Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 217

GMAT Tests User
In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 16:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:56) correct 35% (01:34) wrong based on 96 sessions
In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split into n teams, with each team having an equal number of players. If there are more than two teams, and if each team has more than two players, how many teams are there?

(1) If thirteen new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams.
(2) If seven new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
As the OA is not provided, I would like to double check my solution for this problem. This is how I solved it.

Considering the Question Stem

Total players = 24
Number of Teams > 2
Players in each Team > 2
Number of Teams ---> We have to find.

Considering Statement 1

13 players join. So total players = 24+13 = 37. 1 sit out, so total players 36. So now the number of teams can be 18, 12, 9. Therefore insufficient

Considering Statement 2

7 new players join. So total players = 24 + 7 = 29. 1 sit out, so total players 28. Again, the number of teams can be 14, 7, 4. Therefore insufficient.

Combining the two statements - > We can't calculate the exact number of teams and therefore my answer is E. Can you please check and let me know your thoughts guys?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3250

Kudos [?]: 22435 [1] , given: 2619

Re: Players and teams [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 17:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split into n teams, with each team having an equal number of players. If there are more than two teams, and if each team has more than two players, how many teams are there?

Given: n>2 and 24/n>2, so basically n is a factor of 24 satisfying both requirements (2<n<12). n can take the following values: 3, 4, 6, and 8. Question: n=?

(1) If thirteen new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams --> (24+13)-1=36 is also multiple of n --> n can be: 3, 4, or 6. Not sufficient.

(2) If seven new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams --> (24+7)-1=30 is also a multiple of n --> n can be: 3, or 6. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) n can still be: 3 or 6. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 05:33
n has to be between 2 and 24 (2<n<24) as two restrictions are given:

First: n>2 more than 2 teams
Second: 24/n>2 more than 2 Player per team
Additionally: To get a fair split n needs to be a factor of 24

1: 37-1 = 36 --> N = 3, 4, 6, 9 --> Not sufficient
2: 31-1= 30 --> N = 3, 6, --> Not sufficient

Even though if both Statements are taken together, it is not sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 4

game [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 21:52
when looking at each statement they give new scenarios but the we can only look at number of teams that match the original number of teams example in stmt 2 there's 30 ppl to make teams and factors are 3,5,6 but 5 is not a factor of 24

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1031

Kudos [?]: 4492 [0], given: 162

Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 01:03
Expert's post
enigma123 wrote:

(1) If thirteen new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams.
(2) If seven new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams.

As the OA is not provided, I would like to double check my solution for this problem. This is how I solved it.

Total players = 24
Number of Teams > 2
Players in each Team > 2

Considering Statement 1

13 players join. So total players = 24+13 = 37. 1 sit out, so total players 36. So now the number of teams can be 18, 12, 9. Therefore insufficient

Considering Statement 2

7 new players join. So total players = 24 + 7 = 29. 1 sit out, so total players 28. Again, the number of teams can be 14, 7, 4. Therefore insufficient.

Combining the two statements - > We can't calculate the exact number of teams and therefore my answer is E. Can you please check and let me know your thoughts guys?

Grouping theory of divisibility helps you solve many questions very quickly, very easily and by just using a little bit of imagination. I would strongly advise you to check it out:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/04 ... unraveled/

I will show you how it is applicable in this question:

"In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split into n teams, with each team having an equal number of players."
There are 24 people. They are divided into groups with equal no. of people. They could be divided into 3 groups (8 people each) or 4 groups (6 people each) or 6 groups (4 people each) or 8 groups (3 people each). Once we know how many people were there in each group, we can find out the number of groups.

1 player sits out so the rest of the 12 people can also be divided into groups of 6 people each or 4 people each or 3 people each. It is not sufficient to know how many people were there in each group.

6 people can also be made to form a group of 6 people or two groups of 3 people each.

Using both statements, we see that the groups could consist of 6 people each or 3 people each. So together they are not sufficient.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 15:17
Thank you for the descriptions. I did not think of the factor approach. It makes sense to think of this problem as they are asking for N which is 2 < N < 24, and N are the factors of 24, which are 3, 4, 6, 8. Now statement 1 can have 12 divisible by 3, 4, 6 so not suff. and statement 2 has 6 divisible by 3, and 6 so not sufficient. Thank you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Players and teams [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 17:13
Bunuel wrote:

Given: n>2 and 24/n>2, so basically n is a factor of 24 satisfying both requirements (2<n<12). n can take the following values: 3, 4, 6, and 8. Question: n=?

(1) If thirteen new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams --> (24+13)-1=36 is also multiple of n --> n can be: 3, 4, or 6. Not sufficient.

(2) If seven new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams --> (24+7)-1=30 is also a multiple of n --> n can be: 3, or 6. Not sufficient.

