Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [7] , given: 0

In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 17:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:35) correct 63% (00:52) wrong based on 1280 sessions
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

(A) did its return in 1910–1911
(B) had its 1910–1911 return
(C) in its return of 1910–1911
(D) its return of 1910–1911 did
(E) its return in 1910–1911
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
7 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 108 [7] , given: 2

Re: SC - Hally's comet [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2008, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
gamjatang wrote:
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

A. did its return in 1910-1911

B. had its 1910-1911 return

C. in its return of 1910-1911

D. its return of 1910-1911 did

E. its return in 1910-1911

Lets bring Obama into the picture instead of Hally, the comet for a moment :-D

Rephrase with C - In no other election did Obama cause such a sensation as (he did) in his presidential race of 2008. (We can omit 'he did' and still convey the same meaning)
Sensation caused by Obama in all the previous elections is compared with sensation caused by Obama in presidential race.)
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as (it did) in its return of 1910-1911

Rephrase with A - In no other election did Obama cause such a sensation as did his presidential race of 2008. ( Incorrect comparison. Sensation caused by Obama in all the previous elections is compared incorrectly with sensation caused by presidential election. But we should compare sensations caused by Obama in both the cases.)
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as (did its return in 1910-1911)

B - no need to discuss. Had is not necessary. Changes the meaning.

Rephrase with D - In no other election did Obama cause such a sensation as his presidential race of 2008 did. (again sensation by Obama is compared with sensation caused by presidential election. Same problem as A.
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as (its return of 1910-1911 did )

Rephrase with E - In no other election did Obama cause such a sensation as his presidential race of 2008. ( Here sentence ends abruptly. Here sensation caused by Obama is compared with presidential race itself.
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as its return in 1910-1911

Ofcourse we all can come up with explanations once we know OA. :wink:
Nice One. +1 to the poster.
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 258

Kudos [?]: 995 [5] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Need some clarity on this question [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 03:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
skamal7 wrote:
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

I am aware of the fact that this question has been discussed in various places but i have few doubts on this.
1.Here since as is being used some comparison is being made right?So can someone explain what comparison is made in this questions?
2.In various forums its mentioned as becoz of parallelism also the option C is chosen as right answer.Can someone help me in undertstanding these two doubts i have on this question..

Hi Skamal,

Yes you are right "as" is indicating a comparison. The comparison is between the events "In no other historical sighting" and "In its return in 1910 - 1911"

In the question the parallel structures will be the two prepositional phrases. I would say that the question is more a comparison question than a parallelism one.

Apart from (C) other options are comparing "its return" with " In no other historical sighting"

As the question has been discussed several times I'll try a different approach. Let us form a simple question on similar grounds.

In no other public occasion I felt estranged as did my own wedding with Julia.

(A) did my own wedding with Julia
(B) had my wedding with Julia
(C) in my own wedding with Julia
(D) my own wedding with Julia did
(E) my own wedding with Julia

The above question contains a similar comparison and the answers have the same errors. What it does not contain is the middle part that the original sentence has which makes the two comparison elements far from each other. (C) clearly stands out as a winner.

In the above question the parallelism (if any) is between the two prepositional phrases - "In no other public occasion" and "in my own wedding with Julia". To sum up it is just a simple comparison question.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [4] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 00:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I would choose C here because of parallelism in.. in
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 692

Kudos [?]: 3056 [4] , given: 890

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Concept tested: Parallelism, Verb tenses, ellipses
Difficulty:750
Illustration: Lets take a look at elliptical construction before going for the solution.
Consider the following sentence:
In no other play did William Shakespeare cause such a spectacle as Hamlet.
This is ambiguous. there are two possible interpretations:
(1) ...as IN Hamlet (this is analogous to the intended meaning of the posted problem)
(2) ...as DID Hamlet (i.e., you're comparing the spectacle caused by Shakespeare to the spectacle caused by Hamlet himself).
So we need the “in” to clarify the intended meaning.
Now lets look at the options.
Only C coincides with the concept that is tested above.
C is the correct answer.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 34 [2] , given: 0

In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2005, 07:23
This post received
KUDOS

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
A for ||ism.

Cant be C and D. "return of" illogically suggests the return of 1910, rather than of the commet.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2625 [2] , given: 697

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 02:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sorry souvik but the sentence is underlined in a wrong manner. Of course is a a small error but changes the understanding of the same

In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation AS did its return in 1910–1911.

here we compare two times about halley's sight. The phrase begins with IN so the second part must beging with IN.

C is correct

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 288 [1] , given: 20

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley's................ [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
this is an elliptical construction .. constructions in which certain words are omitted .. the omitted words are implied within the clause itself

In no other historical sighting did Halley's Comet cause such a worldwide sensation AS [it did] in its return of 1910-1911

AS introduces comparison .... 'in no other historical sighting' can be logically compared to 'in its return'

C is correct

Hallye's Comet is the subject

Halley's Comet did not cause such a worldwide sensation in any other historical sighting as [it did] in its return in 1910-1911

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 388 [1] , given: 0

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley's................ [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 00:52
This post received
KUDOS
papillon86 wrote:
In no other historical sighting did Halley's Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

(A) did its return in 1910-1911
(B) had its 1910-1911 return
(C) in its return of 1910-1911
(D) its return of 1910-1911 did
(E) its return in 1910-1911

Please explain your answers.
Some questions:

a) What is the subject of the sentence?
b) What are we comparing?
c) if we change the construction by rephrasing the sentence with the subject coming first, what would be the correct sentence?

