Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [7] , given: 0

In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 17:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

(A) did its return in 1910–1911
(B) had its 1910–1911 return
(C) in its return of 1910–1911
(D) its return of 1910–1911 did
(E) its return in 1910–1911
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 04-05-2012

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Re: Halley's comet [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 19:23
I was just doing sentence correction in the OG 12 book earlier today and saw that you posted this question. Anyway, at first glance I would say that D (its return of 1910-1911 did) was indeed the correct answer. However, after further review, this is incorrect though. D here is implying that we are making a comparison between the comet and its return. The correct answer here is C based on OG answer explantion. Unlike answer D, choice C grammatically compares the correct parallel prepositional phases: in no other sighting and in its return in 1910-1911. Therefore C correctly compares the times the comet is sighted.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 692

Kudos [?]: 3058 [1] , given: 890

In no other historical sighting did Halley s Comet cause [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 22:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910–1911.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3058 [4] , given: 890

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Concept tested: Parallelism, Verb tenses, ellipses
Difficulty:750
Illustration: Lets take a look at elliptical construction before going for the solution.
Consider the following sentence:
In no other play did William Shakespeare cause such a spectacle as Hamlet.
This is ambiguous. there are two possible interpretations:
(1) ...as IN Hamlet (this is analogous to the intended meaning of the posted problem)
(2) ...as DID Hamlet (i.e., you're comparing the spectacle caused by Shakespeare to the spectacle caused by Hamlet himself).
So we need the “in” to clarify the intended meaning.
Now lets look at the options.
Only C coincides with the concept that is tested above.
C is the correct answer.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2627 [2] , given: 697

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 02:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sorry souvik but the sentence is underlined in a wrong manner. Of course is a a small error but changes the understanding of the same

In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation AS did its return in 1910–1911.

here we compare two times about halley's sight. The phrase begins with IN so the second part must beging with IN.

C is correct

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3058 [0], given: 890

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 02:50
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3058 [1] , given: 890

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley s Comet cause [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Concept tested: Parallelism, Verb tenses, ellipses
Difficulty:750
Illustration: Lets take a look at elliptical construction before going for the solution.
Consider the following sentence:
In no other play did William Shakespeare cause such a spectacle as Hamlet.
This is ambiguous. there are two possible interpretations:
(1) ...as IN Hamlet (this is analogous to the intended meaning of the posted problem)
(2) ...as DID Hamlet (i.e., you're comparing the spectacle caused by Shakespeare to the spectacle caused by Hamlet himself).
So we need the “in” to clarify the intended meaning.
Now lets look at the options.
Only C coincides with the concept that is tested above.
C is the correct answer.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 4

In no other historical sighting did Halley s Comet cause [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910–1911.

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 67

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley s Comet cause [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 14:25
carcass wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
difficult to understand Souvik can u explain each answer choice pls

what is the concept you didn't understant

I understand that the construction is elliptical type.

Finding it difficult to eliminate option basis on did and in.
i understand that in is a form of //rism hence its correct,

We need to compare the sensations that other sighting in the history brought to the sensation which the sighting of comet's brought in the year 1910 -1911.

Now understanding this when i go through the options.

(A) did its return in 1910–1911>>>>>Did stands for sensation, hence i feel that sensation after sighting in 1910 - 1911 is being compared >>>>>>>>>which is correct.
(B) had its 1910–1911 return....This is out, had is not correct when it comes along with a recent event in past ,comparisons of two past event
(D) its return of 1910–1911 did>>>>>can be rephrased as " its return of 1910 - 1911 caused", if the implied meaning of caused is sensation than can be considered right.......have doubt in it how to eliminate.
(E) its return in 1910–1911>>>>>this can be rephrased as "In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as hailey's comet (its) return in 1910 -1911">>>>> which is also correct as it compares the past historical sighting to the sighting in 1910 - 1911

pls help me with my above explanations.

Also pls help me with the use of "its" as possessive pronoun..... Is Worlwide sensation a noun, which i think it isnt, its an adverbial phrase.... Correct me if i am wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley s Comet cause [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 21:08
I think this very hard.

the problem is that the correct meaning is

in the first part, commet causes sensation

in the second part, commet causes sensation, not the "commet's return" cause the sensation

the distorted meaning is "commet's return" cause the sensation.

try to infer the intended meaning.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 99

In no other historical sighting did Halley s comet cause [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 01:49
This post received
KUDOS
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

A. did its return in 1910-1911

B. had its 1910-1911 return

C. in its return of 1910-1911

D. its return of 1910-1911 did

E. its return in 1910-1911

I am aware of the fact that this question has been discussed in various places but i have few doubts on this.
1.Here since as is being used some comparison is being made right?So can someone explain what comparison is made in this questions?
2.In various forums its mentioned as becoz of parallelism also the option C is chosen as right answer.Can someone help me in undertstanding these two doubts i have on this question..

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 258

Kudos [?]: 996 [5] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Need some clarity on this question [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 03:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
skamal7 wrote:
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

I am aware of the fact that this question has been discussed in various places but i have few doubts on this.
1.Here since as is being used some comparison is being made right?So can someone explain what comparison is made in this questions?
2.In various forums its mentioned as becoz of parallelism also the option C is chosen as right answer.Can someone help me in undertstanding these two doubts i have on this question..

Hi Skamal,

Yes you are right "as" is indicating a comparison. The comparison is between the events "In no other historical sighting" and "In its return in 1910 - 1911"

In the question the parallel structures will be the two prepositional phrases. I would say that the question is more a comparison question than a parallelism one.

