Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2016, 10:07
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Appearing for GMAT
Joined: 23 May 2011
Posts: 134
Location: United States (NJ)
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 165 [3] , given: 34

In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 09:09
3
This post received
KUDOS
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (02:33) correct 62% (01:34) wrong based on 762 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must practice effectively. The only effective way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones. A person can utter such sentences only by first making mistakes in that language that would appear foolish to fluent speakers of the language.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?
A. People who have learned to speak a foreign language will have appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
B.People who only recite memorized sentences in a foreign language will never learn to speak that language.
C.People who have not learned to speak a foreign language have not appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
D.People who do not make mistakes when uttering original sentences in a foreign language do not appear foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
E.When combined with other exercises, reciting memorized sentences in a foreign language can be an effective means of practicing to speak that language.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 457
Location: Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 20

Re: CR: foreign language - Conclusion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 09:30
will go with B. - the key is 'the only effective way to learn foreign language is to practice is by uttering original sentence'
4 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 2021
Followers: 156

Kudos [?]: 1521 [4] , given: 376

Re: CR: foreign language - Conclusion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 10:03
4
This post received
KUDOS
rphardu wrote:
In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must practice effectively. The only effective way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones. A person can utter such sentences only by first making mistakes in that language that would appear foolish to fluent speakers of the language.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?
A. People who have learned to speak a foreign language will have appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
>Only if those people uttered original sentences before fluent speakers.

B.People who only recite memorized sentences in a foreign language will never learn to speak that language.
>Yes, because person must practice EFFECTIVELY to learn a foreign language and the ONLY(just one) effective way to learn is by uttering original sentence AND not by reciting the memorized one.

C.People who have not learned to speak a foreign language have not appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
>Maybe not because of their foolish utterances, but who knows because of SOME other reason. Maybe a reason not at all related to learning language.

D.People who do not make mistakes when uttering original sentences in a foreign language do not appear foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
>Making a mistake guarantees appearing foolish; not making a mistake is no guarantee for appearing not-foolish. Bit bizarre and inconsiderate, but we can't make any assumption beyond what's conveyed in the passage.

E.When combined with other exercises, reciting memorized sentences in a foreign language can be an effective means of practicing to speak that language.
>No way. Remember what was the ONLY effective way. ONLY. If not, see B.


_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Appearing for GMAT
Joined: 23 May 2011
Posts: 134
Location: United States (NJ)
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 34

Re: CR: foreign language - Conclusion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 10:35
fluke wrote:
rphardu wrote:
In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must practice effectively. The only effective way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones. A person can utter such sentences only by first making mistakes in that language that would appear foolish to fluent speakers of the language.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?
A. People who have learned to speak a foreign language will have appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
>Only if those people uttered original sentences before fluent speakers.

B.People who only recite memorized sentences in a foreign language will never learn to speak that language.
>Yes, because person must practice EFFECTIVELY to learn a foreign language and the ONLY(just one) effective way to learn is by uttering original sentence AND not by reciting the memorized one.

C.People who have not learned to speak a foreign language have not appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
>Maybe not because of their foolish utterances, but who knows because of SOME other reason. Maybe a reason not at all related to learning language.

D.People who do not make mistakes when uttering original sentences in a foreign language do not appear foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
>Making a mistake guarantees appearing foolish; not making a mistake is no guarantee for appearing not-foolish. Bit bizarre and inconsiderate, but we can't make any assumption beyond what's conveyed in the passage.

E.When combined with other exercises, reciting memorized sentences in a foreign language can be an effective means of practicing to speak that language.
>No way. Remember what was the ONLY effective way. ONLY. If not, see B.



Thanks Fluke, Well explained.
_________________

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: CR: foreign language - Conclusion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 14:26
+1 for A

Good one
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 37

Re: CR: foreign language - Conclusion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 19:37
B it is.

Crick
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 239
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 16

Re: CR: foreign language - Conclusion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2011, 08:33
Clearly its B.

