Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 17:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

44% (01:56) correct 55% (00:54) wrong based on 281 sessions
In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their aging, inefficient fleets for a smaller number of efficient new airplanes, in part because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced and partly because low entry barriers for new carriers have created intense competition.

(A) in part because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced

(B) in part that high fuel costs might be lowered and repair costs might be reduced

(C) partly because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced your answer

(D) partly for the lowering of high fuel costs and the reduction of repair costs

(E) partly to lower high fuel prices and reduce repair costs

Hi guys,

Shouldn't (E) be "to lower... AND to reduce" to be parallel? Why is it optional? I picked C because of it has explicit parallel structure even though it sounds very awkward!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by DYNAMITE on 05 Jul 2011, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [2] , given: 38

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 00:55
This post received
KUDOS
DYNAMITE wrote:
In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their aging, inefficient fleets for a smaller number of efficient new airplanes, in part because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced and partly because low entry barriers for new carriers have created intense competition.

(A) in part because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced

(B) in part that high fuel costs might be lowered and repair costs might be reduced

(C) partly because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced your answer

(D) partly for the lowering of high fuel costs and the reduction of repair costs

Hi guys,

Shouldn't (E) be "to lower... AND to reduce" to be parallel? Why is it optional? I picked C because of it has explicit parallel structure even though it sounds very awkward!

its easy to eliminate A,B looking at the non underlined part..among C,D & E

(C) partly because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced your answer - should is a subjunctive verb and can not be used when the intent is definite. Here the fleets are replaced to reducefuel cost..... not that fleets are reduced because fuel cost should be reduced...

(D) partly for the lowering of high fuel costs and the reduction of repair costs - this is not the best construction

(E) partly to lower high fuel prices and reduce repair costs -Correct

B is wrong -
we do x to achieve y.
we do x so that y should be achieved. (Is the difference visible??)

E- is right-

infinitives are used in two ways-

1. to do,to think,to make and to reach.
2. to do,think,make and reach.

either to should be used with every verb in the list or should be used only once in the beginning of the list.

to do,make,think and to reach - this is an incorrect construction.

Hope this helps! :)

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Last edited by yashii9 on 05 Oct 2012, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 1071 [2] , given: 118

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 14:01
This post received
KUDOS
Meaning is key to solve this question. Grammar alone is not enough.

Wrong.
- Not parallel: in part vs partly
- Incorrect meaning: The intended meaning is that the trouble airlines exchanged old fleets to lower THEIR costs. The sentence, however, says they exchanged old fleets to new ones because high fuel costs (in general) should be lowered. That's does not make sense. If high fuel costs will be lowered, these troubled airlines will NOT need to exchange their old fleets. They exchanged old fleets to new ones because they need to lower THEIR high fuel costs to create competitive advantage.

Wrong.
- Not parallel: in part vs partly
- Incorrect meaning: same as A.

Wrong. SHELL GAME.
If you just base on grammars and picked C, you got the sentence wrong because C conveys WRONG meaning. See explanation on A.

Wrong.
- we should use verb rather than the noun form of it. Verbs always convey better meaning and are more precise.

Correct.
- Parallelism: partly || partly
- Correct meaning: exchange old fleets to new ones TO lower costs.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Parallelism [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 19:37
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is E.
C is wordy and thus eliminated
Consider this :
Mary likes to eat and dance. ("We can share the infinitive form b/w the two verbs")
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: Parallelism [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 18:08
I agree. It should be " partly TO lower high fuel prices and TO reduce repair costs".

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelism [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 18:30
Can anyone explain... why E and not C???
I also thought it to be C...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Re: Parallelism [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 09:39
DYNAMITE wrote:

Hi guys,

No, it is still parallel because you cut off at the same point for each item on the list:

PARTLY TO

1. lower fuel costs
2. reduce repair costs

Parallelism is not just about making two items in a list look stylistically and logically similar. It is about splitting off at the same point for each item.

