In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has : GMAT Critical Reasoning (CR)
Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Dec 2016, 11:14
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [3] , given: 6

In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2013, 05:45
3
This post received
KUDOS
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (02:35) correct 68% (01:49) wrong based on 636 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has decided to change its fee structure.Instead of charging a flat rate of $20 per month and $0.50 for every minute over 200 minutes, the company will now charge $50 per month for unlimited usage.

Which of the following is a consideration that, if true, suggests that the new plan will not actually increase the company's revenues?

A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.
B) Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month.
C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.
D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.
E) In recent months the company has received several complaints of insufficient signal strength and poor customer service.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
how to come to conclusion of the solution to be a).I choose B. But according to the solution , the answer is a. and Why?


Source: Mc-Graw Hill's
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by doe007 on 21 May 2013, 06:41, edited 2 times in total.
Entered complete question, updated source, and changed topic name
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 452
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [1] , given: 70

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2013, 06:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
The company is expecting an increase of revenue by increasing the monthly fee. Here the underlying assumption is that the customer base will remain unchanged. If a competitor offers a much cheaper plan with similar benefits, it is likely that customers will switch to that rival company’s plan and that will reduce the company’s revenue.

A) Correct answer.
B) Without knowing cost of calls per minute, we cannot deduce whether new plan will increase the company's revenues.
c) This statement again does not provide any information on whether new plan will increase the company's revenues.
D) If this true, new plan may or may not increase the company's revenues, but we cannot say for sure.
E) This may affect the customer base. However, there is no information on effect of new plan on the company's revenues.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 150
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 41

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2013, 20:51
ruplun wrote:
In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has decided to change its fee structure.Instead of charging a flat rate of $20 per month and $0.50 for every minute over 200 minutes, the company will now charge $50 per month for unlimited usage.

Which of the following is a consideration that, if true, suggests that the new plan will not actually increase the company's revenues?

A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.
B) Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month.
C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.
D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.
E) In recent months the company has received several complaints of insufficient signal strength and poor customer service.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
how to come to conclusion of the solution to be a).I choose B. But according to the solution , the answer is a. and Why?


Source: Mc-Graw Hill's


A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.
Competition from rivals is not a concern. We are asked how new plan will not increase company's revvenues.

B) Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month.
Suppose, we have 99 customers.

Older PLan: 2/3 of 99 => 66 people use less than 500 min/month.

To minimize the plan's value, lets assume these 66 people make less than 200 min/month.

Now, they will be charged 66* 20$ => 1320$

Remaining 33 people, lets assume they make 500min/month.
they will be charge 33*20$ + 33*0.5*300 => 660 + 4950 => 5610$

total revenues for Older plan => 1320 + 5610 => 6930$

REMEMBER, this is the minimal cost.
New plan: 50$ per person
50*99 => 4950$

Thus plan B is not effective. CORRECT

C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.
This will show the new plan will be more effective than expected.

D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.
This can also be calculated as per B. and will hold true.

E) In recent months the company has received several complaints of insufficient signal strength and poor customer service.

Out of Scope.

I am confused b/w B and D, however i am more confused how A is correct??

Experts Please help..!!!

Thanks,
Jai
_________________

MODULUS Concept ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2013
Posts: 109
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 23:59
C and E can be easily eliminated
Now we have to choose between A, B or D
"Charging a flat rate of $20 per month and $0.50 for every minute over 200 minutes" means
0 to 200 mins- $20 fixed
from 201st min on wards- $1/2 for every min
B. Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month
Let there be 3K customers
Under New plan(N):
All will be charged=(3K) X 50= 150K
Under Old plan(O):
(I)2/3=2K customers ( say they use an avg of 400 min)
fixed :2K X 20= 40K
variable:(400-200)X1/2X2K=200K( here itself the revenue has increased over old plan i.e, 240K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone. When we add revenue from remaining 1/3, total revenue will be even more higher.
(II)1/3=1K
fixed :
variable:
i.e,{ total of old plan (I)+(II)}>new plan which suggests that the new plan will actually NOT increase the company's revenue.

