Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 20

In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 09:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:47) correct 40% (00:55) wrong based on 174 sessions
In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of Wardsville, the lumber company in the summer of 1994 responded to hundreds of angry residents requiring that it should pay restitution for selling faulty boards.

A requiring that it should
B requiring it to
C and their requirement to
D who required it to
E who required for it to
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fameatop on 21 Sep 2013, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
OA added
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-30-2012
GPA: 3.08
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 11:26
I feel B
but i fear they will be a case of either subjunctive mood or idiomatic usage involved.
Any expert help ?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 20:12
mandyrhtdm wrote:
I feel B
but i fear they will be a case of either subjunctive mood or idiomatic usage involved.
Any expert help ?

The problem totally about idiom. Choice D is better than B, which set the verb require into "requiring" that makes more than one meaning in term of tense.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 1445 [0], given: 245

Re: The lumber company in the summer of 1994 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 21:24
Expert's post
In B, the modifier – requiring ……. - is an adverbial present participial phrase, just modifying the preceding noun -residents-; Actually the adverbial should be used only when you want to modify a verb or the entire preceding clause and in such cases, we should set it off with commas. On the contrary, when you want to pinpoint a noun very restrictively, then we should use a restrictive pronouns such as - who or that - in order to punch the nail straight on the noun. That is the reason that D is superior in terms of usage

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-13-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: The lumber company in the summer of 1994 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 21:41
Hi,

In answer D 'Who' refers to the Angry Residents.... Angry residents in the clause is the object.....so should it not be Whom rather than Who?

Regards
Ankit Bansal
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1192

Kudos [?]: 3188 [1] , given: 179

Re: The lumber company in the summer of 1994 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ankitbansal85 wrote:
Hi,

In answer D 'Who' refers to the Angry Residents.... Angry residents in the clause is the object.....so should it not be Whom rather than Who?

Regards
Ankit Bansal

Hi Ankit,

The action “required” is done by “hundreds of local residents”. They are the ones “who” did the action of requiring something. Therefore, use of “who” is correct in Choice D.

Now take a look at this sentence:

In the mall, I ran into Joe whom I met after three years.

In this sentence, “who” did the action of meeting? “I” did. But “whom” did I meet? I met Joe.

Notice that the subject of the “who” clause in the original sentence is “hundreds of angry residents”, the performer of the action. In the simple example sentence, “Joe” is the object of the main clause while both the actions are performed by "I". That is why he is referred to by “whom”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: The lumber company in the summer of 1994 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 20:33
I wish more experts comment on the difference between B and D.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: The lumber company in the summer of 1994 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
above quetion is not good. it maybe repeat the following

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

A) demanding that it should
B )demanding it to
C )and their demand to
D )who demanded that it
E) who demanded it to

this is from og10 which is NOT recommended because gmat now focus on meaning not focus on only idioms.

oa is D because "demand" require "that+clause".

the origianal posting is not good. "require" can be used in the pattern "require that +clause" or "require somebody to do something" /

this mean both B and D are correct. I do not study this question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 09:19
than. I also have the same view. What is wrong with B. Am I missing something here??
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 27

Re: In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 11:12
This post received
KUDOS
Daagh has neatly shared his pointers and Guess we all second him. Will just add my friendly dimes :

Let's draw an analogy :

B : Daagh responded to Thang......... Requesting him to clear the maze

D : Daagh responded to Thang.......... Who requested him to clear the maze

which one would u zone in on ?

Guess D : as it clearly indicates ------ Thang had some problem with the Q ---- Thang requested Daagh to clear the maze -------- And Daagh responded to Thang : The logical flow stays intact

C : Does it at all sound correct ( apart from the fact that +ing modifier Requiring incorrectly modifies the closest noun Residents whereas it should be preceeded by a comma and should be aptly modifying the preceeding clause )
Manager
Manager
Schools: NTU '16 (A)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

Re: In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 10:21
Requiring is the present participle form. So, it should modify the preceding noun i.e residents. So there is no modifier error.

Why must we eliminate B ?
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 543

In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of Wa [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 00:06
In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of Wardsville, the lumber company in the summer of 1994 responded to hundreds of angry residents requiring that it should pay restitution for selling faulty boards.

B requiring it to
D who required it to
E who required for it to

What is the referrent for "it"

Grockit

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Last edited by Zarrolou on 09 May 2013, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 335 [1] , given: 299

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of Wa [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 02:17
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:

B requiring it to
D who required it to
E who required for it to

What is the referrent for "it"

Grockit

I believe "it" can refer only to the lumber company as the "hundreds of angry residents" is plural

On the hindsight, i think that "required" can only be used because it is and action which preceeded responded so has to be in the past tense.
Hence the option A B C are ruled out, leaving us with D and E and of the two, D is more appropriate.

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 03:14
12bhang wrote:
Requiring is the present participle form. So, it should modify the preceding noun i.e residents. So there is no modifier error.

Why must we eliminate B ?

As a poster has noted above, this seems to be rip-off from an older OG question. However, in the process, the creator of this question curiously changed the correct option D. In the original sentence, it was: who demanded that it (this is a subjunctive construction), while in this question option D is: who required it to (this is a non-subjunctive construction).

Now, require is a funny word. It can take both: subjunctive and non-subjunctive format. But here is the funnier thing. Just because require can take both: subjunctive and non-subjunctive, does not mean that both of these would be correct in any given situation. Let’s look at a couple of correct sentences to understand this further:

1. A plural subject requires a plural verb for a correct sentence.
2. Residents required that the lumber company pay restitution for selling faulty boards.

#1 above is non-subjunctive while #2 is subjunctive. Let us now change # 2 to:

3. Residents required the lumber company to pay restitution for selling faulty boards.

If you look at this closely, this sentence is not optimal, because an illogical meaning that can be interpreted from this is that residents wanted to pay restitution for selling faulty boards, and for this, the residents required the lumber company!! (Think about it this way: Residents required money to pay restitution for selling faulty boards; now just substitute money with the lumber company).

So, in short, the correct sentence is #2 (and not #3), because there is an ambiguity in meaning in #3. At least if there is an option that does have the structure mentioned in #2, it would be preferable.

In this case, while option D in the OG question had a choice similar to #2, this question under consideration changes option D.

This, by the way, also underscores a similar problem in option B of the sentence under consideration (residents did not require the lumber company as B suggests; residents required something from the lumber company).

In fact, test takers would be advised to understand this concept well, since this will become increasingly important, given GMAT’s recent thrust on meaning related questions.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '16
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V35

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of Wa [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 08:06

a) requiring that it should
B) requiring it to
C) and their requirement to
D) who required it to
E) who required for it to

Source : Grockit

Last edited by carcass on 25 Mar 2014, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the title of the question
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Wardsville lumber company|sentence correction [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 08:53

a) requiring that it should
B) requiring it to
C) and their requirement to
D) who required it to
E) who required for it to

i will go with D .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wardsville lumber company|sentence correction [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 11:09
+1 D.

makes sense for me at least

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 165 [1] , given: 141

Re: Wardsville lumber company|sentence correction [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
already discussed.
in-one-of-the-most-surprising-decisions-in-the-history-of-135572.html

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Expert Post
Followers: 244

Kudos [?]: 2079 [0], given: 677

Re: In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of Wa [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 11:38
Expert's post
Re: In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of Wa   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2014, 11:38