Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, Yale, HEC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

Re: In recent years cattle breeders [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 08:27
guys, I think the main issue here is TIME. I guess this question will not be hard at all for most of you if you're not in the exam room, trying to save time on every easy question.

If the answer E were ordered before D, then, I guess, it would be much easier for everybody. My point is, in order to achieve high performance on the real test, just quickly double check every answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: In recent years cattle breeders [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 23:32
Even though I have attended this question 3 times, I made the same mistake all the three times.

Step 1: Identify the question as the one which is related to parallelism
Step 2: the second clause of the sentence says "partly because". So lets eliminate option (A) and option (B).
Step 3: Let's try to match word to word for parallelism among options (C), (D) and (E). It looks like (C) and (D) are better matches
Step 4: In options (C) and (D), the verb in the underlined clause is not matching the verb in the second clause.
Step 5: Lets re-evaluate option (E). It has the perfect match of the verb i.e "acquire" with "provide".

So, option (E) is the best.

While answering this question, I had a lot of trouble because "because" is not there in option (E) which made my choice a lot difficult.

Even though I had answered this question wrongly, I later learnt that GMAT sometimes offsets complete parallelism.
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 899 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: In recent years cattle breeders [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 17:26
rohansherry wrote:
204. In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.
(A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
(B) in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
(C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
(D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers

Cattle breeders have used crossbreeding to acquire certain characteristics in their steers.

Didn't these guys get a better phrases than "to acquire"; something like "to infuse". Either way, I couldn't have answered it correctly. "D" was too good to reject.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.94
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 04:26
I finally know even options like D fit in perfectly in structure, but E, though unparallel, is ultimately the correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 05:09
My learning:
Got to take meaning in to consideration as well. I picked E first. it sounded better but chose C because E wasn't (obviously) parallel but C seemed to even though meaning was awkward. Thanks for the explanation T :)

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 18

Re: In recent years cattle breeders [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 01:55
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

What an annoying question! I was asked to take this on by private message, and I see why it's bothered so many of you. Let's discuss

204. In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should
acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

The thing to remember about PARALLELISM (which is the issue here) is that it is ALL about the parallel markers. You're more concerned with the single word that comes after the parallel marker. From there, things get iffy. The parallel marker here is AND, and the word after it is PARTLY. That's your parallelism. You gotta have another "partly".

(A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
PROBLEM: Both the "partly" issue and the "should". This isn't about what "should" happen. The breeders do it SO THAT the steer will acquire certain characteristics.

(B) in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
PROBLEM: Both the "partly" issue and an odd idiom. You don't do something "for the acquisition" of something else, but "in order to acquire" something else.

(C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
PROBLEM: They don't do it "because of their steers acquiring..." that sounds like they crossbreed AFTER the steers have acquired the characteristics. But they do it IN ORDER that the steers might acquire the characteristics.

(D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
PROBLEM: I know we all want this one because it says "partly because" and doesn't sound as bad as C, but the "should" is still a meaning issue. There's no question of SHOULD here. The issue is meaning. The breeders crossbreed because they WANT something to happen.

(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers
ANSWER: Yes, I know it isn't as parallel as we'd like. It would be nice to say "partly to X" and "partly to Y" OR "partly because of X" and "partly because of Y". But we don't get that option. This is still parallel enough (with the two "partly"s), and from there it's all about meaning.

Tough one! Hope that helps.

-tommy

Partly to acquire characteristics sounds like breeders would acquire the characteristics. No?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2013, 13:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 26

Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 08:49
"to acquire" in e is caused by subject "breeder". this is correct
"for acquisition" in b refers to a general action which is not caused by any noun in the main clause. this is not logic.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2013, 08:49