Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 140
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 15:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:59) correct 21% (01:05) wrong based on 166 sessions
In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than

What I want to know is where in the world is thereby discussed in any grammar book?!?!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: swimming against the current
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 252
Location: Chennai, India
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 30

Re: in order to conserve the energy and heat [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 01:25
Sorry I don't understand your q? y reasoning below

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with isolated birds wrong comparison
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to Same as B wrong comparison
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than Same as B wrong comparison
_________________

Gonna make it this time

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 140
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: in order to conserve the energy and heat [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 13:24
mailnavin1 wrote:
Sorry I don't understand your q? y reasoning below

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with isolated birds wrong comparison
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to Same as B wrong comparison
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than Same as B wrong comparison


Sorry I just got confused starting a clause in a comparison by "thereby"
_________________

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 307
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 46

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 02:25
In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than

Need detail explanation of every answer option

Last edited by mun23 on 09 Mar 2013, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 659
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 40

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 07:20
TO MUN23
though i picked A but i somehow don't like the question and i doubt if the correct option A is correct . i feel that A is run on .honestly i picked A only on the basis of comparison for only in A comparison is good

i will tell u why A is seeming to me as run on

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

the two portion that i have marked ,one in bold and the other one in italics ,are two independent clauses joined by comma

plz cite the source
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 307
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 46

Re: In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 09:56
Zarrolou wrote:
A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
CORRECT
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with
"until" is not properly used, "when compared with" is unidiomatic (it should be "compared to")
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
"thereby " is misplaced, the comparison is not logic: "they burn" and "it would be"
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than
which refers to "groups", wrong

whats the difference between thereby reducing and they thereby reduce?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 307
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 46

Re: In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 09:58
aditya8062 wrote:
TO MUN23
though i picked A but i somehow don't like the question and i doubt if the correct option A is correct . i feel that A is run on .honestly i picked A only on the basis of comparison for only in A comparison is good

i will tell u why A is seeming to me as run on

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

the two portion that i have marked ,one in bold and the other one in italics ,are two independent clauses joined by comma

plz cite the source

Hi aditya
source is gmat prep question pack
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 58
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Fisher '16 (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 02:19
mun23 wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
TO MUN23
though i picked A but i somehow don't like the question and i doubt if the correct option A is correct . i feel that A is run on .honestly i picked A only on the basis of comparison for only in A comparison is good

i will tell u why A is seeming to me as run on

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

the two portion that i have marked ,one in bold and the other one in italics ,are two independent clauses joined by comma

plz cite the source

Hi aditya
source is gmat prep question pack


Mun,
Always ask yourself one question . Whether the result is caused by the subject or the action did by the subject. Here emperor penguins did not reduce the rate . It is the huddling act that did the rate reduction.

With this options C, D, & E are ruled out.

In option B it is given as their rate which is wrong.

Option A) is right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 453
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 19:46
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 2353
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 17:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Tomorrow will be a new day...
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 943
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 210

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 23:20
In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for -- Correct, but I do not like use of so that in this context I would prefer such that instead. I feel Penguins dont know how much percentage energy they will save they just do so because they feel good.
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with -- when compared is not right.
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with -- winner of most awkward gmat prep options.
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to -- nearest nouns are nests or groups plural -- but verb reduces is singular
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than -- same as D.

_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2014, 23:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 The law of conservation of energy states that energy clipea12 1 08 Sep 2014, 15:39
6 To meet growing energy needs in Ibernia, ... avohden 4 14 Oct 2013, 07:52
In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend mun23 0 12 Mar 2013, 02:19
AWA - Analysis -- Energy Conservation (pls help to rate) ethankafka 2 15 Sep 2009, 06:20
Energy praveen_rao7 6 29 Jan 2005, 07:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.