 4, it mentioned that two sides of a linking

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

In MGMAT, Chap 4, it mentioned that two sides of a linking [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 20:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In MGMAT, Chap 4, it mentioned that two sides of a linking verb (is, was etc) should be parallel.

i.e. The charity work is a doing of good deed. Wrong because charity (noun) is not parallel to a doing (participle).
Instead, it should be The charity work is an act of good deed. charity (noun) is now parallel to an act (noun).

But what about this sentence "The boy is cute" Here we have a noun (the boy) and an adjective (cute) on two sides of the linking verb (is).

How do we know when a linking verb, such as "is" requires the use of parallelism (as in the case of the first example)?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 5

Re: Linking verb "is" and parallelism [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 01:38
This post received
KUDOS
Wwdrok1 wrote:
In MGMAT, Chap 4, it mentioned that two sides of a linking verb (is, was etc) should be parallel.

i.e. The charity work is a doing of good deed. Wrong because charity (noun) is not parallel to a doing (participle).
Instead, it should be The charity work is an act of good deed. charity (noun) is now parallel to an act (noun).

But what about this sentence "The boy is cute" Here we have a noun (the boy) and an adjective (cute) on two sides of the linking verb (is).

How do we know when a linking verb, such as "is" requires the use of parallelism (as in the case of the first example)?

MGAMT doesn't say that these verbs are always use as a linking verb or both the sides of it needs to be parallel always. One can check depending upon the type of the statement is there and what its meaning corresponds to.
I hope this will clarify your doubt.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 241

Re: In MGMAT, Chap 4, it mentioned that two sides of a linking [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 20:15
Wwdrok1 wrote:

In 2nd example, "Cute" is a Noun but in this case is working as a Adjective, and thus both sides are parallel.

As far as your 2nd query is concerned, Whenever helping verb is used as Linking verb, both sides must be logically parallel.
Brush up Linking verbs concepts in detail.

Hope it helps

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Re: In MGMAT, Chap 4, it mentioned that two sides of a linking   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2013, 20:15