Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In parts of South America, vitamin-A deficiency is a serious

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 142 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
In parts of South America, vitamin-A deficiency is a serious [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 22:53
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:00) correct 41% (00:59) wrong based on 27 sessions
In parts of South America, vitamin-A deficiency is a serious health problem, especially among children. In one region, agriculturists hope to improve nutrition by encouraging farmers to plant a new variety of sweet potato called SPK004 that is rich in betacarotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. The plan has good chances of success, since sweet potato is a staple of the region's diet and agriculture, and the varieties currently grown contain little beta-carotene.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the plan will succeed?

a) There are other vegetables currently grown in the region that contain more beta-carotene than the currently cultivated varieties of sweet potato do.

b) The flesh of SPK004 differs from that of the currently cultivated sweet potatoes in colors and textures, so traditional foods would look somewhat different when prepared from SPK004.

c) For successful cultivation of SPK004, a soil significantly richer in nitrogen is needed than is needed for the varieties of sweet potato currently cultivated in the region.

d) There are no other varieties of sweet potato that are significantly richer in beta-carotene than SPK004 is.

e) The currently cultivated varieties of sweet potato contain no important nutrients that SPK004 lacks.

OA is e. I kind of got why the answer is e, but still wondering why not d!!!!
Because in the passage, only currently cultivatd varieties of sweet potato and SPK004 are mentioned?
So d is out of scope?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: South America [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 01:30
Because, probably A vitamin is not the only important part of nutrition. And since we don't know anything about other nutrition facts from D - this answer is wrong. But we can get such information from E. I explained this answer for myself in a similar manner :)
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: South America [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 04:28
D uses very strong word "no" and we cannot conclude

E says about nutrients so it means it has vitamins

but i was too forced to mark D as i thought E was wrong because it speaks about nutrients

Is the OA E?

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: South America [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 13:18
D is incorrect because it says that no other plant is richer. we are not concerned about who is richer and who is not.

Sky is the limit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: South America [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 21:17
D also supports predicition, but E does a better job.
Suppose you are the desion maker, you would tend to chose the option which is less risky. That's exactly why E is beyond D
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: South America [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 07:24
albert211 wrote:
D also supports predicition, but E does a better job.
Suppose you are the desion maker, you would tend to chose the option which is less risky. That's exactly why E is beyond D

Got it
D is wrong because it does compare with other sweet potatoes, but here the context is "currently grown" potatoes

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: South America [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 07:02
d) There are no other varieties of sweet potato that are significantly richer in beta-carotene than SPK004 is.

Choice D seems is the conclusion rather than supporter, although half part still in support :P. E is stronger. D also does not mention in the scope of argument. So, wrong

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: South America [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 16:24
[quote="eybrj2"]In parts of South America, vitamin-A deficiency is a serious health problem, especially among children. In one region, agriculturists hope to improve nutrition by encouraging farmers to plant a new variety of sweet potato called SPK004 that is rich in betacarotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. The plan has good chances of success, since sweet potato is a staple of the region's diet and agriculture, and the varieties currently grown contain little beta-carotene.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the plan will succeed?

a) There are other vegetables currently grown in the region that contain more beta-carotene than the currently cultivated varieties of sweet potato do.

b) The flesh of SPK004 differs from that of the currently cultivated sweet potatoes in colors and textures, so traditional foods would look somewhat different when prepared from SPK004.

c) For successful cultivation of SPK004, a soil significantly richer in nitrogen is needed than is needed for the varieties of sweet potato currently cultivated in the region.

d) There are no other varieties of sweet potato that are significantly richer in beta-carotene than SPK004 is. Negating:There are some other varieties of sweet potato that are significantly richer in beta-carotene than SPK004 is.It does not weaken the conclusion actually.

e) The currently cultivated varieties of sweet potato contain no important nutrients that SPK004 lacks.
negating E;The currently cultivated varieties of sweet potato contain some important nutrients that SPK004 lacks.Hence introduction of new SPK 004 may lead to other nutrient deficiency among children.So this plan is not a good option and E will be the correct answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: South America [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 19:51
e
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: South America [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 21:01
straight E.

only D and E comes close.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 4

Re: South America [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 22:07
I chose D as my answer too, but I main issue if whether or not SPK004 will be successful. For it to be successful it be be better in every way when compared to the current sweet potatoes grown. So that's how I am understanding why E is correct.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: South America [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 21:02
+1 E
It says by growing SPK004 we don't miss on any imp nutrient which the present variety has...so kinda strengtning ...

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: South America [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 23:48
+1 for E,if other sweet potatoes are discarded in preference to SPK004 then too body of the children will not lack any nutrients as SPK004 covers all the nutrients which are in the other sweet potatoes.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: South America [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 02:56
I would also go with E rest all can be ruled out
Re: South America   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2012, 02:56