Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 13:39
explaining a paradox type of question...E is the answer
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 17:14
Simply E

Posted from my mobile device Image

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 22:03
E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 08:37
mailpravs wrote:
Its E.

+1 E

There's not enough time for the population to grow
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 17:13
Misreading gave me the wrong answer. damn
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 10:37
opps...its E

Aim 720+

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 10:38
what is the source

Aim 720+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 27

Re: juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 22:39
A straight E, I think.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 22:37
Simply E

Posted from my mobile device Image

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 43

Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 12:30
I am still not convinced with the explanation. Sure E is best out of the lot but I dn't agree with the reasoning. Any more thoughts on this?

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 52

Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 14:50
chose B :(

Sky is the limit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 17:28
E explain why there are less barnacles on the shell of the crab, it is not because sand or tidal wave strenght but because the crab 'shed their shells and grow new ones several times a year'
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 03:15
Between A and E chose A,should have read more carefully.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 06:11
This is an Explain the Paradox question type!

Premises:
- juvenile horseshoe crabs frequestly burrow in sand to withstand tidal currents
- burrowing discourages barnacles from clinging to juvie's shells
- fully grown horseshoe crabs can readily withstand tidal currents without burrowing and therefore acquire substancial populations of barnacles

Conc:
- in areas where tidal currents are weak, juvenile horshoe crabs found not ot have significant barnacle populations, even though theyy seldom burrow

a) we already know that BURROWING does. this does not explain anything.
b) then there should be MORE barnacles on their shells.. opp direction
c) tempting but doesn't FULL explain... what is the range of this strength? doesn't really answer our discrepancy
d) out of scope.
e) bingo! if horse shoe crabs are shedding their shells and growing new ones, this w ould explain why we didnt find significant barnacles on their shells even though they weren't burrowing.

Answer is E
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 11:53
noboru wrote:
In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe crabs frequently burrow in the sand. Such burrowing discourages barnacles from clinging to their shells. When fully grown, however, the crabs can readily withstand tidal currents without burrowing, and thus they acquire substantial populations of barnacles. Surprisingly, in areas where tidal currents are very weak, juvenile horseshoe crabs are found not to have significant barnacle populations, even though they seldom burrow.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding?

(A) Tidal currents do not themselves dislodge barnacles from the shells of horseshoe crabs.
(B) Barnacles most readily attach themselves to horseshoe crabs in areas where tidal currents are weakest.
(C) The strength of the tidal currents in a given location varies widely over the course of a day.
(D) A very large barnacle population can significantly decrease the ability of a horseshoe crab to find food.
(E) Until they are fully grown, horseshoe crabs shed their shells and grow new ones several times a year.

I had a really hard time understanding Choice A. I'm wondering if my thought process is correct in disqualifying A now.

Here's how I understand the argument:
- high tidal waves --> more burrowing for juvenile horseshoe crabs --> decreased barnacles
BUT ALSO
- low tidal waves --> less burrowing for juvenile horseshoe crabs --> decreased barnacles
how can this be?

A. Tells us that the water tides don't matter. So the less or more barnacle populations have to do with burrowing then (given the premises). So we are left with the situation where:
- more burrowing --> less barnacle population
- less burrowing --> less barnacle population
So...we still have a paradox.

Is this accurate?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 23:57
A really good question. Going through the above posts I understand that this one is from OG12. Took me a really long time at close to 3 mins to reach E. I had to re-read the question stem to resolve this one.

The key to this question is spotting the word "Juvenile". The last statement is about the "juvenile" crabs and not the full grown ones. This makes the statement about full-grown crabs not having to burrow irrelevant in the given argument.

E correctly gives us a reason as to why not a large population of barnacles was not found i.e. since the juvenile crabs shed their shells regularly till full grown.

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 00:09
dpvtank wrote:
noboru wrote:
In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe crabs frequently burrow in the sand. Such burrowing discourages barnacles from clinging to their shells. When fully grown, however, the crabs can readily withstand tidal currents without burrowing, and thus they acquire substantial populations of barnacles. Surprisingly, in areas where tidal currents are very weak, juvenile horseshoe crabs are found not to have significant barnacle populations, even though they seldom burrow.

(A) Tidal currents do not themselves dislodge barnacles from the shells of horseshoe crabs.
(B) Barnacles most readily attach themselves to horseshoe crabs in areas where tidal currents are weakest.
(C) The strength of the tidal currents in a given location varies widely over the course of a day.
(D) A very large barnacle population can significantly decrease the ability of a horseshoe crab to find food.
(E) Until they are fully grown, horseshoe crabs shed their shells and grow new ones several times a year.

I had a really hard time understanding Choice A. I'm wondering if my thought process is correct in disqualifying A now.

Here's how I understand the argument:
- high tidal waves --> more burrowing for juvenile horseshoe crabs --> decreased barnacles
BUT ALSO
- low tidal waves --> less burrowing for juvenile horseshoe crabs --> decreased barnacles
how can this be?

A. Tells us that the water tides don't matter. So the less or more barnacle populations have to do with burrowing then (given the premises). So we are left with the situation where:
- more burrowing --> less barnacle population
- less burrowing --> less barnacle population
So...we still have a paradox.

Is this accurate?

Let me take a dig at trying to explain the answer choice.

Choice A says that the tidal ways do not dislodge the barnacles from the crab-shells. Thus high or low tidal waves should not make a difference in the population of barnacles, instead burrowing should make all the difference i.e. less burrowing = more barnacles and vice-versa.

Hence in low tidal waves areas the juvenile crabs would burrow less hence ideally the population of barnacles on the juvenile crabs should be larger. However this is contrary to the observed phenomenon i.e. in low tidal areas the barnacle population on juvenile crabs was not found to be larger. Thus option A does not help us resolve the paradox. Hence A can be eliminated.

Hope this helps.

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 03:47
I also selected E as the answer but i have a small doubt . what if the there are fully grown crabs in the weak tidal current area also , then choice e would not hold true because according to the answer choice fully grown crabs won't shed their shells. also in the premise the fully grown crabs have the maximum barnicles. do we have to assume that the weak tidal area do not have a substantial population of fully grown crabs ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 12

Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 22:27

This is more of a resolve the paradox question. Here E gives us a clear explanation of why the finding is surprised.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 05:15
The paradox is about the juvenile crabs only. Information about Adults is given to highlight that tidal currents causes juveniles to burrow --> burrowing leads to shedding of barnacle population. Essentially, the argument attributes the lack of barnacle population on juvenile crabs to the act of burrowing.

However, there is a paradox because even in weak tidal current areas where burrowing does not happen, the lack of barnacle population on juvenile crabs is observed.

How to resolve the paradox? By attributing the lack of barnacle population on juvenile crabs to something else than the tidal currents. Choice E solves that. If there is some other reason than what is assumed, then the paradox is solved!
Re: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2013, 05:15