Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In response to an upswing in traffic accidents and parking

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

In response to an upswing in traffic accidents and parking [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 21:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:11) correct 55% (01:08) wrong based on 40 sessions
In response to an upswing in traffic accidents and parking violations, the township of Beverly has decided to offer a road rules refresher course to registered drivers free of charge. Unfortunately, doing so will divert funds required for a previously planned municipal parking lot in the middle of the town's shopping district. The conclusion of these facts is that ___________________.
Question
Which of the following best completes the passage?

A some drivers who have been issued parking tickets in the last year will be targeted for the road rules refresher course.

B Beverly will not be able to offer its free road rules refresher course and begin construction of the downtown parking lot without exceeding its budget.

C Beverly places a higher priority on traffic safety than it does on the availability and accessibility of parking for its citizens

D parking quality will likely decline in Beverly as a result of the new road rules refresher course.

E owing to Beverly's budgetary constraints, the town will need to find a less expensive way to reduce traffic accidents and parking violations.

Can someone please explain if the OA is correct. I picked up C.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: In response to an upswing in traffic accidents [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
A some drivers who have been issued parking tickets in the last year will be targeted for the road rules refresher course. - It is stated in the passage that the course will be offered to all registered drivers - Incorrect

B Beverly will not be able to offer its free road rules refresher course and begin construction of the downtown parking lot without exceeding its budget. - Since the cash required for the course is taken from the budget alloted for the parking lot, hence both the programs cannot be offered to the public without exceeding the budget - Correct

C Beverly places a higher priority on traffic safety than it does on the availability and accessibility of parking for its citizens - This cannot be concluded for sure as there is no information that the plan for parking lot is cancelled. - Incorrect

D parking quality will likely decline in Beverly as a result of the new road rules refresher course. - The new plan for a parking lot will be slightly disturbed but the existing facilities will still be operational as usual. There will be no decline in the parking quality - Incorrect

E owing to Beverly's budgetary constraints, the town will need to find a less expensive way to reduce traffic accidents and parking violations. - Due to budget constrains, the amount needed for the course will be diverted from the budget of the parking lot. This means that the cost of course is covered. - Out of scope - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

Re: In response to an upswing in traffic accidents [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 07:50
sidhu09 wrote:
]

B Beverly will not be able to offer its free road rules refresher course and begin construction of the downtown parking lot without exceeding its budget. - Since the cash required for the course is taken from the budget alloted for the parking lot, hence both the programs cannot be offered to the public without exceeding the budget - Correct

Initially I thought sentence is written as " Beverly will not be able to offer its free road rules refresher course " and "Beverly will begin construction of the downtown parking lot without exceeding its budget. "
So I thought its wrong.

But now i realize that it is rather: " Beverly will not be able to offer its free road rules refresher course " and "Beverly will not be able to begin construction of the downtown parking lot" "without exceeding its budget".
So it seems B is correct.

But from B i can also make the first logical sentences which makes the meaning totally different and a wrong option. Is their a way to handle this

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Re: In response to an upswing in traffic accidents   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2012, 07:50