This may help you visualize the concept: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/diagrams2/diagram10.htm

Nicholas MOSES

GMAT/Academic Manager
c/o MBA Center Paris

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelism [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 10:40
DYNAMITE wrote:

Hi guys,

Has to E.
you dont need to repeat the infinitive again because of the usage of conjunction 'and'.
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelism [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 11:57
DYNAMITE wrote:

Hi guys,

I have a doubt. The two parallel elements that i am comparing have been higlighted below- 'partly to' and 'partly because'. Shouldn't both the parallel elements start with partly because as in option 'C'?
partly to lower high fuel prices and reduce repair costs and partly because low entry barriers for new carriers have created intense competition.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 62

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 00:28
Can someone please explain reasons to eliminate C ?
Why E is better over C in terms of parallelism ?

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 62

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 07:16
Quote:
should is a subjective verb and can not be used when the intent is definite

Can you please throw more light on the acceptable usage of SHOULD ?

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 38

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 08:25
anshunadir wrote:
Quote:
should is a subjective verb and can not be used when the intent is definite

Can you please throw more light on the acceptable usage of SHOULD ?

B is wrong -
we do x to achieve y.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q V

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 07:59

"lower fuel prices" changes the meaning of the original sentence. The costs are lower, not prices. This would make letter E wrong. What do you think?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 11:16
brunoocosta wrote:

"lower fuel prices" changes the meaning of the original sentence. The costs are lower, not prices. This would make letter E wrong. What do you think?

IMO E

The intent is to lower the fuel costs that are incurred, so "lower fuel prices" is correct. Prices can be lower or higher.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 17:19
i cannot understand why lowerin prices is used here,clearly lowerin costs n lowerin prices are two different things, changes the whole meaning .
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 1071 [0], given: 118

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 17:38
jakelong1 wrote:
i cannot understand why lowerin prices is used here,clearly lowerin costs n lowerin prices are two different things, changes the whole meaning .

Hi Jake
In this context, "prices" also means costs. Let imagine, the old airplanes will require special fuel that is more expensive than the normal fuel. The troubled airlines exchanged the old fleets to new fleets, thus they don't have to pay for higher prices (of special fuel).

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Insead '13 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 09:11
I still disagree. I don't think there is special fuel in real life. Fuel efficiency is the only thing that changes. In this context, the company doesn't lower prices. Prices are fixed by world supply and demand. They merely lower the volume, and consequently the cost they actually incur. This answer seems wrong.

pqhai wrote:
jakelong1 wrote:

Hi Jake
In this context, "prices" also means costs. Let imagine, the old airplanes will require special fuel that is more expensive than the normal fuel. The troubled airlines exchanged the old fleets to new fleets, thus they don't have to pay for higher prices (of special fuel).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 07:06
yashii9 wrote:
DYNAMITE wrote:

Hi guys,

its easy to eliminate A,B looking at the non underlined part..among C,D & E

(C) partly because high fuel costs should be lowered and repair costs should be reduced your answer - should is a subjunctive verb and can not be used when the intent is definite. Here the fleets are replaced to reducefuel cost..... not that fleets are reduced because fuel cost should be reduced...

(D) partly for the lowering of high fuel costs and the reduction of repair costs - this is not the best construction

(E) partly to lower high fuel prices and reduce repair costs -Correct

B is wrong -
we do x to achieve y.

E- is right-

infinitives are used in two ways-

1. to do,to think,to make and to reach.
2. to do,think,make and reach.

either to should be used with every verb in the list or should be used only once in the beginning of the list.

to do,make,think and to reach - this is an incorrect construction.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for clarifying. I chose B as I was blindly trying to make them parallel. One should keep the meaning in mind while making the elements parallel. When infinitive is used, it conveys the intention and that is a big signal to consider while picking up the answer choices.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 05:35
DYNAMITE wrote:

Hi guys,

Dude, follow the rules on posting.

Re: In recent years, troubled airlines have exchanged their   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2013, 05:35