Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [334]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [180]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [45]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequent [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
ugimba wrote:
In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit.

(A) In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that

(B) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about

(C) When referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety about

(D) With reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about

(E) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety that

I am able to eliminate A, C, D options based on the modifier (Referring) but I am not able to decide between B and E.

so every new clause (should)starts with a 'that' after a clause? can some one explain me this concept?

Anxiety is causing something in a way. It's leading to their prospects are being stunted.

Smokers expressed anxiety about their prospects are being stunted.

Smokers expressed anxiety that their prospects are being stunted.

We need a "that", not an "about"

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that by referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Grammatical Construction + Tenses

• The simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• “when” is used to refer to a point in time.
• Prepositions must refer to nouns.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb “expressed” to refer to an action that takes place in the current time frame, as evidenced by the use of the phrase “current hostility”; please remember, the simple present tense is used to refer to actions taking place in the current time frame, and the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb “expressed” to refer to an action that takes place in the current time frame, as evidenced by the use of the phrase “current hostility”; please remember, the simple present tense is used to refer to actions taking place in the current time frame, and the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the preposition “about” to refer to the clause “their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit”; remember, prepositions must refer to nouns.

C: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “When referring”; the use of “when” incorrectly implies that smokers express anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit, specifically at the point in time when they refer to the current hostility toward smoking; the intended meaning of this sentence is that by referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit; remember, "when" is only used to refer to a point in time. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the preposition “about” to refer to the clause “their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit”; remember, prepositions must refer to nouns.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb “expressed” to refer to an action that takes place in the current time frame, as evidenced by the use of the phrase “current hostility”; please remember, the simple present tense is used to refer to actions taking place in the current time frame, and the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the preposition “about” to refer to the clause “their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit”; remember, prepositions must refer to nouns.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the simple present tense verb “express” to refer to an action that takes place in the current time frame, as evidenced by the use of the phrase “current hostility”. Further, Option E uses the phrase “Referring to the current hostility toward smoking”, conveying the intended meaning of the sentence- that by referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit. Additionally, Option E correctly uses the conjunction “that” to refer to the clause “their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit”.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Anderson
Send PM
Re: In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequent [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think the answer is E.

it should be "smokers frequently express.."

clause doesn't need to start with a "that" always.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [5]
Given Kudos: 33
 Q50  V27 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V35
GPA: 8.13
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit.

(A) In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that
Incorrect: Here reference means a basis to.....this is better in reference to ___

(B) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about
Incorrect : Here Referring means.. When the topic of discusson Hostility toward smoking....the smokers expressed....But the expressed makes the sentence in past...which breaks the rule of tense here.Hence Incorrect.

(C) When referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety about
Incorrect: Here the sentence implies that smokers themselves are referring to something. This sentence changes the original meaning of sentence and hence renders it difficult to accept.

(D) With reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about
Incorrect: Same problem which was present in option A.

(E) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety that
COrrect: Here the sentence justifies its meaning. You can read it like....when referring to XYZ..the smokers said ABC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hmn,

Is B written as they are, grammatically incorrect? Or we just think that it has to be in the present tense?

Because if B is not grammatically incorrect as it is then I think we should follow A when compare the meaning, the original sentence want us to treat the first part in the past tense and I think we should respect that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [3]
Given Kudos: 33
 Q50  V27 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V35
GPA: 8.13
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Send PM
Kudos
@gautrang : Your concern is justified and I see the pointers you are raising.
But I think, Present tense is justified for quoting any fact or opinion.Use the Simple Present to express the idea that an action is repeated or usual. The action can be a habit, a hobby, a daily event, a scheduled event or something that often happens.
The Simple Present can also indicate the speaker believes that a fact was true before, is true now, and will be true in the future.
Please correct me if I am mistaken. This tense concept is getting on the nerves !!! :(
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: 397. In reference to OR refering to ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Good discussion on this one! Interestingly, the title of the post asks whether we need "in reference to" or "referring to," but we can actually get to the correct answer with totally different errors. It's easy to get hung up on one distinction among answer choices, but don't forget that there is often more than one issue at work -- if you feel stuck, try looking for other errors.

roshanaslam correctly notes that we need the present tense to describe the "current" event, which leaves us with C and E. Between those two answer choices, there's another error that nobody has mentioned yet: "anxiety ABOUT" versus "anxiety THAT." Idiomatically, a person feels anxious THAT an event will happen or is happening.
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: 397. In reference to OR refering to ? [#permalink]
Kudos