D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.
Under New plan(N):
3K X 50= 150 K
Under Old plan(O):
(I)1/5= 600 customers ( say they talk for avg of 1100min)
fixed :600X50=30K
variable:(1100-200)X1/2X600=270K
HERE ALSO the revenue has increased over old plan i.e, 300K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone. When we add revenue from remaining 4/5, total revenue will be even more higher.
(II)4/5= 2400 customers
fixed :
variable:
i.e,{ total of old plan (I)+(II)}>new plan which suggests that the new plan will actually not increase the company's revenue.

both B and D are satisfying the condition.
Bumping for further review and discussions.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2013
Posts: 109
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2013, 02:12
Moreover, if we consider

A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.
(A) can also argued to be true, as, if the above is true then the rival company will attract all the customers of the company charging $50 thus undermining the latter's revenue and not causing an increase in revenues.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2013
Posts: 109
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2013, 02:16
correction:
(I)1/5= 600 customers ( say they talk for avg of 1100min)
fixed :600X50=30K(wrong)
600X20=12K(correct)
However, final answer not affected.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2013
Posts: 109
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 15:59
correction1:
variable:(400-200)X1/2X2K=200K( here itself the revenue has increased over old plan(wrong) i.e, 240K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone. When we add revenue from remaining 1/3, total revenue will be even more higher.

variable:(400-200)X1/2X2K=200K( here itself the revenue has increased over NEW plan(CORRECT) i.e, 240K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone. When we add revenue from remaining 1/3, total revenue will be even more higher.

SIMILAR correction in second part also.
HERE ALSO the revenue has increased over old plan(wrong) i.e, 300K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone

HERE ALSO the revenue has increased over NEW plan(CORRECT) i.e, 300K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone
Sorry for the errors guys. However all errors corrected.
WHERE ARE THE EXPERTS??????
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 80
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 2

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 16:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
Its true that both B and D reduce the company's revenue.
But the math in B and D does not matter if you have another company offering clients @ $10/month cheaper with no start up fee!
_________________

Kudos if I helped :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2013
Posts: 109
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 22:59
got it "igotthis" Manager
thanks for the explanation.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2011
Posts: 199
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 93

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 12:08
igotthis wrote:
Its true that both B and D reduce the company's revenue.
But the math in B and D does not matter if you have another company offering clients @ $10/month cheaper with no start up fee!


Actually, I spent 7 minutes - why? Because both B-D give the same answer, so they can't be true, so A is the only answer that can be, but it makes no sense. Maybe subscribers are legally obliged to remain with this company, so A is out of scope, so to accept this answer we are making assumptions that subscribers are free to chose their provider. How is this true? Can we actually make assumptions? Are this kind of questions common?
_________________

Stay positive! ^.^


My blog - http://www.mbafortech.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 181
Location: Canada
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 83

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2014, 14:03
kvazar wrote:
igotthis wrote:
Its true that both B and D reduce the company's revenue.
But the math in B and D does not matter if you have another company offering clients @ $10/month cheaper with no start up fee!


Actually, I spent 7 minutes - why? Because both B-D give the same answer, so they can't be true, so A is the only answer that can be, but it makes no sense. Maybe subscribers are legally obliged to remain with this company, so A is out of scope, so to accept this answer we are making assumptions that subscribers are free to chose their provider. How is this true? Can we actually make assumptions? Are this kind of questions common?


haha you're right. makes me think if i should ever buy a phone on contract or not. = P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 464
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 58

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2014, 12:59
kvazar wrote:
igotthis wrote:
Its true that both B and D reduce the company's revenue.
But the math in B and D does not matter if you have another company offering clients @ $10/month cheaper with no start up fee!


Actually, I spent 7 minutes - why? Because both B-D give the same answer, so they can't be true, so A is the only answer that can be, but it makes no sense. Maybe subscribers are legally obliged to remain with this company, so A is out of scope, so to accept this answer we are making assumptions that subscribers are free to chose their provider. How is this true? Can we actually make assumptions? Are this kind of questions common?

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Maybe they get their phone from work. Maybe the rival company has almost no coverage? Maybe the rival company sells only one type of phone?
It's too big of a jump (in my opinion) to make... so I don't see A as the right answer.
Can someone else weigh in here?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Posts: 120
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 86

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2014, 21:08
This is a great question...(may be just because I got it right that’s why)..just kidding!!

Back to the question!

A. For the time being let us eliminate A, because reading it 1st, it didn’t strike me to be the correct ans. , until I reviewed the rest.

B. A definite NO.

Reviewing analysis carried out by jatuteja which is correct as far as the math is concerned.

jaituteja wrote:
ruplun wrote:

B) Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month.
Suppose, we have 99 customers.

Older PLan: 2/3 of 99 => 66 people use less than 500 min/month.

To minimize the plan's value, lets assume these 66 people make less than 200 min/month.

Now, they will be charged 66* 20$ => 1320$

Remaining 33 people, lets assume they make 500min/month.
they will be charge 33*20$ + 33*0.5*300 => 660 + 4950 => 5610$

total revenues for Older plan => 1320 + 5610 => 6930$

REMEMBER, this is the minimal cost.
New plan: 50$ per person
50*99 => 4950$

Thus plan B is not effective. CORRECT..…NOT CORRECT..What if the customer base after implementing the plan increases to 99000. Obviously revenues will increase to 50*99000…


Experts Please help..!!!

