Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 03:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

Re: CR - oil Vs Gas prices [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 06:29
although I made a big mistake in the first attempt, I found the question lovely
I think this may appear on real test!
+1
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - oil Vs Gas prices [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 10:15
thanks!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - oil Vs Gas prices [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 14:47
grepro wrote:
The conclusion of the argument is that the next year fuel cost will be higher than this years which can only be true if the price of Natural gas will not fall.

Hence IMO C.

OA please?

The argument is about cost savings from last year to this year. C says the price of natural gas will NEVER rise which is out of scope and is talking about future prices which isn't in the argument.

I believe it is D.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: CR - oil Vs Gas prices [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 16:49
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
OA is D.

OE is
The conclusion of the argument is that "Company X's fuel costs this year will be significantly higher than they were last year. Why? Because some of the company's plants switched from oil to natural gas when the price of gas was lower, and now the price of gas has outstripped the price of oil. We are asked to find an assumption that is necessary for the argument to work.
(A) Whether Company X has the money to cover its costs does not affect the amount of those costs.
(B) We do not need to assume that the costs cannot be offset by reducing expenditures in other areas in order for Company X's costs to be higher.
(C) We do not need to assume that gas will never be cheaper than oil in order for Company X's costs
to be higher.
(D) CORRECT. The author does not take into account the fact that only "some" of the company's plants converted to natural gas. Some of the plants, then, still use oil, which is now cheaper. So in order to conclude that the company will have to spend more on fuel, the author must assume that the extra cost of the natural gas for the plants that converted is at least as much as the cost of the oil for the plants that did not.
(E) We do not need to assume that the price of oil will not suddenly rise in order for the argument to work.

I don't quite agree with the OA(or any other answer choices for that matter)

What if in 2009- you spent $100 on oil. Then you converted "some plants" mid laste year, and you are now spending $80 on oil and $10 on natural gas(thereby saving $10).

In 2010, say your costs for oil decreased to $60 and natural gas increased to $45, so you are spending $105 now. You are spending more than last year, and the cost of natural gas is LESSER than the cost of oil. How is the assumption D correct then?
You could be spending less on natural gas and more on oil, and still increase your fuel costs this year.

Is there a flaw in my reasoning?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - oil Vs Gas prices [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 19:07
I agree with D

Consider kudos for good explanations.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 11

Re: CR - oil Vs Gas prices [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 11:41
In case you have struggled with this question, then rest assured that it is not entirely your mistake..

Go through this link..
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/cri ... t1841.html

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - oil Vs Gas prices [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 08:09
I'm confused. The correct answer in an assumption question must be an assumption without which going from the premise to the conclusion is IMPOSSIBLE. But we can disregard the assumption in D and still come to the same conclusion. If you negate D, it will be against the explicit premise in the stimulus that now gas price is higher than oil price.
??????!?!??!??!?

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - oil Vs Gas prices [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 10:53
Agree with D. Nice question.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - oil Vs Gas prices [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 19:02
easy one D is the answer
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 21:49
D - prompt states Company's fuel costs will be higher so in order to do so the non natural gas plants need to be equal to or higher than the prior year's costs.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 165 [1] , given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 02:33
This post received
KUDOS
(D) The cost of fuel needed by those of Company X's plants that converted to natural gas is less than the cost of fuel needed by those plants still using oil.

Conclusion of this premise: Company X's fuel costs this year will be significantly higher than they were last year.

We know that some of plants converted to use gas fuel. Plants of company X belong to those converted plants

The remain plants now still use oil fuel, taking advantage of increased price of oil.

As we negate, the cost of fuel for company X (use oil > gas > oil respectively) < cost of oil fuel for remain plants. Weaken the argument. So, this is the assumption

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 00:28
D for me

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 75

Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 04:18
D is the right answer i agree with tuanquang269.

Such questions can be easily crossed check with POE method.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 24

Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 08:16
In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing plants converted from oil fuel to natural gas last year, when the cost of oil was more than the cost of natural gas. Because of a sudden, unexpected shortage, however, natural gas now costs more than oil, the price of which has fallen steeply over the past year. The cost of conversion back to oil would more than negate any cost savings in fuel. So Company X's fuel costs this year will be significantly higher than they were last year.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

(A) Company X does not have money set aside for the increased costs of fuel.

It's pretty obvious that this answer choice has nothing to do with the conclusion, which states that Company X's fuel costs this year will be significantly higher than they were last year.

(B) The increase in the cost of fuel cannot be offset by reductions in other operating expenses.

The conclusion is very specific about rising fuel bill . This answer choice deals with "total costs". It is very possible that fuel costs are the highest ever and the total costs are the lowest ever. Unlikely,but definitely possible

(C) The price of natural gas will never again fall below that of oil.

This is a very tricky answer choice. The conclusion talks about [b]total fuel costs for this year.
Assume that the company closes its financial books on Dec 31st. It is very possible that fuel prices crash in Dec 30 to their all time lows. Despite this possibility, the fuel costs for the company can be higher than last year
[/b]

(D) The cost of fuel needed by those of Company X's plants that converted to natural gas is not less than the cost of fuel needed by those plants still using oil.

A-Ha. Finally, we have an answer choice that addresses the real issue of "total fuel price". Just to be sure, let's negate this answer choice
The cost of fuel needed by those of Company X's plants that converted to natural gas is LESSthan the cost of fuel needed by those plants still using oil.
This shatters the conclusion. An assumption is an integral part of the argument. Negate the assumption and the conclusion falls apart like Romney in the presidential debate :-)

Total fuel costs Last year = Total Natural Gas Costs last year + Total Oil Costs last year
Total fuel costs this year = Total Natural Gas Costs this year + Total Oil Costs this year

Price of Natural Gas has significantly increased and price of Oil has gone down significantly.

