Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In response to the increasing cost of producing energy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2007, 17:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (02:18) correct 47% (01:19) wrong based on 440 sessions
In response to the increasing cost of producing energy through traditional means, such as combustion, many utility companies have begun investing in renewable energy sources, chiefly wind and solar power, hoping someday to rely on them completely and thus lower energy costs. The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they will provide stable energy supplies at low cost. As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability.

The claim of the utility companies presupposes which of the following?

(A) The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power.
(B) No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future.
(C) Weather patterns are consistent and predictable.
(D) The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology needed to create energy through combustion.
(E) Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 04:01
Is it C?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 10:29
Tough call between A and C. I tilt towards C though
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 10:36
Another C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 11:11
C as well.

I was gonna go with D till I realized that they acknowledge the initial cost in the paragraph.

What's the answer?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 10:51
r019h wrote:
C as well.

I was gonna go with D till I realized that they acknowledge the initial cost in the paragraph.

What's the answer?

Me too
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
In response to the increasing cost of producing energy [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 05:38
In response to the increasing cost of producing energy through traditional means, such as combustion, many utility companies have begun investing in renewable energy sources, chiefly wind and solar power, hoping someday to rely on them completely and thus lower energy costs. The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they will provide stable energy supplies at low cost. As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability.

A The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power.
B No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future.
C Weather patterns are consistent and predictable.
D The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology needed to create energy through combustion.
E Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky.

I took 3mins to solve it but still went wrong...!!

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Wind Power [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 05:57
A The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power.
B No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future.
C Weather patterns are consistent and predictable.
D The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology needed to create energy through combustion.
E Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky.

I think the answer is B since the discussion deals mostly with economic benefits of using renewable energy. And B cleary indicates that discovering no new deposit in world will drive up the prices of gas,oil and coal which will make the author's explanation right. What is the original answer?

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 104 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Wind Power [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:

A The public will embrace the development of wind and solar power. -> out of scope.eliminate
B No new deposits of gas, oil, and coal will be discovered in the near future.-> the new approach is due to fluctuation in availability not due to absence of resources of conventional fuels sources.Even if we get reserves and they get exhausted then this assumption proves wrong.Eliminate.
C Weather patterns are consistent and predictable. -> perfect since the whole article talks about going for renewable energy source due to its stable availability.Hence lets do a negation test : negate this statement and see.Weather is fluctuating and unpredictable then how are we supposed to get sunshine and wind at a stable level to harness energy.argument falls apart then.Hence this i the presupposition in the argument.IMO (C)
D The necessary technology for conversion to wind and solar power is not more expensive than the technology needed to create energy through combustion. -> its already said in passage that initial costs are high .these might be applicable to this clause.hence its not assumption
E Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, cannot be made less risky. -> its not that obtaining energy from gas,oil and coal is risky.its the sources availabilty .eliminate

I took 3mins to solve it but still went wrong...!!

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy. [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 16:40
Did anyone think about b? Frankly but C has not connection with the argument, I some how feel that c is outside the scope. I think B is the best answer.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 33

Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy. [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 17:59
The utility companies claim that although these sources require significant initial capital investment, they will provide stable energy supplies at low cost. But this is possible only if " Weather patterns are consistent and predictable. ".

Thus C
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 18:57
dahcrap wrote:
Tough call between A and C. I tilt towards C though

I don't know if the public embracing the technologies is too relevant. However, "C" surely is.

cP

Just a few electrons short of a full cloud...

Intern
Intern

Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy. [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 19:06
marshpa wrote:
Did anyone think about b? Frankly but C has not connection with the argument, I some how feel that c is outside the scope. I think B is the best answer.

Could "B" be included in
Quote:
As a result, these sources will be less risky for the utilities than nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil, and coal, whose prices can fluctuate dramatically according to availability.

It wouldn't be prudent to place a windmill/turbine where the wind blows strongly only once a year, or solar panels where there wasn't enough sun on a very consistent basis.

cP

Just a few electrons short of a full cloud...

Intern
Intern

Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy. [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 02:39
I would vote for c
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy. [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 03:41
I will go with C) as well
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy. [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 07:11
Hi, I would go for D,
because high cost = High risk
If the cost of conversion to solar power > cost of conversion of non renewable sources
Solar Power risk> Non renewable sources risk
If these costs were not presupposed then utilities would not believe that the cost/risk of investing in non renewable sources would be cheaper.
Intern
Intern

Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy. [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 15:22
C.

The only way renewable sources of energy are going to be less risky is be if the weather pattern is predictable i.e source of obtaining reneweable sources is stable/predictable.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy. [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 06:44
C for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy. [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 06:51
Why not E? What is the OA?

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 169 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy. [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
I chose E as my answer. If you negate option E, it will weaken the argument. Here's how to do it:

e) Obtaining energy from nonrenewable sources, such as gas, oil and coal, CAN be made less risky

by changing from "cannot" to "can", the negated result will weaken the argument big time, so this must be the correct answer.
Re: CR - In response to the increasing cost of producing energy.   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2008, 08:52