Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1554 [259]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools:Chicago b.
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [44]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [23]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [16]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Ayrish wrote:
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

(A) demanding that it should
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the Coca-Cola company yielded to thousands of irate consumers who demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

Concepts tested here: Subjunctive Mood + Meaning + Idioms + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• The use of the verb “demanded” indicates that the subjunctive mood is preferable in this context.
• “bossy verb (“demanded”) + that + basic form of the verb” is a correct subjunctive mood usage.
• "demand + that" is the correct idiomatic construction for referring to the nature of the demand made and "demand + infinitive verb form" is the correct idiomatic construction for referring to the purpose of making a demand.

A: This answer choice fails to maintain a correct subjunctive mood usage, as it utilizes the verb phrase “should bring” rather than the base form verb “bring” to refer to an action that was demanded of “the Coca-Cola Company”; remember, the use of the verb “demanded” indicates that the subjunctive mood is preferable in this context and “bossy verb ("demanding") + that + the basic form of verb” is a correct, subjunctive usage. Further, Option A redundantly uses the word "should" alongside the bossy verb "demanding", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "demanding + infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + bring" in this sentence)" to refer to the nature of the demand; please remember, "demand + that" is the correct idiomatic construction for referring to the nature of the demand made and "demand + infinitive verb form" is the correct idiomatic construction for referring to the purpose of making a demand.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "and their demand to"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the Coca-Cola company yielded to both thousands of irate consumers and the customers' demand bring back the original Coke formula; the intended meaning is that the Coca-Cola company yielded to thousands of irate consumers who demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

D: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "who demanded that", conveying the intended meaning - that the Coca-Cola company yielded to thousands of irate consumers who demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula. Further, Option D correctly uses the idiomatic construction "demanding + that" to refer to the nature of the demand made. Additionally, Option D maintains a correct subjunctive mood construction - “bossy verb ("demanding") + that + the basic form of verb ("bring" in this sentence)”. Besides, Option D is free of any awkwardness/redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "demanded + infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + bring" in this sentence)" to refer to the nature of the demand; please remember, "demand + that" is the correct idiomatic construction for referring to the nature of the demand made and "demand + infinitive verb form" is the correct idiomatic construction for referring to the purpose of making a demand.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of the "3 Key Subjunctive Mood Structures" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the [#permalink]
Kudos
the idiom "demand someone to do something" is wrong? i think i saw such idiom before...i pick E. what's the OA?
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [3]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
D and E are the same for me :s
Demand can be used in these two ways:
She demanded that I BUY her a diamond ring.
She demanded me TO BUY her a diamond ring.
(You must admit that these examples are funny, LOL).

IMO, D just sounds better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
Send PM
Kudos
Ayrish wrote:
Hi everyone.
Can you please help me to find the reason why oa is better.
394. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

Hi,

It might be a very stupid question but can anyone please tell me how the OA is D..cause if we rewrite the sentence it would be like this -"In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." now the thing is that if we are using 'It' here then it should be 'brings' not 'bring' or some other tense has to be used or am I missing something here?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [2]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:

Hi,

It might be a very stupid question but can anyone please tell me how the OA is D..cause if we rewrite the sentence it would be like this -"In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." now the thing is that if we are using 'It' here then it should be 'brings' not 'bring' or some other tense has to be used or am I missing something here?

hi,

Verbs such as can, could,should, will, would, may, might are modal auxiliary verbs. Most modals are followed by the simple form of the verb (without "to")

example: i can do this///he can do this///they can do this.
i may not go///he may not go////they may not go.
i will do this///he will do this///they will do this.
i should do this///he should do this///they should do this.

hope its clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
Send PM
Kudos
blueseas wrote:
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:

Hi,

hi,

Verbs such as can, could,should, will, would, may, might are modal auxiliary verbs. Most modals are followed by the simple form of the verb (without "to")

example: i can do this///he can do this///they can do this.
i may not go///he may not go////they may not go.
i will do this///he will do this///they will do this.
i should do this///he should do this///they should do this.

hope its clear.

hi blueseas,

well I am aware of Modal auxiliary verbs and I know that we don't need a "s" there..but the thing is that I don't find any modal verb in the correct sentence..if we put D in the place of the underlined words and then re-write the sentence then it would be "In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers 'who demanded that it' bring back the original Coke formula." I cant find any modal verb here..(the option D only states this 'who demanded that it' and the underline words were "demanding that it should")..
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Reetabrata Ghosh wrote:
if we are using 'It' here then it should be 'brings' not 'bring' or some other tense has to be used or am I missing something here?

As another poster has pointed out, this uses, what is called, the "subjunctive". You can search on the net and find a lot of relevant info on this. Few official examples test you on this. Example, # 54 in OG-13 (there are others as well; can dig it up):

The report recommended that the hospital eliminate unneeded beds, consolidate expensive services, and use space in other hospitals

...that hospital eliminate.... is a subjunctive structure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Kudos
D

A is an incorrect idiom
B - The way that the sentence is organized makes it seem like Coca Cola demanded the customers to bring back the original formula
C - Coca Cola yielded to a subset of customers, the customers who demanded. Coca Cola did not yield to both customers and the customer's demand.
D - Correct
E is an incorrect idiom
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Demand is subjunctive and must be followed by THAT.

there is no need to use SHOULD after demand.

D is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [2]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Human Resources (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Souvik,

Here is how I approached this one:

The first rule that came to my mind in the first read - to use "demanded THAT" remove usage of " Should.

Second - I cut out the extra words and went with D option as it makes most sense:

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing,the Coca-Cola companyin July 1985 yielded tothousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing,the Coca-Cola companyin July 1985 yielded tothousands of irate consumers who demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

Took about a minute to arrive at the correct solution.

souvik101990 wrote:
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [2]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:

in subjunctive mood we cannot use "should"

(B) demanding it to
after demanding we need "that"

(C) and their demand to
yielded to their demand?

(D) who demanded that it
correct

(E) who demanded it to
need that after demanded
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
btg9788 wrote:
Can you please help me to find the reason why oa is better.
394. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

Demanded that is in subjunctive mood, hence we have to drop the 's' for a singular verb
We should understand who is actually demanding (yielded kin do means to complete a demand) hence it does not make sense if the company is doing the demanding.
Hence A,B,C are out.
Subjunctive verb must be followed by "That" hence I went for 'D'

Experts please check if my line of reasoning is correct
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos