Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Millington, a city of 50,000 people, Mercedes Pedrosa, a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In Millington, a city of 50,000 people, Mercedes Pedrosa, a [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 05:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:20) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 15 sessions
In Millington, a city of 50,000 people, Mercedes Pedrosa, a realtor, calculated that a family with Millington’s median family income, $28,000 a year, could afford to buy Millington’s median-priced $77,000 house. This calculation was based on an 11.2 percent mortgage interest rate and on the realtor’s assumption that a family could only afford to pay up to 25 percent of its income for housing.

Which of the following corrections of a figure appearing in the passage above, if it were the only correction that needed to be made, would yield a new calculation showing that even incomes below the median family income would enable families in Millington to afford Millington’s median-priced house?

(A) Millington’s total population was 45,000 people.
(B) Millington’s median annual family income was $27,000.
(C) Millington’s median-priced house cost $80,000.
(D) The rate at which people in Millington had to pay mortgage interest was only 10 percent.
(E) Families in Millington could only afford to pay up to 22 percent of their annual income for housing.

Last edited by marcodonzelli on 13 Feb 2008, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1755 [1] , given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: cr - 1000 test I n.4 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
D

(A) Millington’s total population was 45,000 people. - it does not influence on the calculations.
(B) Millington’s median annual family income was $27,000. - the calculations is shifted to families with income above the median family one.
(C) Millington’s median-priced house cost $80,000. - the calculations is shifted to families with income above the median family one.
(D) The rate at which people in Millington had to pay mortgage interest was only 10 percent. - the best. The calculations is shifted to families with income below the median family one.
(E) Families in Millington could only afford to pay up to 22 percent of their annual income for housing. - the calculations is shifted to families with income above the median family one.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr - 1000 test I n.4 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 06:24
marcodonzelli wrote:
Which of the following corrections of a figure appearing in the passage above, if it were the only correction that needed to be made, would yield a new calculation showing that even incomes below the median family income would enable families in Millington to afford Millington’s median-priced house?

(A) Millington’s total population was 45,000 people.
(B) Millington’s median annual family income was $27,000.
(C) Millington’s median-priced house cost $80,000.
(D) The rate at which people in Millington had to pay mortgage interest was only 10 percent.
(E) Families in Millington could only afford to pay up to 22 percent of their annual income for housing.

You definitely are missing here the actual question. it seems an interesting set up. Could you please submit again?
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr - 1000 test I n.4 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 09:59
walker wrote:
D

(A) Millington’s total population was 45,000 people. - it does not influence on the calculations.
(B) Millington’s median annual family income was $27,000. - the calculations is shifted to families with income above the median family one.
(C) Millington’s median-priced house cost $80,000. - the calculations is shifted to families with income above the median family one.
(D) The rate at which people in Millington had to pay mortgage interest was only 10 percent. - the best. The calculations is shifted to families with income below the median family one.
(E) Families in Millington could only afford to pay up to 22 percent of their annual income for housing. - the calculations is shifted to families with income above the median family one.

yes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr - 1000 test I n.4 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 10:30
I think its D too, but the reason why I chose D is because rest of the options make the mortgage payments higher, keeping the same income and prices.
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr - 1000 test I n.4 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 10:46
I agree it's D.

Were looking for the answer that will either reduce the cost of housing or increase the amount that can be spent on housing.

A) Doesnt affect the calculation
B) Doesnt affect the calculation
C) Increases the cost of housing
D) Reduces the cost of housing
E) Reduces amount available to spend on housing
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr - 1000 test I n.4 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 20:01
I think its D as well. Since we want to account for individuals below the median, we have to find an answer that allows these families with less income to still afford the median house price. D does this by shifting the mortgage rates.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: cr - 1000 test I n.4 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 20:48
I am getting confused here.
Why wouldnt it be A?
Wouldnt changing the population size shift the median?

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: cr - 1000 test I n.4 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 02:55
D is correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 33

Re: cr - 1000 test I n.4 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 00:03
vscid wrote:
I am getting confused here.
Why wouldnt it be A?
Wouldnt changing the population size shift the median?

Indeed I was confused between a & d as well. And vscid is absolutely right in saying changing the population size will shift the median. However the catch is we will never know the median will shift in which direction. For example if the error on population counting was related to the people with lower income the median will move up and vice versa. But D gives definite results.
Re: cr - 1000 test I n.4   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2013, 00:03