Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 142 [1] , given: 92

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (03:14) correct 46% (00:51) wrong based on 182 sessions
Hi everyone.
Can you please help me to find the reason why oa is better.
394. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(A) demanding that it should
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

Last edited by pqhai on 11 Aug 2013, 22:58, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Renamed - Please use the first sentence of the question to name the topic
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: 394 from 1000 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 19:01
First demanded is the right form bc of the tense of the sentence.
Second, demand+that is followed by subjunctive (base verb)
that is why this fits
D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: 394 from 1000 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 01:19
well, (d) is preferred to (e) because the idiomatic usage in (e) is simply wrong:one cannot 'demand X to do Y'.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 394 from 1000 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 10:03
This post received
KUDOS
the idiom "demand someone to do something" is wrong? i think i saw such idiom before...i pick E. what's the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: 394 from 1000 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 11:02
I still doubt :

If we read sentence by substituting D:

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers who demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

IT refers to ????

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 281 [1] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: 394 from 1000 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
D and E are the same for me :s
Demand can be used in these two ways:
She demanded that I BUY her a diamond ring.
She demanded me TO BUY her a diamond ring.
(You must admit that these examples are funny, LOL).

IMO, D just sounds better.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: 394 from 1000 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 10:23
The SC is an uses of Subjunctive-The subjunctive is a special kind of present tense, using an infinitive that has no –s in the third person singular. It is often used when talking about something that somebody must do.

The subjunctive verbs are: like advice, condition, demand, directive, intention, order, proposal, recommendation, request, suggestion, wish.

Subjunctive verb requires that.
Thus correct answer is D.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: 394 from 1000 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 19:10
+1 for D.

It was a fairly simple problem, but the choices made it a tricky one :).

Crick
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 31

Re: 394 from 1000 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 21:59
Experts how would you rate the difficulty of this question ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 08:11
Ayrish wrote:
Hi everyone.
394. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

Hi,

It might be a very stupid question but can anyone please tell me how the OA is D..cause if we rewrite the sentence it would be like this -"In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." now the thing is that if we are using 'It' here then it should be 'brings' not 'bring' or some other tense has to be used or am I missing something here?
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 566 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 08:22
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:

Hi,

It might be a very stupid question but can anyone please tell me how the OA is D..cause if we rewrite the sentence it would be like this -"In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." now the thing is that if we are using 'It' here then it should be 'brings' not 'bring' or some other tense has to be used or am I missing something here?

hi,

Verbs such as can, could,should, will, would, may, might are modal auxiliary verbs. Most modals are followed by the simple form of the verb (without "to")

example: i can do this///he can do this///they can do this.
i may not go///he may not go////they may not go.
i will do this///he will do this///they will do this.
i should do this///he should do this///they should do this.

hope its clear.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 66

Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 09:33
Expert's post
The OA is D, and it must be by process of elimination, but I agree that the pronoun still makes the choice unappealing. Luckily the only singular noun before "it" is "Coca-Cola company", so there can't be much confusion as to the antecedent of the pronoun "it".

If there's still any doubt, you can't demand someone to do something. You can demand that they do something, or ask them to do something, but not demand to. (Baten80 talked about this in his post). It just doesn't work in English, so you can consider it an idiom and eliminate answer choices B, C and E.

As for difficulty level, I'd say somewhere around the 600 level mark. None of the answer choices are perfect, but D doesn't have any obvious grammatical flaws, so you can use process of elimination to end up with D. I can see why other answer choices are tempting as well.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 19:24
blueseas wrote:
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:

Hi,

hi,

Verbs such as can, could,should, will, would, may, might are modal auxiliary verbs. Most modals are followed by the simple form of the verb (without "to")

example: i can do this///he can do this///they can do this.
i may not go///he may not go////they may not go.
i will do this///he will do this///they will do this.
i should do this///he should do this///they should do this.

hope its clear.

hi blueseas,

well I am aware of Modal auxiliary verbs and I know that we don't need a "s" there..but the thing is that I don't find any modal verb in the correct sentence..if we put D in the place of the underlined words and then re-write the sentence then it would be "In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." I cant find any modal verb here..(the option D only states this 'who demanded that it' and the underline words were "demanding that it should")..
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 566 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 19:43
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:

hi blueseas,

well I am aware of Modal auxiliary verbs and I know that we don't need a "s" there..but the thing is that I don't find any modal verb in the correct sentence..if we put D in the place of the underlined words and then re-write the sentence then it would be "In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." I cant find any modal verb here..(the option D only states this 'who demanded that it' and the underline words were "demanding that it should")..

hi reetabatra ,

thanks for pointing out.
seems i overlooked your post :-D

more to say. you must be aware of subjucnctive cases.

There is also a list of adjectives after which you should use that and follow them by a simple verb form:
advised necessary recommended urgent
important obligatory required imperative
mandatory proposed suggested DEMAND

so here because of demanded THAT ...WE NEED a simplest form of verb(bring).

hope its clear

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 2

Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 00:28
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:
if we are using 'It' here then it should be 'brings' not 'bring' or some other tense has to be used or am I missing something here?

As another poster has pointed out, this uses, what is called, the "subjunctive". You can search on the net and find a lot of relevant info on this. Few official examples test you on this. Example, # 54 in OG-13 (there are others as well; can dig it up):

The report recommended that the hospital eliminate unneeded beds, consolidate expensive services, and use space in other hospitals

...that hospital eliminate.... is a subjunctive structure.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 20:05
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it - The only command subjunctive available :D
(E) who demanded it to
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Reviews Badge
Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 20:50
Hello:

I'm not an active member but if you guys would help me in clarifying my doubts would be appreciated.

142. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to
thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

OA D.

My questions on the OA
I arrived at the correct answer,but could not entirely discard E. I've read that when used as a verb "to demand" must be followed by "that." But how about demand X to do ?
Require X to do Y?

Thanks in advance
Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2013, 20:50