Thanks
papillon86 wrote:
Hmmm....have a confusion

Lets assume we omit the parts which are not required...but we don't have to necesarily

SO if there were an option that said
"as it did in 1910-1911 return" would it be your first choice rather than "as in its return in 1910-1911" ?

Thanks

Hi papillon86,

Almost, only you can't add "return" at the end once you already have 'did' in the sentence. So another correct option would be: "In no other sighting did the comet create such a sensation as it did (i.e. created) in 1910-1911."

Let me know if that's still confusing.

Best,
Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 388 [1] , given: 0

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley's................ [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hi tgtharvard,

There is no typo-- the parallel prepositional phrases are "in no other period" and "in its return". How the return is described is flexible. The "return of 1910" and the return "1910" are both correct, but have slightly different connotations. Similarly, you can say, "the war of 1911" and "the war in 1911;" the first is just more defining than describing.

Best,
Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3056 [1] , given: 890

In no other historical sighting did Halley s Comet cause [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 22:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910–1911.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3056 [1] , given: 890

Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley s Comet cause [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Concept tested: Parallelism, Verb tenses, ellipses
Difficulty:750
Illustration: Lets take a look at elliptical construction before going for the solution.
Consider the following sentence:
In no other play did William Shakespeare cause such a spectacle as Hamlet.
This is ambiguous. there are two possible interpretations:
(1) ...as IN Hamlet (this is analogous to the intended meaning of the posted problem)
(2) ...as DID Hamlet (i.e., you're comparing the spectacle caused by Shakespeare to the spectacle caused by Hamlet himself).
So we need the “in” to clarify the intended meaning.
Now lets look at the options.
Only C coincides with the concept that is tested above.
C is the correct answer.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 4

In no other historical sighting did Halley s Comet cause [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910–1911.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 99

In no other historical sighting did Halley s comet cause [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 01:49
This post received
KUDOS

I am aware of the fact that this question has been discussed in various places but i have few doubts on this.
1.Here since as is being used some comparison is being made right?So can someone explain what comparison is made in this questions?
2.In various forums its mentioned as becoz of parallelism also the option C is chosen as right answer.Can someone help me in undertstanding these two doubts i have on this question..

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 258

Kudos [?]: 995 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi eski,

Please see my comments in blue.

Q. In no other public occasion I felt estranged as did my own wedding with Julia.

(A) did my own wedding with Julia
(B) had my wedding with Julia
(C) in my own wedding with Julia
(D) my own wedding with Julia did
(E) my own wedding with Julia

The whole statement , without omission is :
In no other public occasion I felt estranged as in my own wedding with Julia .

Quote:
So comparision is between "no other public occasion" v/s "in my own wedding" both are preposition phase

No, the comparison is between "In no other public occasion" with "in my own wedding"

Quote:
Have I got the concept till this point?

if Yes, now if we take following statement:
In no other public occasion I felt estranged as own wedding with Julia .

is this a right construction , here 'in my' is omitted , is it implied?

No, "in my" is not implied. When we omit a word or few then the meaning of the sentence does not change even after omitting. But in this case if you omit "in my" then the comparison becomes incorrect.

Quote:
if implied , then , as compares "on other public occasion" v/s "in my own wedding"

Again the comparison is between "In no other public occasion" and "in my own wedding"

Quote:
if no , then , as compares "on other public occasion" v/s "own wedding" -- which is wrong I guess .

Yes, but as compares "In no other public occasion" with "own wedding", this comparison is clearly incorrect.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-31-2014
GPA: 2.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 77

CAT Tests
Re: In no other historical sighting did Halleys comet cause such [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2014, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s Comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

(A) did its return in 1910–1911 - The comparison is made between Halley's Comet and its return
(B) had its 1910–1911 return - Incorrect sentence structure
(C) in its return of 1910–1911 - Correct parallelism maintained between the historical sighting and the return
(D) its return of 1910–1911 did - Incorrect Parallelism
(E) its return in 1910–1911 - Incorrect Parallelism

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Halley's comet [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 19:30
cover_52 wrote:

My answer is D.

@_@ any ideas?

It is a bit confusing ..but the key to realize is that we need to maintain parallel construction
...did Halley’s comet ....as did its...
which is only in A
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 19:42
'A' is good. Only 'A' maintains the llism.

'D' does not fit in llism, just fit back 'A' & 'D' in original sentence & read.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 03:47
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did sighting its return in 1910-1911.

just replace did with sighting, it will sound much beter. so A is the right answer.

hey ya......

[#permalink] 27 Nov 2005, 03:47