Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In response to the increasing cost of producing energy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 0

In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2007, 17:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In response to the increasing cost of producing energy through traditional means, such as combustion, many utility companies have begun investing in renewable energy sources, chiefly wind and solar power, hoping someday to rely on them completely and thus lower energy costs. The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they will provide stable energy supplies at low cost. As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability.

The claim of the utility companies presupposes which of the following?

(A) The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power.
(B) No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future.
(C) Weather patterns are consistent and predictable.
(D) The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology needed to create energy through combustion.
(E) Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky.

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 01:59
Straight C.

If weather patterns were not predictable and consistent, then the future supply of the renewable energy would not be smooth, not unlike that of current market-prone petroleum and gas supplies.\

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 67

In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 12:04
In response to the increasing cost of producing energy through traditional means, such as combustion, many utility companies have begun investing in renewable energy sources, chiefly wind and solar power, hoping someday to rely on them completely and thus lower energy costs. The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they will provide stable energy supplies at low cost. As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability.

A The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power.
B No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future.
C Weather patterns are consistent and predictable.
D The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology needed to create energy through combustion.
E Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky.

OA Later
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-21-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 8

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy---- [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 12:09
answer is C which is the assumption "Weather patterns are consistent and predictable."

KPV

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy---- [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 12:10
Archit143 wrote:

A The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power. no relation to stimulus
B No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future. never says that,plus too extreme
C Weather patterns are consistent and predictable.correct as solar and wind need consistent weather
D The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology needed to create energy through combustion.stimulus says its more capital extensive
E Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky.[color=#ff0000]out of scope/color]

OA Later
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 269

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy---- [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 03:20
+1 C

It is an “Assumption” type question

Premise 1 - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy through traditional means, such as combustion, many utility companies have begun investing in renewable energy sources, chiefly wind and solar power hoping someday to rely on them completely and thus lower energy costs

Premise 2 - The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they

Premise 3 or Sub-Conclusion - will provide stable energy supplies at low cost.

Conclusion - As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability

If we look at Premise 2 and Premise 3 (sub-conclusion), the company concludes that renewable source provide stable energy supplies at low cost in spite of the fact that it requires high initial cost. There is an assumption here i.e. the weather patterns (a pre-requisite for solar and wind power) will be consistent and predictable. If you negate this statement it completely destroys the sub-conclusion and also the main conclusion.

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 134

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 15:46
So, the reason I chose B is

Quote:
whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability.

We have a clear statement in the conclusion which depends on the availability of non-renewable sources.

I did not choose C because even though we know it through common knowledge, the passage did not mention how important a role the weather would play w.r.t harnessing renewable energy.

Any views?

Also, I find many MGMAT CR questions with debatable OA. Would such appear on the GMAT ( what I mean is 2 partially correct answers)

- Stay Hungry, stay Foolish -

Intern
Intern
WE: Marketing (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

In response to the increasing cost of producing energy throu [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 07:16
In response to the increasing cost of producing energy through traditional means, such as combustion, many utility companies have begun investing in renewable energy sources, chiefly wind and solar power, hoping someday to rely on them completely and thus lower energy costs. The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they will provide stable energy supplies at low cost. As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability. The claim of the utility companies presupposes which of the following?

The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power.
    No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future.
    Weather patterns are consistent and predictable.
    The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology
    needed to create energy through combustion.
    Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky.

I approached the question by finding the conc - renewable sources will be less risky than non renewable resources such as gas,oil, coal etc whose prices fluctuate as per availability.

Now if I can make the energy from non-renewable sources less risky I am home , but the answer choice adds some external information which acc to powerscore CR is not allowed. Please help where I am going wrong ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Stern '16
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy throu [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 07:44
Go for C

The utility company believes that switching over to renewable resources like solar or wind is a good plan because it assumes that the climate will not change or it will be predictable and there will be no fluctuation in the supply .....just as in case of oil and natural gas.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1390 [0], given: 122

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy throu [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 16:14
deepri0812 wrote:
I approached the question by finding the conc - renewable sources will be less risky than non renewable resources such as gas,oil, coal etc whose prices fluctuate as per availability.

Now if I can make the energy from non-renewable sources less risky I am home , but the answer choice adds some external information which acc to powerscore CR is not allowed. Please help where I am going wrong ?

Hi deepri0812
As far as I know, you selected E and you're asking why E is wrong?

This is assumption question, the most important thing is conclusion. What is conclusion here? (1) renewable energy sources will provide stable energy supplies at low cost OR (2) nonrenewable energy sources are very risky? Clearly, the conclusion is the former sentence. If it's true, what makes these renewable sources more stable ==> the weather pattern must be consistent and predictable. ==> C is correct.

How about E. E says "Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky". It also means Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources in the future can be made as risky as it can be made now. This is just the premise in the stimulus, how it can be an assumption? If you don't believe, negate E.

Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, CAN BE MADE less risky. It doesn't help anything to conclude renewable energy sources are stable. Hence, E is wrong.

Take away
- Finding conclusions in Assumption question is the most important.
- Negation technique.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 19:20
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything in the forum.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [3] , given: 185

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 19:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I see a lot of good posts on this thread and quite a number of similar explanations for the correctness of Option C.

However, as I look at the explanations given, I can see that they are not accurate. Most of the explanations revolve around the last line of the passage i.e.

"As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability."

