Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 19:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 18:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

51% (01:54) correct 49% (00:50) wrong based on 114 sessions
In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for remaining profitable are being limited by their antiquated business model.

* (A) In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that
* (B) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
* (C) When referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety about
* (D) With reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
* (E) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that

OA After Discussion!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Postal Services [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 18:21
E - Who is referring to email? postal services.. and they are doing it in the present. so present tense

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Postal Services [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 19:23
Is the usage of "With reference" wrong in D ?

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Postal Services [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 23:53
I think E is the best option.

B,C,D can be eliminated due to their use of 'about'.

Between A & E, I choose E becasuse 'Referring to' is parallel to 'are being limited'.

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 890 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Postal Services [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 01:06
anxiety about is definitely wrong, but I m stuck between A and E.

Though E looks good but I do not see why A is wrong.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 37

Re: Postal Services [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 11:21
Is "anxiety...about" a wong usage?
If not, then my option is D.

Thanks,
VP

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Re: Postal Services [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 12:50
Why is anxiety "about" wrong? You can't have anxiety "about" an upcoming exam? Is it "over" or "regarding" or something?

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Postal Services [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 13:00
NewSc2 wrote:
Why is anxiety "about" wrong? You can't have anxiety "about" an upcoming exam? Is it "over" or "regarding" or something?

- expressed anxiety about their prospects ...
- expressed anxiety that their prospects ...
=> the use of about here distorts meaning. if you read the sentence with about it sounds like the postal services were not anxious because their prospects...
If I'll use your example "anxious about the exam" I can transfer it to "anxious that the exam will be hard"
you can see that the two sentences mean two different things. in the first you are probably anxious because the exam date is nearing or something like that. In the second you are anxious because you think that the exam will be hard and not because anything else.
Hope that helps..

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Postal Services [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 14:28
A is wrong due to awkward use of "in reference" to ...and the tense.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1422 [2] , given: 245

Re: Postal Services [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 02:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
First of all a few concepts:

This is a generalization. Use of present tesnse ‘express' is the most proper way of describing the verb . So choices that use ‘expressed. i.e., A, B, and D are out.

Between B and E: Use of ‘when referring to’ restricts the meaning to the narrow timing of reference, or even granting whenever the reference is made to . The generalization is however broader than that and hence the use of 'referring to' is mor appropriate. That takes E as the choice.

‘In reference to’ is a wrong idiom; ‘with reference to’ or referring to is the accepted version.

When you use a preposition such as ‘about’, you should follow it up with a noun or noun phrase ( without a working verb). In D the prepistion ‘ about’ is followed by a full clause ‘ their prospects for remaining profitable are being limited by their antiquated business model.’ This is grammatically in correct.

On the contrary, E uses a proper subordinate connector ‘that ‘ to introduce the subordinate clause. Hence E is grammatically correct.

Interestingly, here is a similar 1000 SC version. Q. N0. 397

397. In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit.
(A) In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that
(B) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about
(C) When referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety about
(D) With reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about
(E) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety that

Needless to say, the answer choice is E here also.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 20

In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 13:43
In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for remaining profitable are being limited by their antiquated business model.

1) In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that
2) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
3) When referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety about
4) With reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
5) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that

can some one help me understand the rule for 'about' vs. 'that' in the above sentence.

Last edited by agdimple333 on 11 Jul 2011, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [2] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Use of about vs that [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
IMO, E.

"about" is a preposition, so it can be followed only by a noun. In this case, we have a clause.

If I am right, I think I deserve kudos. 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: Use of about vs that [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 10:49
kichha51 wrote:
Whats wrong with "A" ?

1) In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that
2) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
3) When referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety about
4) With reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
5) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that

think it may be tense problem- either it could be have expressed or simply express. Look at 2 things- current popularity of electronic mail and are being limited.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Use of about vs that [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
Chetangupta wrote:
kichha51 wrote:
Whats wrong with "A" ?

think it may be tense problem- either it could be have expressed or simply express. Look at 2 things- current popularity of electronic mail and are being limited.

ALSO, (somebody please correct me if I am wrong) I think a participle modifier "Referring .... " is preferred over a prepositional modifier "In reference to" for the noun "postal services".
eg. "According to ...." is preferred over "In accordance to/with ..."
eg. "Regarding ...." is preferred over "In regard to/with"
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 18

Re: In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 02:38
raghavakumar85 wrote:

* (A) In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that
* (B) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
* (C) When referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety about
* (D) With reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
* (E) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that

OA After Discussion!

my take is E. A,C and D are out for modifier error. in B "are being" has no legitimate subject. correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 46

In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 14:22

(A)In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that
(B)Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
(C)When referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety about
(D)With reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
(E)Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that

Need explanation & whats the difference between
anxiety about &anxiety that
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1422 [0], given: 245

Re: In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 09:41
Expert's post
First of all a few concepts:

This is a generalization observed by the postal people. . Use of present tense ‘express' is the most proper way of describing the verb. So choices that use ‘expressed. i.e., A, B, and D are out.

In C the use of ‘when referring to’ restricts the meaning to the narrow timing of reference, or even whenever the reference is made to. A generalization is however broader than that and hence the use of 'referring to' is more appropriate.
That makes E the choice.

(A)In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that
(B)Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
(C)When referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety about
(D)With reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
(E)Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that.

When you use a preposition such as ‘about’, you should follow it up with a noun or noun phrase (without a working verb). In B, C and D, the preposition ‘about’ is followed by a full clause ‘their prospects for remaining profitable are being limited by their antiquated business model.’ This is grammatically in correct.

On the contrary, E uses a proper subordinate connector ‘that ‘to introduce the subordinate clause. Hence E is grammatically correct.

Interestingly, here is a similar 1000 SC version. Q. N0. 397

397. In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit.
(A) In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that
(B) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about
(C) When referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety about
(D) With reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about
(E) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety that

Needless to say, the answer choice is E here also.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 05:29
--> In reference.... modifier should modify postal services. But here it is not. Also the complete sentence is in present tense ' Expressed' is in past
--> Correctly modify the first part but 'expressed' does not make sense
--> Subordinate clause has sub referring but no verb so sentence fragment
--> modifier does not go with postal services
(E)Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that
--> Make complete sense and tense is proper
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 70

Re: In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 21:21
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Re: In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail,   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2013, 21:21