Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected for the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 323

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected for the [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 07:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:13) correct 45% (01:22) wrong based on 245 sessions
In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected for the next term, he must gain the support of both urban and rural populations of the country. The only way to ensure support from the rural population is to invest a significant proportion of Ronalia’s budget in developing the agricultural segment of the economy, but such an investment will cut deeply into the country’s budget and will retard the development of other industries, which will cause discontent among urban citizens.

Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the passage above?
(A)Investing a significant proportion of Ronalia’s budget in agriculture will ensure development of the agricultural segment of the Ronalian economy.
(B)As long as the current president is supported by the rural citizens of Ronalia, he is likely to be reelected for the next term.
(C)The president is more concerned with developing the agricultural sector of Ronalia than with being reelected.
(D)The current president of Ronalia is not likely to be reelected for a second term.
(E)Rural citizens constitute the majority of Ronalia’s population.

OA to follow
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by guerrero25 on 17 Apr 2013, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 07:26
D seems best
The current president of Ronalia is not likely to be reelected for a second term.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1190 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
The important info in the text are: he must gain the support of both urban and rural populations of the country.
The only way to ensure support from the rural population is to invest a significant proportion of Ronalia’s budget in developing the agricultural segment of the economy, but this will cause discontent among urban citizens.
So there in no way to get both supports at the same time.

(A)Investing a significant proportion of Ronalia’s budget in agriculture will ensure development of the agricultural segment of the Ronalian economy.
The passage states only that investments will affect development of other industries, doesn't say anything about the developement of the agricultural economy.
(B)As long as the current president is supported by the rural citizens of Ronalia, he is likely to be reelected for the next term.
We don't know how the population is composed. The text says however that he needs also the support of urban citizens.
(C)The president is more concerned with developing the agricultural sector of Ronalia than with being reelected.
Out of scope. We don't know anything about the president's deeds.
(D)The current president of Ronalia is not likely to be reelected for a second term.
IMO CORRECT
(E)Rural citizens constitute the majority of Ronalia’s population.
If he must gain the support of BOTH to be elected, then rural citizens equal the urban citizens (or there is no significant difference) .

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 198 [3] , given: 142

Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected for the next term, he must gain the support of both urban and rural populations of the country. The only way to ensure support from the rural population is to invest a significant proportion of Ronalia’s budget in developing the agricultural segment of the economy, but such an investment will cut deeply into the country’s budget and will retard the development of other industries, which will cause discontent among urban citizens.

(A)Investing a significant proportion of Ronalia’s budget in agriculture will ensure development of the agricultural segment of the Ronalian economy.: The passage says agricultural investment will ensure support from ruaral support, not that the investment would ensure development of agricultural segment.
(B)As long as the current president is supported by the rural citizens of Ronalia, he is likely to be reelected for the next term.: The passage mentions " he must gain the support of both urban and rural populations of the country"
(C)The president is more concerned with developing the agricultural sector of Ronalia than with being reelected. :The passage never mention what the president is concerned about. The passage just lists the options that the president has.
(D)The current president of Ronalia is not likely to be reelected for a second term. : Correct. As per the passage the only way to Win rural population will affect support from urban population. And the president must get support from both. Hence, it is likely that he wont be reelected.
(E)Rural citizens constitute the majority of Ronalia’s population. : Doesn't matter." he must gain the support of both urban and rural populations of the country"

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2599 [1] , given: 695

Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is an inference question because you have to find the conclusion based on the stimulus. Is not stregthen question

Quote:
Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the statements above?

seee the attachement. please. I simportant to understand clearly the stem, otherwise is impossible to pick th right answer.

regards
Attachments

CR question stem + tricky words.pdf [152.95 KiB]
Downloaded 194 times

To download please login or register as a user

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 09:10
when do people normally put OA in this forum?
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2599 [0], given: 695

Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 09:42
Expert's post
neha24 wrote:
when do people normally put OA in this forum?

sincerely speaking I dont understand, really, why is more simple to pick a 700 level question or do a combination problem and NOT to put the OA at the bottom of the question: it also is mandatory by forum's rules

Mah :?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2599 [1] , given: 695

Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The only possible answer is D.

If the president wants to be re-elected he must take the majority of the votes. E talks about rural population, so we could infer that this is the 51% of the entire population BUT we know from stimulus that he nedds BOTH votes: from urban and rural population. So E falls apart.
D must be the answer

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 323

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 10:59
Thank you all for the response . I got this one wrong but ,now i realize that it was a stupid mistake :(

OA is "D"
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 18

Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected for the [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 06:31
i seriously doubt this to be a 600-700 lvl . its quite easy to deduce ....
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 66

Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected for the [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 06:43
Expert's post
ishancrazee wrote:
i seriously doubt this to be a 600-700 lvl . its quite easy to deduce ....

Hi ishancrazee, I agree that the difficulty level of this question is not particularly high. I believe the real trick is that none of the choices are that strong, so you might get stuck between two or three choices that sound half-right. If you go by the standard that it "must be true", then you can start knocking down C and E and get to D. Process of elimination on these types of inference questions is helpful to weed out the choices that sound correct from the one that must be correct.

Thanks!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected for the [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2014, 02:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In order for a president of Ronalia to be elected for the   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2014, 02:02