Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 07:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
142. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

A. demanding that it should
B. demanding it to
C. and their demand to
D. who demanded that it
E. who demanded it to

I'm finding a trend in my errors and I need help with pronoun agreement and pronoun case. What is the subject of this question? The object? Is there a trick to determining this?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: #142 from OG 10th Edition [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 09:44
Hi,

I would go for E. It use 'who' correctly and it also references coca-cola.

Regards,
Max
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: #142 from OG 10th Edition [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 12:15
raconteur wrote:
142. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

B. demanding it to
C. and their demand to
D. who demanded that it
E. who demanded it to

I'm finding a trend in my errors and I need help with pronoun agreement and pronoun case. What is the subject of this question? The object? Is there a trick to determining this?

E.
Subject = the Coca-Cola company
Verb = yielded
Objet = thousands of irate consumers

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: #142 from OG 10th Edition [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 12:38
raconteur wrote:

B. demanding it to
C. and their demand to
D. who demanded that it
E. who demanded it to

I believe it should be D.

I think this is subjuctive mood.
demanded + that + it + bring (infinitive form)

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: #142 from OG 10th Edition [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 16:37
I think D is more parallel because the Coca-Cola company YIELDED to the irate consumers. therefore, the customers demanded it (coca-cola itself) to bring back..., not demanded THAT it bring back.... because the customers would simply demand that it should be brought back, not necessarily demand the company to bring it back. As for subjunctive moods, I'm not sure if everyone here spoke English originally, but I'm 99% sure that in english we only change the tense of the verb if the mood is subjunctive (such as "if I were you" instead of "if I was you"), only following prepositions like if.

not sure what you meant tho, so is this setup what you are talking about in reference to the mood?
I demand you to give me back my.... (indicative - straightforward)
I demand that you give me back... (subjunctive - not as straightforward)

I do know that in spanish the second phrase is changed into subjunctive tense (which is a lot more obvious of a change than in english).

could you clarify x2suresh?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: #142 from OG 10th Edition [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 04:44
OA is D.

You are correct that this is a subjunctive mood (demand THAT, request THAT, etc.). My fault was thinking that "consumers" was the object in the sentence and therefore required the object pronoun "whom". Does anyone have a useful trick for determining the Subject/Object in a sentence? Any good way to determine whether to use "who" versus "whom"?? Here's another example of matching the correct pronoun form with the corresponding antecedent (OA below):

OG 10, #194. Presenters at the seminar, one who is blind, will demonstrate adaptive equipment that allows visually impaired people to use computers.

A. one who
B. one of them who
C. and one of them who
D. one of whom
E. one of which

OA is D

In this example "one" is the object. So it requires the object form pronoun of "who" which is "whom". I ended up getting this one right but didn't know whether to match "who" with "presenters" (which is the subject) or "one" (which is the object). Ugh!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: #142 from OG 10th Edition [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 06:45
raconteur wrote:
OA is D.

You are correct that this is a subjunctive mood (demand THAT, request THAT, etc.). My fault was thinking that "consumers" was the object in the sentence and therefore required the object pronoun "whom". Does anyone have a useful trick for determining the Subject/Object in a sentence? Any good way to determine whether to use "who" versus "whom"?? Here's another example of matching the correct pronoun form with the corresponding antecedent (OA below):

OG 10, #194. Presenters at the seminar, one who is blind, will demonstrate adaptive equipment that allows visually impaired people to use computers.

A. one who
B. one of them who
C. and one of them who
D. one of whom
E. one of which

OA is D

In this example "one" is the object. So it requires the object form pronoun of "who" which is "whom". I ended up getting this one right but didn't know whether to match "who" with "presenters" (which is the subject) or "one" (which is the object). Ugh!
Why "One" is OBJECT ?? Can you explain in details.

This is how I eliminated other options and chose option D.

A. one who
Presenters, one who is blind --> not make sense.. Presenters -- plural, one who --> singular.
Presenter, one who is blind ---> would have been correct.

B. one of them who
Presenters, one of them who is blind --> its little ambigous.. who refers to one of them, or them...
Presenters, one of them is blind --> looks ok for me.
C. and one of them who
D. one of whom
Presenters, one of whom is blind
one is subject .. is.. verb
whom is object of preposition "of" so we need "objective form of who"

E. one of which

Comments welcome

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: #142 from OG 10th Edition [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 09:42
x2suresh wrote:
raconteur wrote:
OA is D.

A. one who
B. one of them who
C. and one of them who
D. one of whom
E. one of which

OA is D

Why "One" is OBJECT ?? Can you explain in details.

This is how I eliminated other options and chose option D.

A. one who
Presenters, one who is blind --> not make sense.. Presenters -- plural, one who --> singular.
Presenter, one who is blind ---> would have been correct.

B. one of them who
Presenters, one of them who is blind --> its little ambigous.. who refers to one of them, or them...
Presenters, one of them is blind --> looks ok for me.
C. and one of them who
D. one of whom
Presenters, one of whom is blind
one is subject .. is.. verb
whom is object of preposition "of" so we need "objective form of who"

E. one of which

Comments welcome

The reason "one" is the object is because the pronoun "whom" is in the object form. This is a question of Pronoun Case. In this example "one of" is the object. Therefore it must use "whom" rather than "who". "Who", in regards to Pronoun Case, is the subject form so can only refer back to a subject antecedent, which in this case is "presenters".

I find myself making mistakes on this whole WHO versus WHOM thing. It ultimately comes down to me not fully knowing what is the subject and what is the object of a sentence. :(
Re: SC: #142 from OG 10th Edition   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2008, 09:42