Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In response to office workers' worries .....

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 365
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 22

In response to office workers' worries ..... [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 23:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (02:41) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 10 sessions
In response to office workers' worries about the health risks associated with using video display terminals (VDTs), researchers asked office workers to estimate both the amount of time they had spent using VDTs and how often they had suffered headaches over the previous year. According to the survey, frequent VDT users suffered from headaches more often than other office workers did, leading researchers to conclude that VDTs cause headaches.
Which one of the following, if true, most undermines the researchers' conclusion?
(A) Few often office workers surveyed participated in regular health programs during the year in question.
(B) In their study the researchers failed to ask the workers to distinguish between severe migraine headaches and mild headaches.
(C) Previous studies have shown that the glare from VDT screens causes some users to suffer eyestrain.
(D) Office workers who experienced frequent headaches were more likely than other workers to overestimate how much time they spent using VDTs.
(E) Office workers who regularly used VDTs experienced the same amount of job-related stress as workers who did not use VDTs.

OA to follow. Please explain the answer choice and reason..
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Lap
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 290
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 85

Re: In response to office workers' worries ..... [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 04:10
So, using VDT more frequently causes headaches

This is about causality , if you show that when the effect occurs , the cause doesn't occur then you will weaken the argument for sure.

D weakens the argument showing that even if the effect occurs ( Headaches) the cause does not occur ( Overestimating the amount of time spent using VDT , so it's not necessarly VDT that causes headaches)

A- Wrong, doesn't adress why a population is more concerned about a phenomenon than other is ( too general)
B- Wrong, doesn't attack the cause (VDT) , it talks only about types of migrain experienced by the workers
C- Wrong, clearly Out of Scope
E- Wrong, this option could be correct if it clearly assumes that Stress causes headaches.
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 365
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 22

Re: In response to office workers' worries ..... [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 06:48
Rock750 wrote:
So, using VDT more frequently causes headachesThis is about causality , if you show that when the effect occurs , the cause doesn't occur then you will weaken the argument for sure.

D weakens the argument showing that even if the effect occurs ( Headaches) the cause does not occur ( Overestimating the amount of time spent using VDT , so it's not necessarly VDT that causes headaches)

A- Wrong, doesn't adress why a population is more concerned about a phenomenon than other is ( too general)
B- Wrong, doesn't attack the cause (VDT) , it talks only about types of migrain experienced by the workers
C- Wrong, clearly Out of Scope
E- Wrong, this option could be correct if it clearly assumes that Stress causes headaches.
I like your approach. But I will take parts from your answer which I have been trying to grapple.
Causal Argument Conclusion to be focused: VDT more frequently causes headaches.
(D) Office workers who experienced frequent headaches were more likely than other workers to overestimate how much time they spent using VDTs.

Restate of D:
More frequent headache bearers overestimate time spent with VDTs.
Here is excerpt of your first line(also highlighted above):
Using VDT more frequently causes headaches.

I am not able to compare how D is negatively affecting the causality(In fact, I perceive an inkling of support/strengthen here if I replace "time spent with VDTs" in restate of D with "Using VDT" as in your response. D will then become "More frequent headache bearers if they use VDT more(as it is not that important)")
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Lap
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 290
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 85

Re: In response to office workers' worries ..... [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 07:09
Okay i get your point

Lets assume that these headache bearers spend in reality 4hours/ day using VDT
But when researchers asked them about the time spent using VDT , headache bearers had overestimated the time say 9hours/day as per option D, leading to a flawed survey. So, we can conclude that even if the effect is there (headache), the cause assumed by researchers is irrelevant.
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 365
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 22

Re: In response to office workers' worries ..... [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 07:43
Rock750 wrote:
Okay i get your point

Lets assume that these headache bearers spend in reality 4hours/ day using VDT
But when researchers asked them about the time spent using VDT , headache bearers had overestimated the time say 9hours/day as per option D, leading to a flawed survey. So, we can conclude that even if the effect is there (headache), the cause assumed by researchers is irrelevant.
Thanks for responding but I am more confused now. :oops: I considered the choice D as an observed fact targeting other facts in the arguments to weaken the argument. Never looked into choice as a survey. Is this a specific strategy to attack conclusion? :idea:

Let me take the survey approach as well.
Wouldn't an irrelevant survey as just indicated above will be similar to the rest of other irrelevant choices A/B/C/E in absence of any hint of causality in choice D?
To add to this, in D, we are indirectly crediting the theory that headaches in bearers are somehow correlated with VDTs(though overestimated). Isn't it?
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Lap
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 290
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 85

Re: In response to office workers' worries ..... [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 07:59
joshnsit wrote:
Rock750 wrote:
Okay i get your point

