Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 10

In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

19% (02:24) correct 81% (01:30) wrong based on 724 sessions
In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a tax amnesty program
that allows tax delinquents to pay all owed tax without added financial penalty.
However, economists projected that the federal government would collect a far
lower percentage of total tax owed by delinquents than did state governments
implementing similar programs.Which of the following, if true, would most contribute
to an explanation of the economists’ projections?

A.Tax amnesty programs are only successful if they are widely publicized.

B.Most people who honestly pay their state tax are equally honest in paying their federal tax.

C.Although federal tax delinquents usually must pay high financial penalties, the states require far lower financial penalties.

D. The state tax rate varies considerably from state to state, but the federal tax is levied according to laws which apply to citizens of all the states.

E. Unlike most federal tax delinquents, most state tax delinquents fail to pay state tax because of an oversight rather than a decision not to pay.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tax Delinquents [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 21:31
Are you sure that the OA is C? IMO, it is E.

The federal government will receive less money than the states because the deliquents don't want to pay federal taxes.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Tax Delinquents [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 21:44
E should be it IMO..fact undermining C has been provided in the argument..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 31

Re: Tax Delinquents [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 22:02
E should be it. C is irrelevant

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

Re: Tax Delinquents [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 22:24
thanks guys for confirming, i also had marked E , C makes little sense..just wanted to have a second opinion, to make sure i haven't missed anything, thanks again! :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: Tax Delinquents [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 05:15
gmihir wrote:
thanks guys for confirming, i also had marked E , C makes little sense..just wanted to have a second opinion, to make sure i haven't missed anything, thanks again! :)

Please change the official answer in your first post.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Tax Delinquents [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 08:56
Yes... C makes no sense at all....
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

Re: Tax Delinquents [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 08:26
hi all,

Though i selected E too, after looking at the answer i am little confused now.

In E, it is mentioned that the state tax deliquents are usually those who dont pay because of oversight. if that were true, a state tax amnesty program wouldnt have any special benefit because those people would have paid either way without needing any additional incentives. Hence, there is no reason why a federal program would be less successful than a state one.

Am i wrong in my approach? Can someone clarify pls? :|
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tax Delinquents [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 19:59
tsheshraj wrote:
hi all,

Though i selected E too, after looking at the answer i am little confused now.

In E, it is mentioned that the state tax deliquents are usually those who dont pay because of oversight. if that were true, a state tax amnesty program wouldnt have any special benefit because those people would have paid either way without needing any additional incentives. Hence, there is no reason why a federal program would be less successful than a state one.

Am i wrong in my approach? Can someone clarify pls? :|

This argument is assuming that people who forgot to pay state taxes would be reminded and encouraged by state amnesty program to pay Taxes without penalty. Because these people didn't want to default on State Taxes, would pay the taxes more easily than people who defaulted on Federal Taxes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tax Delinquents [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 01:34
After spending more than 5 minutes on this question, I am convinced that the answer is E.
Great question.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 122 [1] , given: 75

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
in 1:46 mins
(C) clearly states that the federal penalties were higher than that of the state penalties so the delinquent cases found the offer good enough to repay the federal one.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 474 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 07:22
E. Unlike most federal tax delinquents, most state tax delinquents fail to pay state tax because of an oversight rather than a decision not to pay.

So, I think most tax delinquents don't pay fed taxes because they decide not to, or simply put, don't want to pay.
Those who don't pay state taxes are mostly forgetting to pay, not because they don't want to pay.
Two different attitudes, why should the same method work for both?

I think it is E.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 11:40
The passage clearly mentions that federal government will NOT charge penalties. Hence comparison of penalties in choice C is irrelevant.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 05:34
gmihir wrote:
that allows tax delinquents to pay all owed tax without added financial penalty.
implementing similar programs.Which of the following, if true, would most contribute

B.Most people who honestly pay their state tax are equally honest in paying their federal tax.

C.Although federal tax delinquents usually must pay high financial penalties, the states require far lower financial penalties.

D. The state tax rate varies considerably from state to state, but the federal tax is levied according to laws which apply to citizens of all the states.

One for E, C does not make sense and is really out of scope. This is just a fact.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 45

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
samatace wrote:
gmihir wrote:

One for E, C does not make sense and is really out of scope. This is just a fact.

IMO its C, if delinquents are not paying for lower penalties in state, they shall certainly not pay for higher penalties in federal taxes.
For E, even if they had an oversight in state taxes, what makes it compelling that they will again have an oversight in Federal Taxes as well?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 25

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 01:28
ygdrasil24 wrote:
samatace wrote:
gmihir wrote:

IMO its C, if delinquents are not paying for lower penalties in state, they shall certainly not pay for higher penalties in federal taxes.
For E, even if they had an oversight in state taxes, what makes it compelling that they will again have an oversight in Federal Taxes as well?

With C we can say "ok, usually they would try to avoid paying federal taxes because of the high penalty, hence they are more likely to pay for state tax, however in this case they will not have any penalties for federal taxes". How come C is correct?? :?

E says that they tend to be forgetful to pay state taxes, hence they will forget to pay federal tax too (or any other kind of tax), so the federal government should not count on reducing the penalty because it doesn't affect the tax payers.

I picked E btw.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 21:23
This post received
KUDOS
Guys.. I think C makes sense.

Since federal penalty was high , it was more likely that more people have paid the federal taxes on time .
However, since the penalty on state taxes was low, it was more likely that people might have overlooked or chose not to pay.

Simple reasoning: If the punishment is harsh for a particular crime then that particular crime is committed less frequently.

This implies that state might have more revenue to collect then federal government.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 22:47
But this is a causal relationship "If the punishment is harsh for a particular crime then that particular crime is committed less frequently."
with the assumption that "All ppl commit crimes and will be punished".. Seems to be a far fetched statement.. IMO OA should be E...

Thoughts anyone???

rim200991 wrote:
Guys.. I think C makes sense.

Since federal penalty was high , it was more likely that more people have paid the federal taxes on time .
However, since the penalty on state taxes was low, it was more likely that people might have overlooked or chose not to pay.

Simple reasoning: If the punishment is harsh for a particular crime then that particular crime is committed less frequently.

This implies that state might have more revenue to collect then federal government.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [2] , given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
i will go with C. Below is the conclusion

However, economists projected that the federal government would collect a far lower percentage of total tax owed by delinquents than did state governments implementing similar programs.

Now we need to bear in mind that no amount of tax is pardoned, only penalty is pardoned. Had there been no amnesty program, tax collected will be Original tax + penalty.
Due to amnesty both state and federal govt is going to pardon the penalty.

Only if Federal penalty is higher than state penalty, the total tax collected by federal govt will be less than state govt.
Ans choice C mentions exactly the same thing.

As for E - chosen by around 60% respondents, here is my understanding.

We are looking for strengthener to conclusion : while E tells the reason for delinquency of federal and state tax..it no way gives us the reason to believe why Federal tax program will collect lesser amount.

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 222

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 07:37
whats the OA?
Can someone explain
Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2014, 07:37