If Total fuel costs this year needs to be significantly > Total fuel costs Last year, that implies
Total Natural Gas Costs this year >>> Total Oil Costs this year
Why ?
Because Total Oil Costs this year is much lesser than total oil cost last year.

(E) The price of oil will not experience a sudden and steep increase.

Do we really care about price of oil. Our comparison is the price of Natural Gas fuel this year Vs the price of oil LAST YEAR. This is like my neigbour winning a lottery. No material impact on my finances :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME AND TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 21:49
Probably, I'm the only one who don't understand how is D wrong. :P

But, here is my understanding.

According to the question. Company X is looking to reduce its fuel cost.

I failed to understand why is B wrong & D right. Please help.

negating B:

The increase in the cost of fuel can be offset by reductions in other operating expenses.

This breaks the argument. So B should be right.

As for D, how is the comparison between cost of fuel needed by oil & natural gas plants determine fuel cost higher or lower.
Wouldn't it had been better if it is comparing cost of fuel needed by natural gas plants this year with cost of fuel need by oil plants last year.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1102 [0], given: 118

Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 22:48
Maverick_Indian wrote:
Probably, I'm the only one who don't understand how is D wrong. :P

But, here is my understanding.

According to the question. Company X is looking to reduce its fuel cost.

I failed to understand why is B wrong & D right. Please help.

negating B:

The increase in the cost of fuel can be offset by reductions in other operating expenses.

This breaks the argument. So B should be right.

@ Maverick
B is wrong because we just compare "Company X's fuel costs", we do not compare operating expenses this year with that of last year. So the increase/decrease of Opex doesn't matter.

Maverick_Indian wrote:
As for D, how is the comparison between cost of fuel needed by oil & natural gas plants determine fuel cost higher or lower.
Wouldn't it had been better if it is comparing cost of fuel needed by natural gas plants this year with cost of fuel need by oil plants last year.

We need to compare cost of fuel needed by natural gas plants with cost of fuel need by oil plants THIS YEAR. Let analyze an example:

Company X has two plants A and B.
Last year: A (used natural gas) costs $5; B (used oil) costs $10 ==> Total fuel cost is $15
This year: Natural gas increases to $X, Oil increases to $15
A will cost $X, B will cost $15 ==> Total fuel cost is (X + 15)

If you compare cost of A this year ($X) with cost B LAST year ($10), it doesn't make sense. Okay, let say X = $12 (greater than cost of fuel need by oil plants LAST year) ==> total fuel cost this year = 12 + 15 = 27. If A switches to oil ==> Total fuel cost = 15 + 15 = 30 ==> Clearly, Company still saves if A still uses natural gas ==> You cannot say that "the total fuel will increase if cost of plants using natural gas this year is no less than that of plants using oil last year"

Okay, if you compare cost of A this year ($X) with cost B THIS year ($15). It makes more sense. let say X = $12 (less than cost of fuel need by oil plants this year) ==> total fuel cost this year = 12 + 15 = 27. If A switches to oil ==> Total fuel cost = 15 + 15 = 30 ==> The total fuel cost will not increase if cost of natural gas is LESS than that of oil this year. ==> The cost of fuel only increases if X > 15. This is what D says.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 13:52
You miss one word in these passages and your answer goes for a toss. missed reading "some" and marked E. D is straight after re-reading.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NTU '15 (S)
GPA: 3.08
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 00:45
I find the explanation given by most people ,who agree that D is correct ,is wrong.

We need to note that "cost of Natural gas" and "cost of natural gas required for the plant" are entirely different.It may happen that even though Natural gas is costly the overall cost of running the plant with natural gas for a year may be less than the cost of running a plant with oil.

:P i hope i make sense :)

MamtaKrishnia wrote:
In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing plants converted from oil fuel to natural gas last year, when the cost of oil was more than the cost of natural gas. Because of a sudden, unexpected shortage, however, natural gas now costs more than oil, the price of which has fallen steeply over the past year. The cost of conversion back to oil would more than negate any cost savings in fuel. So Company X's fuel costs this year will be significantly higher than they were last year.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

(A) Company X does not have money set aside for the increased costs of fuel.
(B) The increase in the cost of fuel cannot be offset by reductions in other operating expenses.
(C) The price of natural gas will never again fall below that of oil.
(D) The cost of fuel needed by those of Company X's plants that converted to natural gas is not less than the cost of fuel needed by those plants still using oil.
(E) The price of oil will not experience a sudden and steep increase.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 22:09
Consider all in all 10 plants.

Last year

Oil=6
Gas=4

Total Cost = 6O1 + 4G1 (Knowing O1>G1)

This year

Total cost = 6O2+ 4G2 (Knowing G2>O2)

Since price of Gas increased and that of oil decreased we can take values as below:

O1=2 , G1=1
O2=1, G2=2

Substituting

Last year TC = 16
This year TC = 14 This year < Last year

(D). 6O2 >= 4G2 => 6 > 8 but 6 < 8

So for This year > Last year

take O2=2, G2=3

6O2=12
4G2=12

Total cost This year =24
Last Year = 16

Hence (D)

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: In order to save money, some of Company X's manufacturing   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2013, 22:09