Lets assume that these headache bearers spend in reality 4hours/ day using VDT
But when researchers asked them about the time spent using VDT , headache bearers had overestimated the time say 9hours/day as per option D, leading to a flawed survey. So, we can conclude that even if the effect is there (headache), the cause assumed by researchers is irrelevant.
Thanks for responding but I am more confused now. :oops: I considered the choice D as an observed fact targeting other facts in the arguments to weaken the argument. Never looked into choice as a survey. Is this a specific strategy to attack conclusion? :idea:

Let me take the survey approach as well.
Wouldn't an irrelevant survey as just indicated above will be similar to the rest of other irrelevant choices A/B/C/E in absence of any hint of causality in choice D?
To add to this, in D, we are indirectly crediting the theory that headaches in bearers are somehow correlated with VDTs(though overestimated). Isn't it?


Ur welcome
The researchers made their conclusion based upon the survey. So, if u show that the answers that they get from the survey are flawed then the conclusion is flawed.
and that what D do ..

Not sure if i get ur second question.

For the third question: yes it is ..
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Manager
Manager
Status: Respect GMAT.. Some day u will be graced!!!
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 119
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 14

Re: In response to office workers' worries ..... [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 11:35
Again a typical causal argument that GMAT loves to test. The closer you stick to the causality, the better you can spot the right answer. Now observe the causal relationship in the argument.

Frequent VDT usage causes headaches.

Suppose a relation, A causes B. There are several ways to weaken it.

1) C causes B
2) A does not cause B
3) B causes A (Inverse relation)

Back to our argument. Consider choice D. If people who suffer frequent headaches are likely to overestimate the amount of time they spend using VDTs, then frequent usage of VDTs may not be the reason for headaches among them as they tend to report inaccurate usage. This is the inverse relation that attacks the conclusion by pointing that the survey results cannot be held valid.

Hope I made some sense.
_________________

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 365
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 22

Re: In response to office workers' worries ..... [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 10:26
cssk wrote:
Again a typical causal argument that GMAT loves to test. The closer you stick to the causality, the better you can spot the right answer. Now observe the causal relationship in the argument.

Frequent VDT usage causes headaches.

Suppose a relation, A causes B. There are several ways to weaken it.

1) C causes B
2) A does not cause B
3) B causes A (Inverse relation)

Back to our argument. Consider choice D. If people who suffer frequent headaches are likely to overestimate the amount of time they spend using VDTs, then frequent usage of VDTs may not be the reason for headaches among them as they tend to report inaccurate usage. This is the inverse relation that attacks the conclusion by pointing that the survey results cannot be held valid.

Hope I made some sense.
Thanks guys. OA is D. I also got it in first attempt but it took a while for me to assimilate this choice properly with comments above and below .

Lets assume that these headache bearers spend in reality 4hours/ day using VDT.
But when researchers asked them about the time spent using VDT , headache bearers had overestimated the time say 9hours/day as per option D, leading to a flawed survey. So, we can conclude that even if the effect is there (headache), the cause assumed by researchers is irrelevant.

_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 03 May 2013
Posts: 297
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 36

CAT Tests
Re: In response to office workers' worries ..... [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 09:16
In response to office workers' worries about the health risks associated with using video display terminals (VDTs), researchers asked office workers to estimate both the amount of time they had spent using VDTs and how often they had suffered headaches over the previous year. According to the survey, frequent VDT users suffered from headaches more often than other office workers did, leading researchers to conclude that VDTs cause headaches.
Which one of the following, if true, most undermines the researchers' conclusion?
(A) Few often office workers surveyed participated in regular health programs during the year in question. We are not concerned with how often one participated in health programmes....
(B) In their study the researchers failed to ask the workers to distinguish between severe migraine headaches and mild headaches. Level of headache is not our concern...
(C) Previous studies have shown that the glare from VDT screens causes some users to suffer eyestrain. [b]We are not bothered about eye strain....[/b]
(D) Office workers who experienced frequent headaches were more likely than other workers to overestimate how much time they spent using VDTs. [color=#ed1c24]Means large amount of time spent in front of VDT may not have caused headache.....[/color] CORRECT
(E) Office workers who regularly used VDTs experienced the same amount of job-related stress as workers who did not use VDTs. WE are not worried about stress....


Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.
Re: In response to office workers' worries .....   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2013, 09:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts worried willnotgiveup 4 06 Dec 2005, 21:51
New posts In an office, 40 percent of the workers have at least 5 forgmat 5 05 Jun 2007, 00:18
New posts In an office, 40 percent of the workers have at least 5 el1981 7 31 Mar 2008, 18:38
New posts source:LSAT 27-SECTION I ========== Most office workers nitya34 5 09 Mar 2009, 01:05
New posts Most office workers assume that the messages they send to rs2010 9 05 Apr 2009, 18:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In response to office workers' worries .....

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.