Thanks,
Jai


Basically, the assumption that customer base remains intact after implementing new plan is unwarranted.

C and D also carry same reasoning as B and hence can be ruled out convincingly.

E. So what? The company may have received complaints in the last few months, but may have addressed all the concerns last week. Also this has no bearing on the new customer base. In the worst case scenario, the company may have lost 1%, 2%, 10% or 50% of the customers, but may have gained another new customers increasing the customer base by 50%, 100%, 200% or 2000% (unless otherwise these new customers are related to the old affected customers so as to be discouraged by them…which obviously is too much of an assumption) and hence could earn more revenues …Not a strong contender

Back to A. Not much of math involved and after ruling out the remaining, seems to be an answer based more on common sense than anything else.

Hence, answer is A.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10434
Followers: 882

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 00:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2014
Posts: 74
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 296

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2016, 21:08
jaituteja wrote:
ruplun wrote:
In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has decided to change its fee structure.Instead of charging a flat rate of $20 per month and $0.50 for every minute over 200 minutes, the company will now charge $50 per month for unlimited usage.

Which of the following is a consideration that, if true, suggests that the new plan will not actually increase the company's revenues?

A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.
B) Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month.
C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.
D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.
E) In recent months the company has received several complaints of insufficient signal strength and poor customer service.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
how to come to conclusion of the solution to be a).I choose B. But according to the solution , the answer is a. and Why?


Source: Mc-Graw Hill's


A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.
Competition from rivals is not a concern. We are asked how new plan will not increase company's revvenues.

B) Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month.
Suppose, we have 99 customers.

Older PLan: 2/3 of 99 => 66 people use less than 500 min/month.

To minimize the plan's value, lets assume these 66 people make less than 200 min/month.

Now, they will be charged 66* 20$ => 1320$

Remaining 33 people, lets assume they make 500min/month.
they will be charge 33*20$ + 33*0.5*300 => 660 + 4950 => 5610$

total revenues for Older plan => 1320 + 5610 => 6930$

REMEMBER, this is the minimal cost.
New plan: 50$ per person
50*99 => 4950$

Thus plan B is not effective. CORRECT

C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.
This will show the new plan will be more effective than expected.

D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.
This can also be calculated as per B. and will hold true.

E) In recent months the company has received several complaints of insufficient signal strength and poor customer service.

Out of Scope.

I am confused b/w B and D, however i am more confused how A is correct??

Experts Please help..!!!

Thanks,
Jai


B is not correct because
Case Before: cost to customers = $20 + .50(x-200) {because 200 minutes are free and we are charged over 200 minutes}
1>so if customer talks for 500 minutes
cost= 20+ .50(500-200)= 20+ 150= 170$
2> if customer talks for 200 minutes
cost= 20+ .50(200-200)=20$

Case after: customer has to pay 50$

so we can conclude that plan may or may not be favourable to customer depending on his minutes usage( 170$ VS 50$)

D can be equated thae same as is B
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 306

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2016, 01:17
ruplun wrote:
In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has decided to change its fee structure.Instead of charging a flat rate of $20 per month and $0.50 for every minute over 200 minutes, the company will now charge $50 per month for unlimited usage.

Which of the following is a consideration that, if true, suggests that the new plan will not actually increase the company's revenues?

A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.
B) Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month.
C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.
D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.
E) In recent months the company has received several complaints of insufficient signal strength and poor customer service.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
how to come to conclusion of the solution to be a).I choose B. But according to the solution , the answer is a. and Why?


Source: Mc-Graw Hill's

For the revenue to be equal for the two plans the average number of usage minutes has to be 20 + 0.5(t-200) = 50
t = 260
if the average usage exceeds 260 then plan will not succeed.

A - So the customer have better option, seems correct, lets check for a better option
B - Not sufficient, we do not know if average usage is less then or more than 260 min
C - unlimited calling plan will irrespective generate the same revenue whether the usage is increased
D - We do not know about the usage of other four-fifth of the customers, so we do not know the average usage of customers
E - Irrelevant

Hence, A
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2016, 11:31
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
How come A be the ans choice? at your 1st glance on it, this option might be very lucrative. But wait do we know anything about this rival company? In reality, you might get many cheaper plans in market, but will you be very sure to take up that plan unless you know certain things?
1. Quality of Call
2. Network issues(if any)
3. Any bad image in market(Companies often offer cheaper product to overcome their bad image)
Can you compromise these factors against cheaper call rate? No right?
In order to choose option A, the rival corp needs to be competitive enough to pull the customer base of the cell phone company by offering cheaper calls. Since we don't know any information about the rival corp so we cannot say whether this option weakens the argument or not.
According to me "C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent." is the correct answer because
We know at older rate you can make a monthly usage of 200 min with a fixed rate of $20/month. So if a customer is paying $20 for 200 min, so he/she is most likely to make 200 mins call. Now if he/she makes another 100 min(or makes 50% increase in usage) call with $0.50/min call rate, then he/she would have to pay another $50 resulting 50+20 = $70 to the company.