"The only effective way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language"
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 190
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: foreign language - Conclusion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2011, 10:25
I disagree with B). "The only EFFECTIVE way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones." Note the word EFFECTIVE. It implies that reciting memorized sentences is still possible, while not EFFECTIVE, to learn the language. Choice B) is wrong because it says that people who ONLY recite memorized sentences NEVER learn to speak the language.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 272
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 110

Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 07:31
Oh very nice question. Went with A but I guess B is better. Thanks for the wonderful explanation fluke.
_________________

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 563
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 16

Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 08:10
why not D?
_________________

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 186
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 6

Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:21
SO “ONLY” effective way is give, rest all method is considered as not going to help in learning

Based on that B only satisfies the author
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 21:57
2
This post received
KUDOS
rphardu wrote:
In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must practice effectively. The only effective way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones. A person can utter such sentences only by first making mistakes in that language that would appear foolish to fluent speakers of the language.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?
A. People who have learned to speak a foreign language will have appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
B.People who only recite memorized sentences in a foreign language will never learn to speak that language.
C.People who have not learned to speak a foreign language have not appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
D.People who do not make mistakes when uttering original sentences in a foreign language do not appear foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
E.When combined with other exercises, reciting memorized sentences in a foreign language can be an effective means of practicing to speak that language.


The question contains two necessary condition markers in the sentence (eg: must,only) so we can use the "Sufficient /Necessary conditions" way to answer this question.

Sentence1: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must practice effectively.
Must is a necessary condition marker and it modifies "practice effectively" so we can build a logical chain as:

LSF (learn to speak foreign language) -> PE (Practice effectively). (LSF is sufficient condition here)

Sentence2: The only effective way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones.
Only is a necessary condition marker and it modifies "uttering original sentences and Not reciting memorized ones".
The logical chain is:

PE -> UOS (utter original sentences, if we dont (ie ~UOS ) means we recite memorizes ones).

Sentence3: A person can utter such sentences only by first making mistakes in that language that would appear foolish to fluent speakers of the language.
Only is again a necessary condition marker here and it modifies "Makes mistakes that appear foolish". The logical chain is :

UOS -> MMAF (make mistakes appear foolish).

From the three sentences the complete logical chain is:
LSF->PE->UOS->MMAF
The contrapositive of this is: ~MMAF->~UOS->~PE->~LSF.


We need to look for the above two in the answer choices.

A. People who have learned to speak a foreign language will have appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
LSF->AF . This is wrong , we need to also make mistake to appear foolish. ie MMAF.

B.People who only recite memorized sentences in a foreign language will never learn to speak that language.
~UOS -> ~LFS. This is a contrapositive and is correct. (~UOS means that we are reciting memorized sentences and not uttering Original sentences)

C.People who have not learned to speak a foreign language have not appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
~LF->~AF. This is wrong , it is wrong negation of the logic chain above.

D.People who do not make mistakes when uttering original sentences in a foreign language do not appear foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
MM->AF , this is what is given in the argument. and this choice talks about ~MM->~AF which is again wrong negation.

E.When combined with other exercises, reciting memorized sentences in a foreign language can be an effective means of practicing to speak that language.
Nothing mentioned about this in the argument.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2013
Posts: 14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 534

Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 23:37
please can anyone explain A is not the the answer......
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 94
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 51

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2014, 09:48
mrblack wrote:
I disagree with B). "The only EFFECTIVE way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones." Note the word EFFECTIVE. It implies that reciting memorized sentences is still possible, while not EFFECTIVE, to learn the language. Choice B) is wrong because it says that people who ONLY recite memorized sentences NEVER learn to speak the language.

I agree with you. I have marked A for the same reason.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2014
Posts: 14
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2014, 11:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
naval.sheth wrote:
please can anyone explain A is not the the answer......


Hi naval.sheth, and dransa,

The prompt once more:
In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must practice effectively. The only effective way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones. A person can utter such sentences only by first making mistakes in that language that would appear foolish to fluent speakers of the language.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?

GOAL:
This is an inference question, and inference questions specifically ask us to find an answer that we know FOR A FACT.

Here's the difference between A and B:

A. People who have learned to speak a foreign language will have appeared foolish to fluent speakers of that language.
Read the option VERY carefully. Does the prompt tell us that the PEOPLE would appear foolish, or that the sentences would appear foolish? That's the difference. We aren't given any basis to comment on how the people making the sentences would look---only the sentences.

B.People who only recite memorized sentences in a foreign language will never learn to speak that language.
Now, from the information highlighted in the passage, since we know that the only effective way to practice is by uttering original sentences, then that would mean that those who only recite memorized sentences in a foreign language will never learn to speak that language. Therefore, given the facts from the prompt, we know this answer has to be true.
_________________

Allen T.
EMPOWERgmat Advisor
http://www.empowergmat.com

EMPOWERgmat GMAT Club Page, Study Plans, & Discounts
http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/empowergmat-discount/?fl=menu

Image

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 498
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT 1: 0 Q47 V29
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 280 [1] , given: 601

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 08:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
I request the members to elucidate more on the "B".