Can You please explain me how (1)+(2) will appears? I mean what is the statement after combining (1)+(2)
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22435 [0], given: 2619

Re: Players and teams [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 04:34
Expert's post
mannava189 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Can You please explain me how (1)+(2) will appears? I mean what is the statement after combining (1)+(2)

From (1) we have that n could be: 3, 4, or 6.
From (2) we have that n could be: 3, or 6.

So, when we combine we get that n could be 3 or 6.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Cornell-Johnson Thread Master
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 16:45
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

Total players = 24
Number of Teams > 2
Players in each Team > 2

Considering Statement 1

Considering Statement 2

Grouping theory of divisibility helps you solve many questions very quickly, very easily and by just using a little bit of imagination. I would strongly advise you to check it out:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/04 ... unraveled/

I will show you how it is applicable in this question:

"In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split into n teams, with each team having an equal number of players."
There are 24 people. They are divided into groups with equal no. of people. They could be divided into 3 groups (8 people each) or 4 groups (6 people each) or 6 groups (4 people each) or 8 groups (3 people each). Once we know how many people were there in each group, we can find out the number of groups.

1 player sits out so the rest of the 12 people can also be divided into groups of 6 people each or 4 people each or 3 people each. It is not sufficient to know how many people were there in each group.

6 people can also be made to form a group of 6 people or two groups of 3 people each.

Using both statements, we see that the groups could consist of 6 people each or 3 people each. So together they are not sufficient.

;
The question would had been solvable in case the statement were like ; 4 people joined and were accommodated or 4 people joined and 1 had to sit out for even distribution.

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.

Expert Post

Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 23:49
Expert's post
aceacharya wrote:
The question would had been solvable in case the statement were like ; 4 people joined and were accommodated or 4 people joined and 1 had to sit out for even distribution.

Yes, that's right.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 416 [0], given: 99

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 09:59
Expert's post
Bunuel/Karishma,

I think it's below 600 level question...Your thoughts please!

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post

Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 18:46
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
Bunuel/Karishma,

I think it's below 600 level question...Your thoughts please!

I will stick with 600-700

Some people could start off thinking it's a Permutation Combination problem.
You cannot make an equation and solve it.
You can imagine the scenario and see the answer quickly if you understand the concept of division - it may not be that clear otherwise.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '16, HEC '16
GPA: 3
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 12:18
Bunuel

Can we solve it using the remainders concept :

I started off with :

1) 24+13 = mq+1
24 = mq-12

2) 24+7 = np+1
24 = np-6

Taking both together :

0 = mq-np-6

After this I got lost.....
Expert Post

Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 03:24
Expert's post
karjan07 wrote:
Bunuel

Can we solve it using the remainders concept :

I started off with :

1) 24+13 = mq+1
24 = mq-12

2) 24+7 = np+1
24 = np-6

Taking both together :

0 = mq-np-6

After this I got lost.....

You are using too many variables. Use only as many as you actually need.

Question says 24/n = an integer

Statement 1: 24+13 = 37 gives remainder 1. This means 36/n is an integer. Common factors of 24 and 36 are 3, 4, 6 which can equal n. Hence, not sufficient.

Statement 2: 24+7 = 31 gives remainder 1. This means 30/n is an integer. Common factors of 24 and 30 are 3, 6 which can equal n. Hence not sufficient.

Together, n can be 3 or 6. So answer (E)

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 104

GMAT ToolKit User
In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2013, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 92

Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2013, 10:21
Stiv wrote:

hey..
24 players to be split into n teams with m players each....

1) If thirteen new players join the game, one must sit out so that the rest can be split up evenly among the teams.
Total no. of players now: 24+13= 37
One must sit out, hence no. of players: 36
With 36 players:
n=6, m=6;
n=3, m=12;
n=12, n=3;
i.e there are many ways for the team to be arranged..
Hence, INSUFFICIENT.

Total no. of players now: 24+7= 31
One must sit out, hence no. of players: 30
There is more than one possibility for the team:
n=5, m=6;
n=6, m=5.
Hence, INSUFFICIENT.

1 and 2 together: There are no common values.. Hence, INSUFFICIENT.
ANS:E

Kudos if you like my post...
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 538 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2013, 10:30
Stiv wrote:

conditions:
1).24 players.
2).each team having an equal number
3). more than two teams
4) each team has more than two players

total players now = 24+13 =37
remove 1 = 36
this cab be divided in 9 x 4...and ...12 X 3 ....6x6....4x9....3x12....9x4.......(teams x player)
NOT SUFFICIENT

Total players now = 24 + 7 =31
remove 1 = 30
options available = 3x10 5x6 6x5 10x3 (teams x player)
more than options available
not sufficient.

combining also we have 2 options.
not sufficient

hence E

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22435 [0], given: 2619

Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 02:04
Expert's post
Stiv wrote:

Merging similar topics.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: In order to play a certain game, 24 players must be split in   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2013, 02:04