Where in the new plan the company will receive $50 for the same usage. So this might significantly bring down the company's revenue. And our assumption here is "the customer base is the same or no significant increase in customer base". So there is a high chance that the new plan will not work.


Guys what do u think?
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 1917
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 293

Kudos [?]: 1225 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2016, 11:39
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
Hi,
How come A be the ans choice? at your 1st glance on it, this option might be very lucrative. But wait do we know anything about this rival company? In reality, you might get many cheaper plans in market, but will you be very sure to take up that plan unless you know certain things?
1. Quality of Call
2. Network issues(if any)
3. Any bad image in market(Companies often offer cheaper product to overcome their bad image)
Can you compromise these factors against cheaper call rate? No right?
In order to choose option A, the rival corp needs to be competitive enough to pull the customer base of the cell phone company by offering cheaper calls. Since we don't know any information about the rival corp so we cannot say whether this option weakens the argument or not.
According to me "C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent." is the correct answer because
We know at older rate you can make a monthly usage of 200 min. So if a customer is paying $20 for 200 min, so he/she is most likely to make 200 mins call. Now if he/she makes another 100 min(or makes 50% increase in usage) call with $0.50/min call rate, then he/she would have to pay another $50 resulting 50+20 = $70 to the company.

Where in the new plan the company will receive $50 for the same usage. So this might significantly bring down the company's revenue. And our assumption here is "the customer base is the same or no significant increase in customer base". So there is a high chance that the new plan will not work.


Guys what do u think?


For strengthening / weakening questions, a could be true scenario suffices, a must be true scenario is not required. Option A COULD BE a reason that the company's plan will not be successful. This condition is enough for it to be the correct answer. (Only in assumption questions, a must be true condition needs to be satisfied).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 306

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2016, 11:57
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
Hi,
How come A be the ans choice? at your 1st glance on it, this option might be very lucrative. But wait do we know anything about this rival company? In reality, you might get many cheaper plans in market, but will you be very sure to take up that plan unless you know certain things?
1. Quality of Call
2. Network issues(if any)
3. Any bad image in market(Companies often offer cheaper product to overcome their bad image)
Can you compromise these factors against cheaper call rate? No right?
In order to choose option A, the rival corp needs to be competitive enough to pull the customer base of the cell phone company by offering cheaper calls. Since we don't know any information about the rival corp so we cannot say whether this option weakens the argument or not.
According to me "C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent." is the correct answer because
We know at older rate you can make a monthly usage of 200 min with a fixed rate of $20/month. So if a customer is paying $20 for 200 min, so he/she is most likely to make 200 mins call. Now if he/she makes another 100 min(or makes 50% increase in usage) call with $0.50/min call rate, then he/she would have to pay another $50 resulting 50+20 = $70 to the company.

Where in the new plan the company will receive $50 for the same usage. So this might significantly bring down the company's revenue. And our assumption here is "the customer base is the same or no significant increase in customer base". So there is a high chance that the new plan will not work.


Guys what do u think?



We have to keep in mind what the question is asking:
"Which of the following is a consideration that, if true, suggests that the new plan will not actually increase the company's revenues"

As per C, certain usage will increase, but since it is a fixed plan, actual usage has no correlation with revenue, so it does not matter. In the same way even if these users were to decrease their usage it still won't have any impact on revenue.

Also for A, we are free to make reasonable assumptions, we are only trying to weaken the prospects of the plan's success.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2015
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 07:46
Now, why B and D are wrong...
We can easily eliminate C and E.

After the launch of new plan, we are not sure about the customers who will subscribe to the new plan. Customer base may increase, decrease or remains same.

We can calculate the before-revenue and after-revenue. But for that we have to assume that customer base remains same.

We need to keep in mind that a answer choice should be true in all cases, even in extreme practical cases such as customer base might shoot up from 100 to 1,00,000 or to even a crore (Courtesy to JIO :wink: ) or might find no new customers at all and also looses its current customers

In weaken/strengthen questions, don’t assume.


Please correct me if I’m wrong in my logic.
Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2016, 07:46

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Increased revenue at Company A is due to its high quality products, no mkjabc 2 13 Aug 2016, 05:08
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic In order to raise revenue, the federal government souvik101990 4 01 Jul 2015, 12:30
In order to increase production, ABC Company should soniedarshan 5 09 Jun 2013, 09:35
1 In order to increase sales of its products, a company Galiya 2 02 Sep 2012, 07:20
In order to increase revenues, an airport plans to change raghavs 6 01 Apr 2010, 23:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.