Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Patton City, days are categorized as having heavy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

In Patton City, days are categorized as having heavy [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 01:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

32% (03:05) correct 67% (01:56) wrong based on 55 sessions
In Patton City, days are categorized as having heavy rainfall (more than two inches), moderate rainfall (more than
one inch, but no more than two inches), light rainfall (at least a trace, but no more than one inch), or no rainfall.
In 1990, there were fewer days with light rainfall than in 1910 and fewer with moderate rainfall, yet total rainfall
for the year was 20 percent higher in 1990 than in 1910. If the statements above are true, then it is also
possible that in Patton City
A. the number of days with heavy rainfall was lower in 1990 than in 1910
B. the number of days with some rainfall, but no more than two inches, was the same in 1990 as in 1910
C. the number of days with some rainfall, but no more than two inches, was higher in 1990 than in 1910
D. the total number of inches of rain that fell on days with moderate rainfall in 1990 was more than twice what it
had been in 1910
E. the average amount of rainfall per month was lower in 1990 than in 1910

I cant seem to understand why the answer is what it is.. i have the reasoning available with me will post this soon..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 8

Re: Flaw question - very confusing! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
arjun206 wrote:
In Patton City, days are categorized as having heavy rainfall (more than two inches), moderate rainfall (more than
one inch, but no more than two inches), light rainfall (at least a trace, but no more than one inch), or no rainfall.
In 1990, there were fewer days with light rainfall than in 1910 and fewer with moderate rainfall, yet total rainfall
for the year was 20 percent higher in 1990 than in 1910. If the statements above are true, then it is also
possible that in Patton City
A. the number of days with heavy rainfall was lower in 1990 than in 1910
B. the number of days with some rainfall, but no more than two inches, was the same in 1990 as in 1910
C. the number of days with some rainfall, but no more than two inches, was higher in 1990 than in 1910
D. the total number of inches of rain that fell on days with moderate rainfall in 1990 was more than twice what it
had been in 1910
E. the average amount of rainfall per month was lower in 1990 than in 1910

I cant seem to understand why the answer is what it is.. i have the reasoning available with me will post this soon..

Coming to choice A, Can the number of days of heavy rainfall be lower in 1990 than in 1910? It is possible because even if the number of days of heavy rainfall was lower, the rainfall could have been lot more heavier on those days making the total rainfall for the year more. Let us keep this choice.

Choice B and C are not possible because they directly contradict the information given that there are fewer number of days of both light and moderate rainfall in 1990 than in 1910.

Choice D contradicts the definition of moderate rainfall as moderate rainfall on any two days by definition has to vary by less than twice.

Choice E is also not possible because if total rainfall for a year was higher than that of another year, then the average rainfall per month for that year also has to be higher than that of the other year.

So Choice A should be the answer.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
sravna@gmail.com

Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com
Online courses and 1-on-1 Online Tutoring for the GMAT and the GRE

Re: Flaw question - very confusing!   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2012, 02:27