Apart from (C) other options are comparing "its return" with " In no other historical sighting"

As the question has been discussed several times I'll try a different approach. Let us form a simple question on similar grounds.

In no other public occasion I felt estranged as did my own wedding with Julia.

(A) did my own wedding with Julia
(B) had my wedding with Julia
(C) in my own wedding with Julia
(D) my own wedding with Julia did
(E) my own wedding with Julia

The above question contains a similar comparison and the answers have the same errors. What it does not contain is the middle part that the original sentence has which makes the two comparison elements far from each other. (C) clearly stands out as a winner.

In the above question the parallelism (if any) is between the two prepositional phrases - "In no other public occasion" and "in my own wedding with Julia". To sum up it is just a simple comparison question.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14, IMD '16

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 25

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 12:02
for ans E , OG says "This sentence violates parallelism, implying a comparison between a prepositional phrase and a noun phrase."

In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet
cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in
1910–1911.

I thnik did is implied in E (at the end ), so it becomes "in 1910-1911 did " which is a prepositional phrase.

can this concept be clarified?

thx

Your Kudos will motivate me :)

Expert Post
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 996 [0], given: 82

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 13:01
Expert's post
eski wrote:
for ans E , OG says "This sentence violates parallelism, implying a comparison between a prepositional phrase and a noun phrase."

In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet
cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in
1910–1911.

I thnik did is implied in E (at the end ), so it becomes "in 1910-1911 did " which is a prepositional phrase.

can this concept be clarified?

thx

Hi eski

Lets consider (E) and see what structures are being compared.

In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as its return in 1910-1911 did.

The bolded portions in the above sentence are being compared.

In no other historical sighting --> prepositional phrase

its return in 1910-1911 --> a noun phrase or actually just a noun "return"

Another correct form of the sentence could be,

In no other historical sightings did Halley's Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as it did when it returned in 1910-1911.

The above sentence correctly compares "Halley's Comet cause" with "as it did" (it stands for Halley's comet and did stands for caused.

As the question has been discussed several times I'll try a different approach. Let us form a simple question on similar grounds so that we can identify the structures used in the sentence.

In no other public occasion I felt estranged as did my own wedding with Julia.

By removing the unnecessary words that are meant to confuse the test taker we can understand the meaning better.

In (E) "In no other public occasion" is compared with "my own wedding with Julia"; even if we add a "did" at the end, the comparison will not be proper.

Quote:
I think did is implied in E (at the end ), so it becomes "in 1910-1911 did " which is a prepositional phrase.

"in 1910-1911" is a prepositional phrase but "in 1910-1911 did" isn't. There are two parts of a prepositional phrase

i) preposition ii) object of the preposition

there is no verb in a prepositional phrase. Putting "did" in (E) will make it a clause, so again the comparison will be incorrect (Prepositional phrase with clause)

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Intern
Intern

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 23:45
Hi Vercules

Lets take your example

Q. In no other public occasion I felt estranged as did my own wedding with Julia.

The whole statement , without omission is :
In no other public occasion I felt estranged as in my own wedding with Julia .

So comparision is between "on other public occasion" v/s "in my own wedding" both are preposition phase

Have I got the concept till this point?

if Yes, now if we take following statement:
In no other public occasion I felt estranged as own wedding with Julia .

is this a right construction , here 'in my' is omitted , is it implied?
if implied , then , as compares "on other public occasion" v/s "in my own wedding"
if no , then , as compares "on other public occasion" v/s "own wedding" -- which is wrong I guess .

-Eski

Intern
Intern

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 23:49
Hi Vercules

Lets take your example

Q. In no other public occasion I felt estranged as did my own wedding with Julia.

So comparision is between "no other public occasion" v/s "in my own wedding" both are preposition phase

if implied , then , as compares "on other public occasion" v/s "in my own wedding"
if no , then , as compares "on other public occasion" v/s "own wedding" -- which is wrong I guess .

-Eski

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 996 [1] , given: 82

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi eski,

Please see my comments in blue.

Quote:
So comparision is between "no other public occasion" v/s "in my own wedding" both are preposition phase

No, the comparison is between "In no other public occasion" with "in my own wedding"

Quote:

No, "in my" is not implied. When we omit a word or few then the meaning of the sentence does not change even after omitting. But in this case if you omit "in my" then the comparison becomes incorrect.

Quote:

Again the comparison is between "In no other public occasion" and "in my own wedding"

Quote:

Yes, but as compares "In no other public occasion" with "own wedding", this comparison is clearly incorrect.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley s comet cause [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 09:01
Expert's post
The comet caused some sensation in 1910-1911. This sensation is compared to a similar sensation in any other such event If you have to elaborate it, then you have to say that in no other historical event, did Halley’s comet caused such a great sensation as it did in its return in the cited year. Here the phrase ‘it did ‘is elliptic and understood.
The parallelism part arises in the use of the preposition - in – in both arms of the comparison; Only C does it.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 75

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley s comet cause [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 02:00

Parallelism: ...In no other....as in its return..... Therefore, C.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 99

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley s comet cause [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 07:13
As per my understanding on the usage of "AS" it compares two clauses right? If that is the case then this sentence should copare two clauses right? but am not able to see the clause in the second part of "as" comparison becoz it has no main verb ..

can someone clarify this to me...

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 20:10
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please read and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Re: In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such   [#permalink] 07 May 2013, 20:10