Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 81 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (02:19) correct 33% (01:35) wrong based on 411 sessions
In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a tax amnesty program that
allows tax delinquents to pay all owed tax without added financial penalty. However,
economists projected that the federal government would collect a far lower percentage
of total tax owed by delinquents than did state governments implementing similar
programs.
Which of the following, if true, would most contribute to an explanation of the
economists’ projections?

A. Tax amnesty programs are only successful if they are widely publicized.
B. Most people who honestly pay their state tax are equally honest in paying their
federal tax.
C. Although federal tax delinquents usually must pay high financial penalties, the
states require far lower financial penalties.
D. The state tax rate varies considerably from state to state, but the federal tax is
levied according to laws which apply to citizens of all the states.
E. Unlike most federal tax delinquents, most state tax delinquents fail to pay state
tax because of an oversight rather than a decision not to pay.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
9 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 94 [9] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - tax amnesty [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:
E too,

I am really bad at this kind of question! Now my rule only is reading choice and eliminate according to the feeling. I know this skills risky. Do you have any tips?

Fist break out the premises and conclusion

Premise:
In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a tax amnesty program that
allows tax delinquents to pay all owed tax without added financial penalty.

Conclusion:
However, economists projected that the federal government would collect a far lower percentage of total tax owed by delinquents than did state governments implementing similar programs.

economists’ projections?

So we want to strengthen the argument that if the federal governemnt implements the same program they will collect lower taxes than what the state government did.

So before looking at the questions think for a second what you need. The answer should show why people would pay back more state taxes then they would federal taxes.

If you alread have this in mind before looking at the answers then you wont get distracted easily.

Does this give a reason why people would pay back state tax but not federal tax? No, so move on.

B. Most people who honestly pay their state tax are equally honest in paying their
federal tax.

This addresses people paying state and federal tax but it argues the opposite and weakens.

C. Although federal tax delinquents usually must pay high financial penalties, the

The fees will be abolished so this is irrelevant.

D. The state tax rate varies considerably from state to state, but the federal tax is

Doesn't address why people would pay more of one over the other.

E. Unlike most federal tax delinquents, most state tax delinquents fail to pay state

Bingo! The people who do not pay their state tax do so because they forget not because they were unwilling. These peopel would surely pay once they are reminded and given the opportunity to do it penalty free. It also implies that dont pay federal tax do so because they intentionally dont want to. These people are far less likely to repay once penalties are removed because they didn't want to pay in the first place when there were no penalties.

If you already have an ideal of what your looking for it is easier to spot in a crowd than if you just go through them one by one and decide if they make sense or not.
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 167 [3] , given: 4

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Milan & Tomas,

Let me see if I can help you both....

Answer C is not correct in my opinion because as previously stated the fees are being abolished. The question of whether there are more or less state/federal avoiders is in my opinion just speculation.

Answer E does strengthen, because whilst Milan may have a point that SOME State avoiders will forget again, overall it is more likely that becuase people have decided consciously to break the law that they will keep that same opinion even when faced with an amnesty. If people have forgotten, they're likely to be happy with the route out of their dilemma (because they normally want/are happy to pay tax).

Hope that helps.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - tax amnesty [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 11:43
saravalli wrote:
allows tax delinquents to pay all owed tax without added financial penalty. However,
economists projected that the federal government would collect a far lower percentage
of total tax owed by delinquents than did state governments implementing similar
programs.
economists’ projections?

federal tax.

E

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - tax amnesty [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 11:55
i think E as well
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - tax amnesty [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 21:17
OA?

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR - tax amnesty [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 22:55
E too,

I am really bad at this kind of question! Now my rule only is reading choice and eliminate according to the feeling. I know this skills risky. Do you have any tips?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - tax amnesty [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 05:35
OA: E Thanks :-D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - tax amnesty [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 17:54
I choose E.
Good question.

The choices narrow down to C or E.
But C talks about federal tax penalty while the premise states that the proposal will not impose penalty.
E states that people do not wish to pay federal tax irrespective of the incentive offered.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 06:35
According to me all answers were wrong including E. Because if state tax delinquents have forgot to pay the previous taxes, there may be high possibility that again they will forget.

Please somebody clarify my doubt.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 13:39
I have C for this one.

C--> Less penalties in the states implies more deliquents meaning more people to give amnesty

D--> As stated above, can be wrong if the deliquencies due to oversight can be lessened with the amnesty program.

Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 09:26
mymba99 wrote:
programs.
economists’ projections?

federal tax.

I would go with C... see the catch is in conclusion.."that the federal government would collect a far lower percentage
of total tax owed by delinquents
than did state governments implementing similar
programs."

Its about percentage of owed tax..lets say I owe 1000$ as tax and 1000$ as federal penalty-- it makes me me paying 50% of my owed tax
In case of State tax--tax is 1000$ and state penalty- 500%...it have to pay 66% of my owed tax.

Hope this helps. :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 02:29
rbansal6 wrote:
mymba99 wrote:
programs.
economists’ projections?

federal tax.

I would go with C... see the catch is in conclusion.."that the federal government would collect a far lower percentage
programs."

Its about percentage of owed tax..lets say I owe 1000$ as tax and 1000$ as federal penalty-- it makes me me paying 50% of my owed tax
In case of State tax--tax is 1000$ and state penalty- 500%...it have to pay 66% of my owed tax.