The reasoning is that since renewable sources are less risky than nonrenewable sources whose prices can fluctuate dramatically, the assumption inbuilt is that the prices of renewable sources will be stable. This is an incorrect assumption. The only assumption is that the prices of renewable sources will be less fluctuating than nonrenewable sources; not that the prices of renewable sources will not fluctuate at all.

But then, how come Option C is the answer?

The answer is that you need to look at the second last statement of the passage - which also happens to be the claim of the utility companies but conveniently ignored by almost all of us in the analysis. Look at the question stem - it specifically talks about the claim of the utility companies. Both the second last and last statements of the passage are claims of the utility companies. We just cannot take second last statement as a given fact - it is a claim, which needs to be evaluated in this question.

So, what is the second last statement saying?

"The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they will provide stable energy supplies at low cost."

Now, tell me what is the assumption in the above statement?

The answer is option C. Because unless weather patterns are consistent and predictable, the renewable energy sources will not provide stable energy supplies.

That's it. The answer is quite simple to understand if we look at this second last statement. Isn't it?

Hope this helps a bit :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy throu [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 19:52
deepri0812 wrote:
In response to the increasing cost of producing energy through traditional means, such as combustion, many utility companies have begun investing in renewable energy sources, chiefly wind and solar power, hoping someday to rely on them completely and thus lower energy costs. The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they will provide stable energy supplies at low cost. As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability. The claim of the utility companies presupposes which of the following?

The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power.
    No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future.
    Weather patterns are consistent and predictable.
    The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology
    needed to create energy through combustion.
    Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky.

First thing to find out: what is the claim of the utility companies? Answer: "they (renewable energy sources) will provide stable energy supplies at low cost".

Point to note: claim of the utility companies is not "these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability."
First and last line in the argument are author's statements. Only second line has the claim of the utility companies.

A) This statement does not provide any information on whether renewable energy sources will provide stable energy supplies at low cost. Wrong.
B) Out of scope as the claim does not have the concern on traditional energy sources. Rather the concern is on achieving low cost from renewable energy sources. Wrong.
C) Wind and solar power is dependent on weather and nature. This option is correlated with renewable energy sources. Right option.
D) This point already addressed in the utility companies' claim -- initial capital investment must be inclusive of required technology cost and stable low cost includes operational cost. Hence it is not an assumption. Wrong.
E) This is also out of scope as the claim does not have the concern on traditional energy sources. Rather the concern is on achieving low cost from renewable energy sources. Wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 20:04
egmat wrote:
I see a lot of good posts on this thread and quite a number of similar explanations for the correctness of Option C.

However, as I look at the explanations given, I can see that they are not accurate. Most of the explanations revolve around the last line of the passage i.e.

"As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability."

The reasoning is that since renewable sources are less risky than nonrenewable sources whose prices can fluctuate dramatically, the assumption inbuilt is that the prices of renewable sources will be stable. This is an incorrect assumption. The only assumption is that the prices of renewable sources will be less fluctuating than nonrenewable sources; not that the prices of renewable sources will not fluctuate at all.

But then, how come Option C is the answer?

The answer is that you need to look at the second last statement of the passage - which also happens to be the claim of the utility companies but conveniently ignored by almost all of us in the analysis. Look at the question stem - it specifically talks about the claim of the utility companies. Both the second last and last statements of the passage are claims of the utility companies. We just cannot take second last statement as a given fact - it is a claim, which needs to be evaluated in this question.

So, what is the second last statement saying?

"The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they will provide stable energy supplies at low cost."

Now, tell me what is the assumption in the above statement?

The answer is option C. Because unless weather patterns are consistent and predictable, the renewable energy sources will not provide stable energy supplies.

That's it. The answer is quite simple to understand if we look at this second last statement. Isn't it?

Hope this helps a bit :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

The problem or confusion in a nutshell:
First and last line in the stimulus are author's statements. Only the second line in the stimulus has the claim of the utility companies. However, because of the argument structure, many people are treating the last line as the claim of utility companies and thus the wrong answers are considered as right.

Once the actual claim of the utility companies becomes clear, answer to the question becomes very easy to find.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-12-2013

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 35

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 02:08

(A) The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power.
(B) No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future.
(C) Weather patterns are consistent and predictable.
(D) The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology needed to create energy through combustion.
(E) Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky.

In this question:
Premise: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy through traditional means, such as combustion, many utility companies have begun investing in renewable energy sources, chiefly wind and solar power, hoping someday to rely on them completely and thus lower energy costs

Conclusion 1: The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they will provide stable energy supplies at low cost.

Conclusion 2: As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability.

Read: Conclusion 2 + Therefore, Conclusion 1. (Therefore test)

hence, answer - C

If KUDOS then gmatclub Test series.
YEAH!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 03:03

• The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power.
• No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future.
• Weather patterns are consistent and predictable.
• The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology needed to create energy through combustion.
• Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky.

Source: gmatclub compilation - CR 700-800 level practice questions
Expert Post
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 03:20
Expert's post
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
Source: gmatclub compilation - CR 700-800 level practice questions

Already discussed mate.. You can find it here-------> http://gmatclub.com/forum/in-response-to-the-increasing-cost-of-producing-energy-46580.html#p495719

Please search the forum before posting, thanks :) ... All the questions in that list would have been discussed..

Believe you can and you're halfway there- Theodore Roosevelt

Rules for posting in Quants Forum || Rules for posting in verbal forum

Improving from V30 to V40 | Improving from Q35-40 to Q47 | Bunuel Special Problem Collections New!!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: In response to the increasing cost of producing energy   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2013, 03:20