Basically, i would like to discuss about wht mrblack wrote abt B.
I disagree with B). "The only EFFECTIVE way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones." Note the word EFFECTIVE. It implies that reciting memorized sentences is still possible, while not EFFECTIVE, to learn the language. Choice B) is wrong because it says that people who ONLY recite memorized sentences NEVER learn to speak the language.
I don't want to sound "thinking too much" here :) but this is how i would look at it.
The only effective way to practice <=> The only way that is (also)effective ,to practice.
In other words its the only way and its effective.Now if its the only way then B fits correctly here.
B.People who [color=#2e3192]only recite memorized
sentences in a foreign language will never learn to speak that language.[/color]

BTW I selected D but then it doesn't pass the fact test as argument just mentions that "A person can utter such sentences only by first making mistakes in that language that would appear foolish to fluent speakers of the language.". Arg doesn't mentions abt the scenario mentioned in
D:"People who do not make mistakes when uttering original sentences in a foreign language do not appear foolish to fluent speakers of that language."
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2014, 01:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
The problems that people are having with B are sound, if it weren't for the first sentence. The first sentence clearly states that "In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must practice effectively." Thus the fact that it is effective is essential and without effective practice, the person would never learn to speak a foreign language. Thus, if they only recite memorized sentences, they will not practice effectively and they will not learn the language.
_________________

Eliza
GMAT Tutor
bestgmatprepcourse.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 15:07
JarvisR wrote:
I request the members to elucidate more on the "B".

Basically, i would like to discuss about wht mrblack wrote abt B.
I disagree with B). "The only EFFECTIVE way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones." Note the word EFFECTIVE. It implies that reciting memorized sentences is still possible, while not EFFECTIVE, to learn the language. Choice B) is wrong because it says that people who ONLY recite memorized sentences NEVER learn to speak the language.
I don't want to sound "thinking too much" here :) but this is how i would look at it.
The only effective way to practice <=> The only way that is (also)effective ,to practice.
In other words its the only way and its effective.Now if its the only way then B fits correctly here.
B.People who [color=#2e3192]only recite memorized
sentences in a foreign language will never learn to speak that language.[/color]

BTW I selected D but then it doesn't pass the fact test as argument just mentions that "A person can utter such sentences only by first making mistakes in that language that would appear foolish to fluent speakers of the language.". Arg doesn't mentions abt the scenario mentioned in
D:"People who do not make mistakes when uttering original sentences in a foreign language do not appear foolish to fluent speakers of that language."


I choose C for that matter ....
Kindly clarify on "B" and why "C" is wrong ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 8743
Followers: 770

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 05:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2015
Posts: 50
Schools: HBS '18, LBS '19, ISB '17
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 41

CAT Tests
Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 04:02
Ok.. Picking a right answer is really a game here.. very logical.
so classical approach to this question(Maybe for all the conclusion based questions) is -

In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must practice effectively. The only effective way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones. A person can utter such sentences only by first making mistakes in that language that would appear foolish to fluent speakers of the language

Breakdown the Argument to premises and conclusions - Do this!
Try since/Beacause X(premise) therefore Y(conclusion) - you'll find

Since, a person must practice effectively In order to learn to speak a foreign language - Premise
Since, A person can utter such sentences only by first making mistakes in that language that would appear foolish to fluent speakers of the language - Premise
Therefore, The only effective way to practice is by uttering original sentences in that language, rather than reciting memorized ones. - Conclusion

Only statement that qualifies as a conclusion is "the only effective way....." and that is what you should search for, in the options, eliminating everything irrelevant to the conclusion you derived --> Only one option will match this criteria i;e. (B)

Game over! K.O

Remember to do this forehand you check the options - options skew your ability to pick the right one.
_________________

"Fight the HARDEST battle that anyone can ever imagine"

Re: In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2016, 04:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 A study of young children's ability to learn foreign languages found t anurag16 2 11 Jul 2016, 07:25
5 A recent survey has shown that today, very few people learn a language Harley1980 4 26 Aug 2015, 23:59
To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must reply2spg 10 20 Jan 2009, 20:12
2 To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must shobuj 7 27 Mar 2008, 03:23
To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must jyotsnasarabu 12 17 Nov 2006, 08:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In order to learn to speak a foreign language, a person must

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.