Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In response to mounting pubic concern, an airplane

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In response to mounting pubic concern, an airplane [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 10:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In response to mounting pubic concern, an airplane manufacturer implemented a program with the well-publicized goal of reducing by half the total yearly amount of hazardous waste generated by its passenger-jet division. When the program began in 1994, the division’s hazardous waste output was 90 pounds per production worker; last year it was 40 pounds per production worker. Clearly, therefore, charges that the manufacturer’s
program has not met its goal are false.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The amount of nonhazardous waste generated each year by the passenger-jet division has not increased significantly since 1994.

B. At least as many passenger jets were produced by the division last year as had been produced in 1994.

C. Since 1994, other divisions in the company have achieved reductions in hazardous waste output that are at least equal to that achieved in the passenger-jet division.

D. The average number of weekly hours per production worker in the passenger-jet division was not significantly greater last year than it was in 1994.

E. The number of production workers assigned to the passenger-jet division was not significantly less in 1994 than it was last year.

OA to be posted.

hey ya......

VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 11:13
E would be my answer.

A. The amount of nonhazardous waste generated each year by the passenger-jet division has not increased significantly since 1994.

If this was true, then the goal wasn't meant.

B. At least as many passenger jets were produced by the division last year as had been produced in 1994.

Scope. More jets/less jets...what is the total number of jets now and how does it affect the total waste ?

C. Since 1994, other divisions in the company have achieved reductions in hazardous waste output that are at least equal to that achieved in the passenger-jet division.

Scope..so what if other divisions have achieved this ?

D. The average number of weekly hours per production worker in the passenger-jet division was not significantly greater last year than it was in 1994.

Tempting..the question to ask it that if this is indeed an assumption..if we negate this..does this break down the argument ? It doesn't..the workers may work the same number of hours or more...what matters is the waste that they produce and the total number of workers.

E. The number of production workers assigned to the passenger-jet division was not significantly less in 1994 than it was last year.

Bingo..for the total waste to go down ( given as waste per production hour ), the number of workers have to remain the same. Otherwise, the conclusion that the goal was indeed met would be false.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 12:02
IMO E,

It is stupid to connect hazardous waste produced by Jets to number of people in the company..all you have to do is add more people to bring the percapita waste down...

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 13:41
E here as well. Same reasoning as ranga41
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 15:42
Clearly E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Public concern [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 15:48
Go with E.

per the argument, the pounds "per production worked" decreased from 90 to 40. If the number of workers did not change, the decrease is good...but what is the number of workers inceased? Therefore E is the assumption.

nakib77 wrote:
In response to mounting pubic concern, an airplane manufacturer implemented a program with the well-publicized goal of reducing by half the total yearly amount of hazardous waste generated by its passenger-jet division. When the program began in 1994, the division’s hazardous waste output was 90 pounds per production worker; last year it was 40 pounds per production worker. Clearly, therefore, charges that the manufacturer’s
program has not met its goal are false.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

OA to be posted.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 01:01
Isn't E so obvious. I picked E as well.

But to my surprise OA is B. Can anyone explain that.

hey ya......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 05:28
OA sounds BS to me...

you can always reason out any answer, As per B, If the company produces less jets obviously the hazardous waste produced by the company will go down and consequently the percapita waste will also go down, provided the no of people do not decrease.

Choice E talks about the number of people increasing, in which case also the percapita waste will go down, provided the number of jets manufactured does not increase considerably, This argumen IMO is more apt because the argument talks about waste per worker...

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 10:02
ranga41 wrote:
OA sounds BS to me...

you can always reason out any answer, As per B, If the company produces less jets obviously the hazardous waste produced by the company will go down and consequently the percapita waste will also go down, provided the no of people do not decrease.

Choice E talks about the number of people increasing, in which case also the percapita waste will go down, provided the number of jets manufactured does not increase considerably, This argumen IMO is more apt because the argument talks about waste per worker...

Can't agree with you more...... this OA really pissed me off

hey ya......

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 15:41
yes (E).
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 18:41
Oh I just love it when we guys are right and the OA is wrong!! :lol:

Cheers, Rahul.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 19:34
rahulraao wrote:
Oh I just love it when we guys are right and the OA is wrong!! :lol:

Share the same feeling, Rahul!!! :wink:
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Public concern [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 16:50
Any takers on this?
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Public concern [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 17:19
wow! there must be some thing wrong with me. I picked B

Here is what I did.

Goal is to reduce by half the total yearly amount of hazardous waste generated by its passenger-jet division

1994 HW = 90lb per worker

2004 HW = 40 lb per worker
HW per worker = total wastage / # of W's
Total wastage = wastage per flight X number of flights or sum of all wastages from each flight

Now looking at the conclusion charges that the manufacturer’s program has not met its goal are false.

HW pw can go down to 40 if the number of PW's is significantly less in 1994 compared to 04. denominator increased

Also HW pw can go down to 40 if the number of flight's is less in 2004 compared to 2004.
numerator decreased

Both B and E fit the assumption and I ended up choosing B as soon as I found it optimal. goal was about the reduction in HW and if the goals are really met then the waste should have gone down by the waste going down and not by increasing the number of workers. But I can see why any one can pick E. Slippery slope!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Public concern [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 19:05
If this is a Kaplan question, I'll be seriously pissed off -- the OA is nonsense. The correct answer has to be E, without any doubt whatsoever. The conclusion is that the manufacturer reduced the TOTAL yearly output of hazardous waste from its passenger jet division by half. The evidence is that its output of hazardous waste PER PRODUCTION WORKER was 90 pounds in 1994, but was 40 pounds last year.

Because the conclusion is about total waste and the evidence is about waste per worker, it is blatantly obvious that the argument depends on the number of workers NOT having increased significantly from 1994 to last year. This is E.

The number of jets produced (choice B) is completely irrelevant, because we have no information at all about the amount of waste per jet. We don't even have any information about number of workers per jet produced, so we can't relate (B) to the evidence that way either. Flights are even more irrelevant: Flights relate to what the airplane does after it LEAVES the manufacturer and goes into service with an airline. That has nothing to do with the argument at all.

What's the source of the question?

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Public concern [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 22:35
Agree that it should be E though "significantly" is little ambigious.

B is more ambigious.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Public concern [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 11:17
clearly E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Public concern [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2009, 03:27
E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Public concern [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2009, 07:20
Even i hv opted for B ...same logic as well explained by icandy ..
E is also very close contendor the right choice ..
Sad part is that still not able to strike of E with rock solid logic ...
Verbal gurus ... help pls !!

"CEO in making"

Re: CR - Public concern   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2009, 07:20