No C does not say that; On the contrary, it implies that as fines are lower for late payment of state tax,more people will pay federal tax which has higher fines.

OA must be E; As it implies that most unlike state tax delinquents, federal tax delinquents choose not to pay taxes.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 41

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 08:36
rbansal6 wrote:
mymba99 wrote:
programs.
economists’ projections?

federal tax.

programs."

Hi,

In option C, high financial penalties and low financial penalties are stated.However, the argument clearly mentions that in order to increase revenues,
a tax amnesty program includes tax without added financial penalty.

So, there would be no financial penalty.
So if federal give no financial penalty and states gives low financial penalty, people would prefer federal governments..

So, option C is wrong.

I don't understand why option D is incorrect and Option E correct.

In option E,
We don't know the no. of federal tax delinquents fail to pay federal tax compared with the no . of state tax delinquents who fail to pay because of an oversight rather than a decision not to pay.

Can someone explain why option D is incorrect and option E the correct answer??

Thanks,
Jai

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 09:11
jaituteja wrote:
rbansal6 wrote:
mymba99 wrote:
programs.
economists’ projections?

federal tax.

programs."

Hi,

In option C, high financial penalties and low financial penalties are stated.However, the argument clearly mentions that in order to increase revenues,
a tax amnesty program includes tax without added financial penalty.

So, there would be no financial penalty.
So if federal give no financial penalty and states gives low financial penalty, people would prefer federal governments..

So, option C is wrong.

I don't understand why option D is incorrect and Option E correct.

In option E,
We don't know the no. of federal tax delinquents fail to pay federal tax compared with the no . of state tax delinquents who fail to pay because of an oversight rather than a decision not to pay.

Can someone explain why option D is incorrect and option E the correct answer??

Thanks,
Jai

Hi,

It is clearly given "most delinquents" and the argument concludes lower percentage , so the number of tax delinquents is irrelevant here.

Regards,
Ramandeep

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 5

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 15:26
Initial reasoning: The federal government will employ a tax amnesty program that is similar to state government's tax amnesty program. It is expected that the federal government would not collect any higher percentage than the state government did. Thus, if the federal program is similar to the state program, then what is the difference between those who are willing to pay delinquent taxes for the state and those who are not willing to pay delinquent taxes for the federal government? The correct answer choice establishes a distinction, whereas the wrong answer choice does not distinguish anything among them.

A. Tax amnesty programs are only successful if they are widely publicized. Out of scope. This choice also doesn't make a distinction between the federal program and the state program.

B. Most people who honestly pay their state tax are equally honest in paying their federal tax. Out of scope. The correct answer depends upon those who don't pay their state taxes or those who don't pay their federal taxes.

C. Although federal tax delinquents usually must pay high financial penalties, the states require far lower financial penalties. Shell game. This answer choices supports a different conclusion, but this one is trap because it contains similar word choice as the stimulus.

D. The state tax rate varies considerably from state to state, but the federal tax is levied according to laws which apply to citizens of all the states. Out of scope. The difference among states doesn't matter, but the difference between the state program and the federal program.

E. Unlike most federal tax delinquents, most state tax delinquents fail to pay state tax because of an oversight rather than a decision not to pay. Correct

IMO E

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 43

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 23:32
PLUMBER250

MY QUESTION -- WHY IS "D" WRONG ?

D. The state tax rate varies considerably from state to state, but the federal tax is levied according to laws which apply to citizens of all the states.....WE NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS SOME DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO TAXATIONS WHICH LED TO SOME BEING RESPONDED TO AND SOME TO LESSER EXTENT......MAY BE THE FEDERAL TAX RATE IS MUCH HIGHER THAN THAT OF SOME STATES TAXATION, HENCE PEOPLE - THOUGH RECIPROCATE TO THE STATE TAX DO NOT DO SO FOR THE FEDERAL TAXES.....

THANKX.....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 62

Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 07:22
semwal wrote:
PLUMBER250

MY QUESTION -- WHY IS "D" WRONG ?

D. The state tax rate varies considerably from state to state, but the federal tax is levied according to laws which apply to citizens of all the states.....WE NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS SOME DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO TAXATIONS WHICH LED TO SOME BEING RESPONDED TO AND SOME TO LESSER EXTENT......MAY BE THE FEDERAL TAX RATE IS MUCH HIGHER THAN THAT OF SOME STATES TAXATION, HENCE PEOPLE - THOUGH RECIPROCATE TO THE STATE TAX DO NOT DO SO FOR THE FEDERAL TAXES.....

THANKX.....

D is go far away because as you said, ..MAY BE THE FEDERAL TAX RATE IS MUCH HIGHER THAN THAT OF SOME STATES TAXATION. What if the situation looks like this:

the tax rate of the state is A 60% B 20% C 80% D 30% (ave 47.5%) and the tax rate of the federal is 40%.

Yeah this is the opposite of your premise, but this one surely weaken your statement.

Besides, THE POINT HERE is NOT about the tax rate, you can't assume that the higher the tax rate, the lower percentage of people to pay the tax. In the stem we can't see this assumption.

While E explain or narrow the problem.Using comparison to state that the reason why people in STATE do not pay tax:OVERSIGHT, i,e, they are more likely to pay because they are not mean to delinquent.
Re: In order to raise revenue, the federal government planned a   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2014, 07:22