Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In reply to Cameron's irrational criticisms, his friend told

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2007, 17:54
StartupAddict wrote:
I'm guessing it's not OG; OG would explain why all the other choices. But then again OG wouldn't ask a question like this when there are ambiguous choices.

I still think D is the only correct as 'his' has no antecedent.

Well D was my choice too when I got this wrong.
FYI for all , this question is from Kaplan course . The OE was just a copy paste from that course.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

[#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2007, 18:46
ashkrs wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:
I'm guessing it's not OG; OG would explain why all the other choices. But then again OG wouldn't ask a question like this when there are ambiguous choices.

FYI for all , this question is from Kaplan course . The OE was just a copy paste from that course.

no wonder Kaplan questions are sub-standard. they do not represent OG and real gmat-typ. i do not take kaplan questions/materials seriously.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 05:38
Fistail wrote:
ashkrs wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:

no wonder Kaplan questions are sub-standard. they do not represent OG and real gmat-typ. i do not take kaplan questions/materials seriously.

Agreed. Kaplan, McGraw Hill and Barrons are all extremely weak preperatory materials. It's much more worthwhile to study OG and Old Paper tests. Also, they tend to be less frustrating, as when you get an incorrect question like this :-)
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 06:09
I agree with you guys in general that only OG represents the real GMAT quality material but this one, IMO, is not bad regardless of its source.

We are required to pick the best available option. There may be a possibility that there may be more than one answers that seem right but, again, we have to pick the best available.

Actually this question made me go back and read my SC Bible (Manhattan SC) and it clearly states possessive pronouns can refer back to possessive nouns but their subject (he) and object (him) counterparts can not afford such luxury.

C. In reply to Cameron's irrational criticisms, his friend told Cameron that Cameron should probably leave

D. In reply to Cameron's irrational criticisms, Cameron's friend told Cameron that he should probably leave

Now, compare C and D

C:
* Uses 'his friend', a possessive pronoun referring back to 'Cameron's cri.'
and this is fine.
* I believe use of 'Cameron' after 'that' is excessive as with the use of word 'that' use of 'he' would have been better but it is not an issue.
* Finally, 'his friend' is a right noun modifying subject phrase in non-underlined part.
C looks good.

D:
* I believe 'Cameron's friend' in underlined section is excessive 'his friend' would have done the job just right.
* I like the use of 'he' after 'that' as this clearly refers back to Cameron clearly.
* 'Cameron's friend', though excessive, clearly modify the subject phrase in underlined section.

Weighing C and D, in my head, I lean towards C.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 06:31
StartupAddict wrote:
Fistail wrote:
ashkrs wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:

Agreed. Kaplan, McGraw Hill and Barrons are all extremely weak preperatory materials. It's much more worthwhile to study OG and Old Paper tests. Also, they tend to be less frustrating, as when you get an incorrect question like this :-)

in more precise term, materials other than OG, 1000 series, old tests, Manhattan, forum discussions are not fully dependable. some notes prepared by the forum members are excellent to understand the SC and other issues.

However they (materials other than OG, 1000 series, old tests, and Manhattan) can be used for practice but not completely reliable. I concur that nothing is worthless/useless and something can be learned from anything but they do not meet the OG standard.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 06:59
bmwhype2 wrote:
ashkrs wrote:
In reply to Cameron's irrational criticisms, his friend told Cameron that he should probably leave.

A his friend told Cameron that he should probably leave
possessive pronoun poison

B Cameron was told by his friend that he should probably leave
passive. no clear referent

C his friend told Cameron that Cameron should probably leave

D Cameron's friend told Cameron that he should probably leave
no clear referent

E his friend told him to leave probably
possessive pronoun poison

okay, i thought about this question on the train ride home. decided to look the concept up in MGMAT. :lol:

and i was wrong. :oops:

Possessive nouns can refer back to possessive pronouns.
subject and object pronouns CANNOT refer back to possessive pronouns.

Therefore
ABD are wrong for the use of He (subject pronoun)
E is wrong for the use of him (object pronoun)

only C is correct.

Live and learnnnnnnnn
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Cameron Friends [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 07:30
dwivedys wrote:
ashkrs wrote:
In reply to Cameron's irrational criticisms, his friend told Cameron that he should probably leave.

Guess easy for SC gurus...need one proper explanation

I have got another twister - I think it's B and here's why -

In reply to Cameron's irrational criticisms

For a moment, let's ignore the part in blue because it is prepositional and hence parenthetical (not crucial to the meaning of the sentence).

B is a complete sentence that makes sense - Cameron was told by his friend that he should probably leave.

I was hesitant in choosing B because it was passive. But the other choices seem grammatically incorrect to me and therefore passivity can be ignored.

Hi dwivedys...B has a modification error despite being passive.

You can't reply to your own criticisms...so Cameron in B after the intial phrase is wrong.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 07:39
C cannot be correct. what does "his" refers to? camaron or camron's? camron, which is not avaiable before his. so its clearly wrong.

only D should correct.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Cameron Friends [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 00:51
ashkrs wrote:

Guess easy for SC gurus...need one proper explanation

A C and E are out at first glance because his is refferring to Cameron's irrational criticisms not Cameron.

Between B and D , B is out because it uses passive voice and he refers to the friend rather than Cameron.

Voila. That leaves us with D which is the answer.
Re: SC - Cameron Friends   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2007, 00:51